M2 Action this Saturday

scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
This Saturday, 27th Jan. local cyclists are invited to attend a ride along the affected section of the M2 - ear-marked to be closed to cyclists from next month.

Whether you are a social rider, commuter or elite athlete, please come and ride to show the NSW govt that we want our lanes preserved.

We will NOT be blocking traffic or attempting disruption of any form. The intention is to simply ride a few laps of the affected section (Delhi Rd to Beecroft - cross over the bridge - then back again) to demonstrate our presence.

There is no leader and you are welcome to ride at your own pace (do a training ride if you like), the point is to be seen and make your presence felt.

Meet at 9 am Sat at the northern end of Vimiera Road (M2 bike access hole), Marsfield.

Please come and help save these lanes - or we may lose others.

Scotty

In article <[email protected]>,
scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:

> This Saturday, 27th Jan. local cyclists are invited to attend a ride
> along the affected section of the M2 - ear-marked to be closed to
> cyclists from next month.

Excellent!

Any idea how long the loop and ride would take? Just trying to slot it
in with some family responsibilities.

scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:

> This Saturday, 27th Jan. local cyclists are invited to attend a ride
> along the affected section of the M2 - ear-marked to be closed to
> cyclists from next month.

If you could arrange for a couple of broken down cars in peak hour say
one ever other day for the rest of the month I reckon you'll get more
people ****** off at Transurban.

That's the real seller of this - the lack of breakdown lane. Bikes get
to use the breakdown lane, losing it is bad. But think of the
disruption once traffic has to move around a broken down car in the "3rd
lane".

Once people realise that then there will be more support.

Zebee

--
As long as you like

The plan is we set off from the start (some media have indicated they may show up - hopefully no major bush fires / assassinations etc. to distract them) and do the big lap (about 10 ks) of the affected area. You can leave after 1 lap, you can do 50. Do it as you like - but just show that the lanes are loved.

Scotty

In article <[email protected]>,
scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi Wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > This Saturday, 27th Jan. local cyclists are invited to attend a ride
> > > along the affected section of the M2 - ear-marked to be closed to
> > > cyclists from next month.

> > Excellent!
> >
> > Any idea how long the loop and ride would take? Just trying to slot it
> > in with some family responsibilities.
> > --As long as you like

> The plan is we set off from the start (some media have indicated they
> may show up - hopefully no major bush fires / assassinations etc. to
> distract them) and do the big lap (about 10 ks) of the affected area.
> You can leave after 1 lap, you can do 50. Do it as you like - but just
> show that the lanes are loved.

Great! I should have enough time to do 2-3 laps. :)
--

"scotty72" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Artoi Wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > This Saturday, 27th Jan. local cyclists are invited to attend a ride
>> > along the affected section of the M2 - ear-marked to be closed to
>> > cyclists from next month.

>> Excellent!
>>
>> Any idea how long the loop and ride would take? Just trying to slot it
>> in with some family responsibilities.
>> --As long as you like

> The plan is we set off from the start (some media have indicated they
> may show up - hopefully no major bush fires / assassinations etc. to
> distract them) and do the big lap (about 10 ks) of the affected area.
> You can leave after 1 lap, you can do 50. Do it as you like - but just
> show that the lanes are loved.
>
> Scotty
>

> --
> scotty72

I will be heading down to Dunc Gray on Saturday, I would love to do a lap
but I will only have my track bike with me and I don't think it would be
safe riding it with no brakes in a group of riders that have brakes and
don't know how to bunch ride correctly :p

And I don't think my Vittoria pista CL singles would last more than a few
wheel revolutions on a road ;)

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>This Saturday, 27th Jan. local cyclists are invited to attend a ride
>>along the affected section of the M2 - ear-marked to be closed to
>>cyclists from next month.
>>

> If you could arrange for a couple of broken down cars in peak hour say
> one ever other day for the rest of the month I reckon you'll get more
> people ****** off at Transurban.
>
> That's the real seller of this - the lack of breakdown lane. Bikes get
> to use the breakdown lane, losing it is bad. But think of the
> disruption once traffic has to move around a broken down car in the "3rd
> lane".
>
> Once people realise that then there will be more support.
>
> Zebee

Exactly my thought, in fact lets hope the lack of a breakdown lane
causes an accident and Transurban and the RTA get sued over it.

