Lysterfield Park - Commonwealth Games Track

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by blove8, Feb 19, 2006.

1. blove8

blove8 New Member

Tags:

2. SomeGuy

SomeGuy New Member

3. blove8

blove8 New Member

Thanks for the resource mate! This is just what I was looking for. :D

BTW, have you been riding the track built just for the competition? Do you know when they built it? I was here about a year ago and they hadn't even started on it. I'm looking forward to checking it out sometime this week. Thanks again.

4. MattyP

MattyP New Member

5. blove8

blove8 New Member

Thanks for the info Matt and welcome to the forum!

I'm hoping to ride down to Lysterfield from Selby sometime this week to check it out. I'm looking forward to it. I just hope my legs hold up. I've taken a few months off from the bike and know I'm nowhere near the kind of shape I'd like to be in. Ah well, it'll come back quick after some riding around these gorgeous hills. Thanks again. :D

6. cycleski

cycleski New Member

You get points for riding on the public roads out there loose shoulders and trucks are a poor mix. My name for Lysterfield Park is Mt Lysterfield, always wish my bike was just a lot lighter after the first hour of the ride :eek:. Good range of tracks though and a quick dip in the lake with gear on to cool down is the way to go on a hot day :cool:. Some big kangas in there as well.

7. blove8

blove8 New Member

Oops.. double post.. see below. :rolleyes:

Oh, and no kangas for me on this ride. Saw movement at times but never was able to zero in on any. I skipped the dip in the lake tho I think I should not have. Will remember to do that next time. :)

8. blove8

blove8 New Member

I know what you mean about the roads and the traffic cycleski... it gets pretty burly late in the afternoon as I was reminded of Friday. I also forgot about how big some of those hills are on Wellington Rd. I managed to get to the Logan Track entrance without any close calls on the road. Most motorists seem quite good about letting you have your space. Of course a few who push the boundary a bit. At least I didn't have something chucked at me like what happened to me going up Mt Dandenong last year. ;)

So anyway, I got to Logan track.. smooth, straight, fast, and wide as I remembered it. The temp was around 30 I suspect, real warm on the road but not bad at all in the woods. I ended up cruising around the lake to the beginning of trail 7... took that up to trail 6 where I eventually ran into the "competition trail" or "#10" staging areas and such. Chatted a bit with the security guard there and looked at the map. Trails 6 and 7 were a blast on the way up tho I wasn't sure if I was going the correct direction.. come to find out, riders go either way on those trails. Something I'm not so used to. I mainly tend to ride loops with specified direction back in the states.

I rode the competition trail (the proper direction, though I wasn't quite sure for about 1/4 of the ride :eek:) and loved it.. some fun sections and difficult sections.. especially for a first ride. I think it will take me a few to learn the right lines. I dabbed a 2 or 3 times and it seemed like each time I dabbed the cuckaburros would laugh. :p I'd like to see them try it! ;)

Anyway, rode all of the trail and really liked the granite boulder area with multiple lines available. Next time I'll check out a different one. The big climb was interesting. One of the granite strewn switchbacks caught me up. It's a nice climb which will definitely get the heart rate movin and the climb is quite worth the ride down. A nice long fast downhill singletrack riding experience. I also dug the burmed switchbacks.. fun! One portion I wasn't all that fond of were the staggered logs at the beginning of the raised track portions. Not sure what those logs are meant do but they really seem to deter hitting the raise stuff with any speed. Maybe they could be bunny hopped? I don't know, will be interesting to see what these elite riders will do in a few weeks.

It would be nice to be able to watch certain portions of the track but it seems there will only be limited spectating areas for the event. Anyone know more about how it will be run during the games?

By the time I finished the comp trail I was on a high from the awesome experience. I flew back down trails #6 and #7 where I came upon the first group of riders I had seen that day. A group of 5 riders were coming up #6. I then met a couple other riders who briefly chatted with and followed them across the rez embankment. Once to the picnic area I refilled the water bottle and prepared for the dreaded ride home. I popped out to Hallam-Belgrave Rd and creeped along. They have been working on the shoulder and now have a nice wide tar/gravel shoulder to work with and work signs to dodge. This was also the case with the eastbound turn onto Wellington. They have been working on the shoulder on the way back up to Selby and that was real nice because I could get way out of the traffics way by riding on the smooth hardpacked shoulder that has been developed.

Once I got back to the house I knew I wasn't done riding for that day. I had to order and pick up my Jade Valley (congrats, I did it!) dinner in Belgrave. You guessed it, I rode into town to do that and it provided a nice cooldown. I was so tapped out from the ride I feel asleep before even eating anything. I haven't riden that distance since problably about a year ago. I thought I was going to regret it today but ended feeling quite good so I ended up riding Selby > Emerald > Monbulk > Olinda > Belgrave > and home. I felt quite strong. I was right about these hills and how they would pop me back into shape real quick.

Hmm, now could I possibly hack another ride out to the Comp Trail again this weekend? Sounds like fun! Time will only tell. ;)

[​IMG]

Image: At the top of the big climb looking down the fast single track. What a day!!! :D