M5 Vs Mesh Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Devon

Can anyone speak from experience STRICTLY on the comfort of the M5 vs mesh seats at the end of a
60-100 mile ride?

[email protected] (DeVon) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can anyone speak from experience STRICTLY on the comfort of the M5 vs mesh seats at the end of a
> 60-100 mile ride?

Interesting that you should ask. I am looking forward to a 65 mile ride on my Shock Proof tomorrow.
I've had the SP since Janary, and have about 500 miles on it. I've ridden a VRex for the last two
years. Until your neck muscles become conditioned, expect some discomfort on the M5 seat. Your head
and upper shoulders are largely unsupported. I do experience pain between the shoulder blades after
about 30-40 miles. I hope that pain will go away with more time on the M5, we will see. The M5 seat
is very narrow, and I have it in the fully reclined postion. The Shock Proof is unquestionably
faster than the VRex. However, at this point, I think the VRex might be a better bike for a century
ride. If I wanted to be in pain, I'd be riding a wedgiecycle. Once again, with more miles the
backpain might go away.

I can...and will. A bit of background first. I ride laid back. On my previous steeds I have
shortened the sprintstays to get a more reclined position. Therefore the M5 seat which is designed
for a more reclined position is ideal for me. Longest ride on a M5 was last month...110 miles. I'm
not a "stopper" when I do stop, other than for a pitstop, its usually halfway thru the ride. So I
have long periods of seat time. The M5 suits me better than the mesh/cushion seats I have ridden.
However ot may not be "for you". One Knows not until one trys. I have no intention of returning to
my former seats.

If anyone in the MD/DC area is interested in a really nice STRADA (med) Pumpkin with aluminum fork,
I have a nice one for sale. (new) It has a Ultegra BB, 105 170mm 52/42/30, 105 Front Derail, KMC
Z9000 chain with QL, Ultegra 28h/14ga/571 Aeroheat rims, Kenda 650X23 tires, 11/32 LX Cassette,
Deore LX rear derail, Deore Rear brakes, Bacchetta front, SS cables, Attack Shifters, Shimano Levers
and the M5 FG seat. The price is right (call if interested), but it must be picked up at the shop or
I can meet halfway.

Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
Inc 1-800-586-6645

"DeVon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone speak from experience STRICTLY on the comfort of the M5 vs mesh seats at the end of a
> 60-100 mile ride?

I have one on my lowracer. I find it very comfy, but I have slightly modified it. The original 3/8"
thick polyester pad was useless. I had a lycra cover made for it and inside the cover is a full
length piece of the 1-1/2" thick air filter foam. Just under my butt I also have a 1/2" thick piece
of EVA closed cell foam. (Even though you are laid back, most of your weight is still on your butt).
I have ridden it for days at a time over 100 miles a day and it is great. I think the key fitting
issue on these seats is to match the length of the seat with your torso. M5 makes two sizes and
othere mfgrs. make up to four sizes. If the seat fits well, the up-curved back section supports your
neck and you wont need a head rest. I'm 6'1" but I have a long torso and the standard M5 seat fits
me perfectly. I tried the large size, but had no neck support with it. I think you have to be really
tall to use the large size. If you're short, you may need a head rest. Dan Kluckhuhn

"DeVon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> 60-100 mile ride?

"If you're short, you may need a head rest."

.... I'm looking into the Giro and thinking about an M5 seat for it. I have a feeling I'm going to
need the headrest since I get neck stiffness easily. How is a headrest attached?

Is there a seat back bag option for the M5?

Chere

Chere, Sounds like you are a small GIRO kinda person. I have found that for people like you the M5
seat is sometimes better than the stock seat. It decreases the seat height considerably, thus many
go from somewhat tip-toed to flat footed. Yes, there are a number of seatbags for the M5. As the
popularity of euro hardshells increases the more products available specifically for them.

Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "If you're short, you may need a head rest."
>
> .... I'm looking into the Giro and thinking about an M5 seat for it. I
have
> a feeling I'm going to need the headrest since I get neck stiffness
easily.
> How is a headrest attached?
>
> Is there a seat back bag option for the M5?
>
> Chere

Dan Kluckhuhn wrote:
> ... I think the key fitting issue on these seats is to match the length of the seat with your
> torso. M5 makes two sizes and othere mfgrs. make up to four sizes. If the seat fits well, the
> up-curved back section supports your neck and you wont need a head rest. I'm 6'1" but I have a
> long torso and the standard M5 seat fits me perfectly. I tried the large size, but had no neck
> support with it. I think you have to be really tall to use the large size. If you're short, you
> may need a head rest.

Dan,

At 6'1" (185-186 cm) you are short by Dutch lowracer rider standards. Several of the prominent Dutch
lowracer designers and/or riders are in the 6'6" (198 cm) height range, so only really tall people
should be expected to fit the large seat sizes.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

M5 themselves make a few different bags for the M5 seat - both behind the seat and along the sides
(although the latter are rather big).

Mads Hilberg

In article <[email protected]>, "chere" <[email protected]> wrote:

> .... I'm looking into the Giro and thinking about an M5 seat for it. I have a feeling I'm going to
> need the headrest since I get neck stiffness easily. How is a headrest attached?

I've got the M5 seat on my Strada. At first I wished for some head support, but now that I've got
some miles I'm getting used to it. I think that to some extent it's like every other aspect of
riding - you just have to get some miles in.

Mike Vogl of Fastback fame is back with a Fastback bag for the carbon seat as well.
http://www.fastbacksystem.com/

-Carl

> 60-100 mile ride?

Just got my Strada with an M5 seat (1.5 to 2 inch foam pad) about 2 weeks ago, and have not done a
60 to 100 mile ride yet. Did ride 50 yesterday, several 12 to 25 miles rides over the last two
weeks, a couple of 36 to 39 miles rides, one the week before I bought the bike. 236 miles on it so
far. I previously rode a Lightning Stealth for about a year and a half. That was a very comfortable
seat. I put 3690 miles on it last year including 160 in a single day on the RAIN (Ride Across
INdiana) and can attest that the Lightning seat was very comfortable. That said, I always felt like
I was leaning my shoulders a bit forward on the Stealth. On the Strada with the M5, which I have
tilted fairly far back, I have yet to feel that way. The solid support of the M5 has me leaning my
shoulders back solidly into the seat without thinking about it. Makes for lots better climbing - at
least it feels that way to me. Overall, the Lightning seat is a softer ride and absorbs a lot of the
bumps on chip and seal and other bumps in the road. I think the performance is way better with the
M5 however, and won't hesitate to use in for the RAIN this year. I am about ready to consider
Pantour hubs on both wheels however. Can't compare it to the RANS seat on the standard Strada or on
the RANS bikes as I've only ridden them for a few test miles. I like the Lightning seat a lot better
than the RANS seat though. I'm happy with the M5 seat, and have not experienced any neck issues.

I'm also using the FastBack hydration system - works great and nice fit to the seat! Just wish the
hose was about 3 inches longer. I was going to hose-clamp a water bottle cage on since there are no
braze-ons on the Strada, but I know I'll need more than one water bottle come summer - especially if
I do the RAIN again.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (George) wrote:

> I'm also using the FastBack hydration system - works great and nice fit to the seat! Just wish the
> hose was about 3 inches longer. I was going to hose-clamp a water bottle cage on since there are
> no braze-ons on the Strada, but I know I'll need more than one water bottle come summer -
> especially if I do the RAIN again.

Extension hoses are available for Camelback and Platypus bladders. I've added an extension along
with an extra clip. I clip the middle of the hose to the top of the FastBack tool bag, then clip the
end to my shirt. Works pretty well, especially since I can stand up straight without unclipping the
hose (I'm 6'4").

