M2 Cyclelane gone - NEXT M4, 5 & 7

scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
Sydney siders prepare for a battle

TransUrban (owners of the M2), you know the ones who screwed us over royally and banned us from the M2, look set to take control of the M4, M7 and M5.

There is a long standing desire to widen the M5.

So all you people who did nothing when we were losing the M2 and thought "We'll just ride somewhere else" - well - you're about to be banned from everywhere else.

Unless you start making some serious noise and action - your chickens are about to come home to roost.

http://tinyurl.com/35xc5j

Scotty

scotty72 wrote:

> Unless you start making some serious noise and action - your chickens
> are about to come home to roost.
> '

I don't have any chickens.

Parbs

scotty72 said:
Sydney siders prepare for a battle
TransUrban (owners of the M2), you know the ones who screwed us over royally and banned us from the M2, look set to take control of the M4, M7 and M5.

For the NON sydney people, are these roads major roads as in almost Freeway like roads ?

I am not sure what road it was, but I was in Parramatta briefly and I rode out to a section of the Blue Mountains and on the way back I had the option of turning off or noticed I was actually allowed to use the shoulder of the (100+ kph) Freeway. And all I can say it was the most stupid thing I ever did. The garbage that gets tossed onto that shoulder and the speed of the traffic made it very uncomfortable, very similar to the time I decided on one of my first rides in Brisbane to ride out to Ipswich via the Freeway, I only did that once.

Anyway my point was, is that the roads you are talking about and if so, why would you want to ride on them ?

Not trying to start trouble, just wanted to find out about it.

MikeyOz said:
For the NON sydney people, are these roads major roads as in almost Freeway like roads ?

I am not sure what road it was, but I was in Parramatta briefly and I rode out to a section of the Blue Mountains and on the way back I had the option of turning off or noticed I was actually allowed to use the shoulder of the (100+ kph) Freeway. And all I can say it was the most stupid thing I ever did. The garbage that gets tossed onto that shoulder and the speed of the traffic made it very uncomfortable, very similar to the time I decided on one of my first rides in Brisbane to ride out to Ipswich via the Freeway, I only did that once.

Anyway my point was, is that the roads you are talking about and if so, why would you want to ride on them ?

Not trying to start trouble, just wanted to find out about it.
That would be the M4 you rode. (the widest / busiest of them all)

I ride about 3/4 of the length of that each Wed (not today - ANZAC DAY - though). It isn't too bad. Sure there is always plenty of debris etc. but -this is Sydney; moron drivers and close, fast-movingtraffic are part and parcel of the place.

SCotty

MikeyOz wrote:

> For the NON sydney people, are these roads major roads as in almost
> Freeway like roads ?

These are the major core roads now.

The M7 is the new road from the south to the mid-north of sydney outer
metro where it joins the M2, which takes you back towards Pennant Hills
Rd (major route but really a suburban road) for the northward trip.

The M7 also has a shared pedestrian/bicycle path for slow pokes along
the whole length (40kms).

The M5 starts with the M7 and goes east to the airport (Mascot), where
yo can join the Prices highway or General Holmes Drive NE then N to
eastern suburbs routes, then Harbour tunnel, etc. AFAIK, you can ride it
from Prestons/Casula to Bexley, then it goes underground.

The main benefit(s) of riding any of these is the easier grades, more
direct travel and safer speeds (compared to dodging pedestrians, soil
drifts and sharp corners with wrong camber).

In terms of accidents per million cyclist kilometres, freeway shoulders are
the safest place to cycle. And not by a small margin either. Accident
studies have shown the cyclist accident rate to be about five times as on
single lane roads without a shoulder and about fifteen times as high on
cyclepaths...

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I am not sure what road it was, but I was in Parramatta briefly and I
> rode out to a section of the Blue Mountains and on the way back I had
> the option of turning off or noticed I was actually allowed to use the
> shoulder of the (100+ kph) Freeway. And all I can say it was the most
> stupid thing I ever did. The garbage that gets tossed onto that
> shoulder and the speed of the traffic made it very uncomfortable, very
> similar to the time I decided on one of my first rides in Brisbane to
> ride out to Ipswich via the Freeway, I only did that once.

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:24:57 +1000
Nick Payne <[email protected]> wrote:
> In terms of accidents per million cyclist kilometres, freeway shoulders are
> the safest place to cycle. And not by a small margin either. Accident
> studies have shown the cyclist accident rate to be about five times as on
> single lane roads without a shoulder and about fifteen times as high on
> cyclepaths...

That's the accident rate, what's the serious injury rate?

Zebee

Nick Payne <[email protected]> wrote:
> In terms of accidents per million cyclist kilometres, freeway shoulders are
> the safest place to cycle. And not by a small margin either. Accident
> studies have shown the cyclist accident rate to be about five times as on
> single lane roads without a shoulder and about fifteen times as high on
> cyclepaths...

I suppose that's because there are far fewer intersections, no driveways
and better sight lines. It may also be that more experienced cyclists
tend to use freeways. I'd be interested in the source of your data if
you have it.

Peter

Is this part of the fabled Sydney Orbital Network, or a completely seperate private-public partnership?

Parbs wrote:
> scotty72 wrote:
>>
>> Unless you start making some serious noise and action - your chickens
>> are about to come home to roost.

> I don't have any chickens.

We just got another 6, making 11 altogether. They head back to their
henhouse home to roost every night. Is that a problem?

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> We just got another 6, making 11 altogether. They head back to their
> henhouse home to roost every night. Is that a problem?

I think that's OK as long as they don't use the M4. Chickens are going
to banned from the M4 apparently and soon there will be no where that
the chickens can cross the road.

Parbs

On 2007-04-26, Parbs (aka Bruce)
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>
>> We just got another 6, making 11 altogether. They head back to their
>> henhouse home to roost every night. Is that a problem?
>>

> I think that's OK as long as they don't use the M4. Chickens are going
> to banned from the M4 apparently and soon there will be no where that
> the chickens can cross the road.

But why would a chicken cross the road?

--
TimC
FORTRAN is a good example of a language which is easier to parse

"scotty72" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sydney siders prepare for a battle
>
> TransUrban (owners of the M2), you know the ones who screwed us over
> royally and banned us from the M2, look set to take control of the M4,
> M7 and M5.
>
> There is a long standing desire to widen the M5.
>
> So all you people who did nothing when we were losing the M2 and
> thought "We'll just ride somewhere else" - well - you're about to be
> banned from everywhere else.
>
> Unless you start making some serious noise and action - your chickens
> are about to come home to roost.
> '
> ' (http://tinyurl.com/35xc5j) *http://tinyurl.com/35xc5j

At least the RTA wants us on the road. The new Seacliff bridge at Stanwell
Park did have a shared cycle/footway on one side but recently they say it
is to be declared pedestrians only and cyclists are supposed to use 1.2 m
shoulders. Have ridden it a couple of times and the surface at least is
great, and traffic want very heavy- only went south, dont know what it is
like heading north, with a fasat downhill to start with - would you stay in
a 1.2 m shoulder for that?

fb

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:45:41 +1000, TimC wrote:

> But why would a chicken cross the road?

To stage a protest against being banned from doing so

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Two of my imaginary friends reproduced once ... with negative results."

Erm,

Dis chickin den, would that be African or European?

CN

Campag_nut wrote:
> Erm,
>
> Dis chickin den, would that be African or European?

De rooster is a Barneveld, so dey is half Dutch.

Theo