M5 Tandem

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Brian Mink, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Brian Mink

    Brian Mink Guest

    Does anyone on this list have any experience, opinions, recommendations regarding the M5 Tandem.

    My stoker and I have been been riding a Bilenky Viewpoint, Double Vision and Rans Screamer for many
    years. We recently had an opportunity to ride a 26X26 M5 for a short ride and were intrigued enought
    to consider purchasing one. We plan to take an extended ride this coming weekend, but would like to
    obtain other recumbent riders views and opinions to help provide us with some background. Thanks for
    anything you can offer.

  2. Brian,

    > My stoker and I have been been riding a Bilenky Viewpoint, Double Vision and Rans Screamer for
    > many years. We recently had an opportunity to ride a 26X26 M5

    Dual 26 wheels are definitely faster. We have been riding our custom
    26/26 Screamer since 1996, and love it.

    http://www.itt.edu/warren/images/26-26Scr.jpg

    M5 makes nice, if a bit heavy, bikes. This may slow you down, compared to the Screamer, on climbs.
    The higher stoker bottom bracket should make it faster on the flats. That 26" front wheel will be an
    advantage going up, down and level!

    Warren

  3. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    I don't have any experience with them and I think they are very rare on this side of the pond.
    However I am very curious how they handle. They seem to be very tall specially for the Captain and I
    wondered how difficult starting and stopping was from such a position. Craig

    Brian Mink <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone on this list have any experience, opinions, recommendations regarding the M5 Tandem.
    >
    > My stoker and I have been been riding a Bilenky Viewpoint, Double Vision and Rans Screamer for
    > many years. We recently had an opportunity to ride a 26X26 M5 for a short ride and were intrigued
    > enought to consider purchasing one. We plan to take an extended ride this coming weekend, but
    > would like to obtain other recumbent riders views and opinions to help provide us with some
    > background. Thanks for anything you can offer.

  4. Dian and I have been riding ours for the last 6 months. We have owned 6 tandems and currently
    still have 4.

    Schwinn clunker, Gitane, Rodriquez, WYMS, BikeE2 and the M5. You can see photos of the WYMS and
    the M5 on my web sites below. THe WYMS and the BikeE2 are easier to ride around town and the M5 is
    much much faster on the highway. Saying that, WE ride the M5 exclusively now. WE even have a
    trailer for it.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

    See some Bikes At:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

    PC

    http://www.roadkillbill.com/r135.html

    Class and Helicopter

    http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/

    Reply to [email protected]

  5. Dian and I have been riding ours for the last 6 months. We have owned 6 tandems and currently
    still have 4.

    Schwinn clunker, Gitane, Rodriquez, WYMS, BikeE2 and the M5. You can see photos of the WYMS and
    the M5 on my web sites below. THe WYMS and the BikeE2 are easier to ride around town and the M5 is
    much much faster on the highway. Saying that, WE ride the M5 exclusively now. WE even have a
    trailer for it.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.

    See some Bikes At:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

    PC

    http://www.roadkillbill.com/r135.html

    Class and Helicopter

    http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/

    Reply to [email protected]

  6. I was wondering what length X seam is required to ride a M5 tandem in the 20" and 26" wheel configs.
    Bruce Shannahoff

    Bill Patterson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dian and I have been riding ours for the last 6 months. We have owned 6 tandems and currently
    > still have 4.
    >
    > Schwinn clunker, Gitane, Rodriquez, WYMS, BikeE2 and the M5. You can see photos of the WYMS and
    > the M5 on my web sites below. THe WYMS and the BikeE2 are easier to ride around town and the M5 is
    > much much faster on the highway. Saying that, WE ride the M5 exclusively now. WE even have a
    > trailer for it.
    > --
    > Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.
    >
    > See some Bikes At:
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    >
    > PC
    >
    > http://www.roadkillbill.com/r135.html
    >
    > Class and Helicopter
    >
    > http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/
    >
    > Reply to [email protected]

  7. direwolf

    direwolf Guest

    Pop Pop's got his groove on with that M5 tandem [M10?]. Mmmmighty sweet...

    Bill Patterson wrote:

    > Dian and I have been riding ours for the last 6 months. We have owned 6 tandems and currently
    > still have 4.
    >
    > Schwinn clunker, Gitane, Rodriquez, WYMS, BikeE2 and the M5. You can see photos of the WYMS and
    > the M5 on my web sites below. THe WYMS and the BikeE2 are easier to ride around town and the M5 is
    > much much faster on the highway. Saying that, WE ride the M5 exclusively now. WE even have a
    > trailer for it.
    > --
    > Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.
    >
    > See some Bikes At:
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    >
    > PC
    >
    > http://www.roadkillbill.com/r135.html
    >
    > Class and Helicopter
    >
    > http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/
    >
    > Reply to [email protected]

  8. DIan and I have been riding our M5 for the last 6 months or so. We love
    it. I just didn't understand how much fun it would be to go so fast.

    I am 6' 2" and can barely touch the ground with a 20 inch front wheel. I suggest that larger front
    wheel would make the bike very difficult to ride around town.

    You can see our M5 on my earthlink web site below.

    We have owned 6 tandems and currently still have 4. You can see photos and movies of our 2 wheel
    drive tandem on my CALPOLY web site below.

    If you have specific questions, you should email me directly. No sense boring the rest of the list.