Lycra-clad cycling psychos kill 77-year-old

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Larrington
[email protected] says...
> In news:[email protected],
> Arthur Brain <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
> us:
>
> > I would say that car drivers driving through a red light is a very
> > rare occurrence

> You are, of course, at liberty to say what you like, but in this case you
> would be this: wrong.

Certainly around here he would be - when I first moved to the Midlands
it took me a while to figure out what the lights mean.
Amber - speed up.
Red - the person behind you has to stop, if he feels like it.
Red and amber - time to do an impression of a F1 start, preferably
changing lanes or turning across oncoming traffic.
Also those cross-hatched yellow boxes are just pretty decoration on the
road, mandatory cycle lanes were apparently a mistake by the road
painter, white lines at junctions should always be straddled ...

Tony Raven wrote:
> Half a Brain wrote:
>>
>> I would say that car drivers driving through a red light is a very
>> rare occurrence, but I think we all know that cyclists flout the rules
>> of the road with gay abandon - sometimes with tragic results.
>>

> ROFLMAO. Now I know you are a bona fide Troll.
>
> When the UK motoring organisation the RAC did checks they found that one
> in ten drivers crossed more than THREE SECONDS after the lights had
> turned to red and one in five bus drivers. Tranport for London also
> found fifty percent more cyclists were killed on green by motorists
> running red lights than were killed by running red lights themselves. So
> while it is no excuse for running red lights on a bicycle, it is
> behaviour by no means unique to cyclists nor much of risk to anyone
> other than the cyclists themselves.

Heck, even in the "the hood" where many of the drivers are unlicensed
(but armed) and many of the vehicles and/or their registrations stolen,
running red lights (other than "late yellow") is very rare. These are
the same drivers that drive 20-40 mph over the speed limit, pass to the
right in the bus/bike/parking lane, follow at less than 1/2 vehicle
length, etc. The same is true of the MFFY drivers in the more affluent
areas of Chicagoland, who are very aggressive about violating the
right-of-way of others in their luxury automobiles and SUV's. Is running
red lights actually something that the British are worse about than the
USians?

I have run quite a few red lights after stopping on a bicycle in the
Chicagoland area. However, this is legal since the lights are
"non-functional" for a bicycle due to the loop detectors being set too
insensitively.