M.e.a.t. Instead Of R.i.c.e. For Injuries

Vickeree said:
I recently sprained my ankle and i wished ive read this article before i iced my foot to death! Basically says Meat stands for movement elevate analgesic and treatment is better than icing. http://www.menshealth.ph/health/know-your-body/this-is-why-you-shouldn-t-ice-your-injuries?ref
Hm, that's an interesting article, but I'm afraid I don't have a sufficient scientific knowledge of this problem to say if it works or not.

I do have a story of when I sprained my ankle few years ago. I'd say it was more than just a sprain since my ankle got really swollen and I couldn't put any weight on the foot days later. Maybe it was a sprain though, I don't know, I never went to see the doctor. I put my foot in the ice. And I iced it that night before going back to sleep and tomorrow the swelling has decreased, but it took some more icing to finally be able to walk like a normal human. Point is, this was two or three years ago and my ankle still hurts when I squat, at that same exact spot where I sprained it. So maybe ice wasn't the best long term solution.

My left foot was really ugly that night... red and swollen to the point where i could not see the veins in my foot band it was painful going down the stairs and putting weight on it. I didnt ice it anymore just a lot of topical ginger coconut oil,mentol and 2 days after i was able to run 21km! (Signed up for the run before the injury) there still some pain now but i can walk without limping already following m.e.a.t. :)
@bykster maybe your sprain was a lot more serious than mine? Have you ever checked with a doctor?

Vickeree said:
My left foot was really ugly that night... red and swollen to the point where i could not see the veins in my foot band it was painful going down the stairs and putting weight on it. I didnt ice it anymore just a lot of topical ginger coconut oil,mentol and 2 days after i was able to run 21km! (Signed up for the run before the injury) there still some pain now but i can walk without limping already following m.e.a.t. :)
@bykster maybe your sprain was a lot more serious than mine? Have you ever checked with a doctor?
No, and I think I really really should've. Do you think there's any possibility to reverse the effect that sprain has had on me? I know it's a long shot though.

Icing helps with reducing swelling not healing the injury. Thus getting treatment along with icing it should aid in quicker recovery

For a sprain, we don't apply ice since ice only diminishes the pain but does not do any good to the sprain. At least that's what the chiropractor told us. What we use is the leaves of manana, a certain herb that abounds here. Folding the leaves and applying it by pressing on the affected area relieves the pain and makes the swelling subside. When there is no available herb, vicks vaporub or any other warm ointment is applied. The heat (warmth of the ointment) tends to calm the sprain and the swelling will be gone in a day or two.

bykster said:
No, and I think I really really should've. Do you think there's any possibility to reverse the effect that sprain has had on me? I know it's a long shot though.
Ive had ankle sprain before on the same foot and it was able to completely heal but it took a while. My current sprain has almost no swelling now after a week but still some pain on a certain range of motion. Yours might have some fracture too but a physical therapy and rehab would bring it back to normal, thanks for sharing your story! im going to have my ankle check and probably rehab just as a precaution.i wouldnt have done it otherwise .

I never knew the specific acronyms, but looking at them now I've always kind of used a combination of both to deal with minor injuries.

Normally I would keep a sprained ankle iced, but I would also definitely use analgesics and keep it elevated which all combined keeps the pain to a minimum. I'm not surprised to see movement either because I've always found that some gentle stretches help once the pain starts to recede a bit.

A tensor bandage can make a big difference too, especially if you have to be up on your feet.

Hey, that's an interesting article you've shared! It's always good to learn new approaches to recovery. While we're on the topic of performance enhancement, have you considered incorporating specific sprinting drills into your training routine?

In cycling, a powerful sprint can make all the difference in a race. It's not just about raw strength; technique and strategy play crucial roles too. Practicing short, intense efforts can help improve your explosive power and acceleration.

Try including sprints of varying durations in your workouts - anything from 10 seconds to a minute. Remember, quality over quantity is key here. Focus on maintaining proper form and high cadence throughout the sprint.

Also, analyzing professional races can provide valuable insights into various sprint strategies. Watch how the pros position themselves before the final kick, and try implementing similar tactics in your own rides.

Remember, the key to mastering sprints lies in consistent practice and smart training. Happy sprinting! :)