There's also the Twofish bottle cage - velcro & a rubber block. I've got one of these, it works very
well. http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983905947

I just noticed this handlebar mount for a bottle cage as well:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983906037

-Carl

The headrest is bolted to the seat back. Just drill a couple holes in the fiberglass and bolt
it on. Dan

"chere" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "If you're short, you may need a head rest."
>
> .... I'm looking into the Giro and thinking about an M5 seat for it. I
have
> a feeling I'm going to need the headrest since I get neck stiffness
easily.
> How is a headrest attached?
>
>
> Chere

I just finished a 111 mile ride on my M5 AERO. I used to have a mild backache with the RANS and the
Bacchetta seat. Nothing debilating just annoying. No backache with the M5. Keep in mind two things.
The first 52 miles were non-stop except for intersections. Lunch was a half-hour and then it was
non-stop for 59 miles again except for intersections which are actually few. The second thing is
that the roads here are great mostly smooth and what tar and chip we ride is in good shape..so if
your roads are crappy it can make a comfort difference. The M5, like any seat is not for everyone or
every bent for that matter. However, it works for me.

So far this year I have all of 400 miles 221 of it on two rides. I usually have 1K or more by now.
It does appear that spring is here.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (DeVon) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Can anyone speak from experience STRICTLY on the comfort of the M5 vs mesh seats at the end of a
> > 60-100 mile ride?
>
>
> Just got my Strada with an M5 seat (1.5 to 2 inch foam pad) about 2 weeks ago, and have not done a
> 60 to 100 mile ride yet. Did ride 50 yesterday, several 12 to 25 miles rides over the last two
> weeks, a couple of 36 to 39 miles rides, one the week before I bought the bike. 236 miles on it so
> far. I previously rode a Lightning Stealth for about a year and a half. That was a very
> comfortable seat. I put 3690 miles on it last year including 160 in a single day on the RAIN (Ride
> Across INdiana) and can attest that the Lightning seat was very comfortable. That said, I always
> felt like I was leaning my shoulders a bit forward on the Stealth. On the Strada with the M5,
> which I have tilted fairly far back, I have yet to feel that way. The solid support of the M5 has
> me leaning my shoulders back solidly into the seat without thinking about it. Makes for lots
> better climbing - at least it feels that way to me. Overall, the Lightning seat is a softer ride
> and absorbs a lot of the bumps on chip and seal and other bumps in the road. I think the
> performance is way better with the M5 however, and won't hesitate to use in for the RAIN this
> year. I am about ready to consider Pantour hubs on both wheels however. Can't compare it to the
> RANS seat on the standard Strada or on the RANS bikes as I've only ridden them for a few test
> miles. I like the Lightning seat a lot better than the RANS seat though. I'm happy with the M5
> seat, and have not experienced any neck issues.
>
> I'm also using the FastBack hydration system - works great and nice fit to the seat! Just wish the
> hose was about 3 inches longer. I was going to hose-clamp a water bottle cage on since there are
> no braze-ons on the Strada, but I know I'll need more than one water bottle come summer -
> especially if I do the RAIN again.

Carl wrote:
> ... Extension hoses are available for Camelback and Platypus bladders....

I found suitable Camelbak extension hose at my local hardware store for $0.17/foot. It is rated for
potable water use and is the same diameter as the Camelbak hose.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

> 60-100 mile ride?

I have a lowracer with an Optima seat which is very similiar to the M5 seat. I find the seat to be
very comfortable over long distances. Last year I did several centuries on the seat without any
discomfort. It is important to get the right size seat. Optima has four seat sizes (S, M, L, XL) I
orginally ordered a L but found that it did not support my shoulders which stained my neck. Once I
got the M installed it fit perfect and I don't find any need for a neck rest. (I'm 6'2"). You do
have to like laid back as any angle above 30 degrees will put too much weight on a very small part
of the seat. At the 20 degree seat angle I ride my considerable (220 lb) weight is very evenly
distributed.

Craig Optima Baron

I had an interesting coversation with Rolf G. about the M5 seat and bar position. He explained that
with an arm position as on his Volaes (would be similar to relaxed superman on bacchettas and some
low racers, too) your back fits the curve of the seat better.

With more of a hamster position, your shoulders are flexed in such a way that your back would fit
the seat less well. It made sense, but I have no significant experience with the superman position
and a hardshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.