Strangely I mentioned both the breakdown lane issue and the cycle lane
issue in my emails of complaint and only the cycle issue was mentioned
in the replies.

--
Remove norubbish to reply

Artoi wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>This Saturday, 27th Jan. local cyclists are invited to attend a ride
>>along the affected section of the M2 - ear-marked to be closed to
>>cyclists from next month.

> Excellent!
>
> Any idea how long the loop and ride would take? Just trying to slot it
> in with some family responsibilities.
> --

What time?

--
Remove norubbish to reply

Jack Russell said:
Artoi wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>This Saturday, 27th Jan. local cyclists are invited to attend a ride
>>along the affected section of the M2 - ear-marked to be closed to
>>cyclists from next month.

> Excellent!
>
> Any idea how long the loop and ride would take? Just trying to slot it
> in with some family responsibilities.
> --

What time?

--
Remove norubbish to reply
9am, Vimiera Rd sound barrier hole

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 06:47:08 +1100, Jack Russell wrote:

> Exactly my thought, in fact lets hope the lack of a breakdown lane
> causes an accident and Transurban and the RTA get sued over it.

If they ever go through with it.

Have such a road without a shoulder is a violation of safety principles.
And one small section of extra lane in one direction isn't going to do much
to help the M2 (which should have been built as 6 lanes (as should the Lane
Cove Tunnel) if the M7 was going to be build. Yet another ad hoc transport
disaster brought to you by the NSW ALP.

The whole things smelts of a stunt to distract from the Lane Cove Tunnel
problems. "We are shafting cyclists on the M2 make up for the fact that
were using a pointless cycle lane on Epping road as justification for
closing down lanes and forcing people into an inadequate tunnel".

You will notice that that ALP hasn't actually done anything about opening
the lanes they promised or removing cycles lanes in East Sydney. That was
yet another re-election stunt promising action but not actually doing
anything because if they did they would be liable for sending the tunnel
consortium bankrupt costing taxpayers massive amounts.

The reality is cyclists make up 0.6% of commutes or something in Sydney and
just don't matter, outside of Marraville when the ALP wants Green
preferences.

dewatf.

Here's a update on the campaign Bike North have organised. Even if you're not in Sydney or even in NSW, please show your support. :)

****

This is from BikeNorth. Please, please do take a few minutes to write to the following people.

Minister for Roads, Eric Roozendaal [email protected];

Transurban [email protected]

and, since there is an election coming up, your local member (maybe Carmel Tebbutt [email protected]

or Linda Burney [email protected]) or use
http://www.elections.nsw.gov.au/sta...lectoral_districts/electoral_district_search to find out.

This is a question of whether or not we should allow the government to break its promises on cycling infrastructure and is of crucial importance. Get your friends to write, too.

_____

You would be aware that Transurban proposes to close the westbound bike lane on the M2 motorway from Delhi Road to Beecroft Rd. Further information see

www.advocacy.bikenorth.org.au/m2/

This is an issue that directly affects many people who cycle in Sydney but also indirectly impacts on all of us who ride bikes in terms of removal of existing, excellent, well used cycling facilities at extremely short notice with inadequate alternative route suggestions.

Bike North is determined that this bike lane will not be removed UNLESS AND UNTIL a route to regional route standard as per NSW RTA Bicycle Guidelines is provided. Such an alternative route is obviously impossible within the pre election / Lane Cove Tunnel opening timeframe, which we believe is the main driver of this proposal.

Bike North is in discussions with Transurban and the RTA, but we also need your assistance. Many people have already emailed Transurban, Minister for Roads and others listed on our website. BUT we need even more messages to be sent. We are asking you to help us get the word out about this major pre election issue. We ask you to:

* include mention of this issue prominently on your website with a link to our site www.advocacy.bikenorth.org.au/m2/

* encourage your members to write to Transurban, Minister for Roads and others listed on our web site

* encourage your members to spread the word to other people who could support us - flyers, cards and posters are downloadable from our website.

* support our activities and those initiated by our supporters

* we are open to your further suggestions and offers - please contact us on [email protected]

regards

Bike North

Keith Griffin
Communications Officer,