M-SR Spoiler

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Roadrash Dunc, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Roadrash Dunc

Roadrash Dunc New Member

Pettachi by the proverbial country mile.
    Fasso did great to get a few riders to lead out with about 200 to go , every other team failed to get their sprinter in a good position.A few got boxed in due to this but no one stood a chance today with Pettachi on this form.
    Friere got boxed but didnt look like he had the legs anyway.
    Mario sat up miles before the end.
    Bettini gave Boonen a chance but Boonen just didnt have it.
    Hushvold and Hondo made the podium but the difference in power and speed to the main man was vast.
    Great race.
    Only major incident that could have shaped the outcome was a big crash before the Cipressa but it happened in the middle of the peloton and most of the big names avoided it - i think they all got back in touch anyway.
    Bettini made a threatening break with about 5-10km to go but got reeled in by Fasso.

Tags:

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I don't disagree with your analysis.
    I thought Fasso controlled the front very well - but they were allowed to do so
    because the other teams did not challenge Fasso.
    (maybe they were tired ?).

Petacchi made it look very very easy in the end.
    Fasso are very impressive.

In the final 2kms, Brochard went for a long one, which was good to see.
    Earlier it was Bettini.
    If the others leave it to the last 500 metres, you've got to put your money on Petacchi.
    He seems unbeatable at the moment.
    To try to stop Fasso and AP, teams need to get their guys in to a breakaway and to stay away.
    If it's a sprint, chances are AP will win it.

Great win though for AP.
    Expect he was on the Grappa that night !

3. Roadrash Dunc

Roadrash Dunc New Member

Yeah i think they were tired to be honest.That and the fact some of the sprint trains must have been caught up in the crash - even if they got back to the front group they may have burnt alot of energy.

The sheer speed of the race over the last 5km made it an 'every man for himself' ending - thats why Fasso having 2 or 3 guys able to stay together and get AP in a decent position did so well.

Looking back at replays , seems Freire and Zabel were busy messing about with each other and Bettini and Boonen messed up between themselves.This gave the likes of Hondo and Hushovd the chance to get on the podium.
    I dont think Bettinis desperate late breakaway did Boonen any favours.This guy has the speed to rival AP imo , but he needs more support.
    The difference is the Fasso train and their experience.Its quite awesome.

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

You're right - Bettini didn't do Boonen any favours in the final half km.
    I noticed that too - Freire and Zabel were shadowing each other.

You reckon Boonen is as quick as AP.
    I think you might well be right but as you point out the Fasso train seems to be better than the Davitomon train.
    That Fasso train simplies flies.
    I noticed it at Tirreno too - they get on the front and just seem to blast.
    In stage 7 of T-A, Freire was alone in trying to match the entire Fasso train.
    Can't be done.

5. Roadrash Dunc

Roadrash Dunc New Member

Hey limerick , yeah you're right , the Fasso train on the last stage of Tirreno was simply breathtaking.
    Did you notice Liquigas got on the front with about 4-5km to go - too early.
    Fasso let them burn out , then slowly got their boys to the front so when the 2km to go marker was passed , they were all honking it bigtime and stringing out the whole peloton.Makes it easy(er) for their kingpin if everyone else is fighting for a wheel.That sprint was perfection.
    M-SR wasnt , but then they rarely are after 300km and 2 painful humps in the last 20.
    I think i may have been harsh on Bettini though.If you put yourself in his shoes , he was probably thinking "theres no way we can compete with AP and the fasso train , so we need to mix it up".
    His breakaway stood as good a chance as Boonen without a leadout , and Bettini isnt much of a leadout on his own.
    Perhaps Quick-step lost key men in the crash.
    Boonen will get there though - he and AP are the fastest guys around , Pettachi just has the experience and train , and Boonen doesnt yet have Friere's knack of appearing in the right place at the right time without any help.
    Shame AP isnt doing the TdF , i read he was only doing the Giro and Vuelta this year :(

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Yeah, I saw Liquigas trying to compete with Fasso at Adriatico and they were no match.
    Cippo was forced to try to stay with AP' wheel but he had no other team mates around him.
    As you say it was the perfect lead out.

Quickstep will be hard pressed to match the Fasso train, I think.
    There's no doubting that Boonen is a fine sprinter and will be up there.