Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

M961 Front mech on ATB chainset

Started by John Appleby · · Last activity · 2 posts · 793 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 July 2003
Last activity
2 July 2003
Original author
John Appleby
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
793
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    My older XT (1994 maybe) M736 mech has given up the ghost and I've replaced it with a M961. This is
    still running with my 1992 LX FC-M550 crankset... which isn't CD and I think is 24-36-46.

    The chainline seems a bit wrong though... I assume the M961 is really only designed to work with CD
    cranksets? I get the chain touching against the left side in the 24/36 rings and top 2-3 cogs (11-28
    HG-70 cassette where the top cog is 28). If I move the front mech a bit to the left, it can't change
    into the 46 ring though.

    I'm just trying to get by really until I can buy a M960 crankset, but I'm not sure it will hold out
    much longer. Am I pretty much just stuffed here or are there any tricks I can play with the M961 to
    make it work better?

    John

  2. You are using a 9sp der on an 8sp drivetrain? This will always rub, the cage is narrower and
    requires that you run a 9speed chain( which is also narrower), I also believe that the chainring
    spacing is different between your current crank and XTR(which is compact now). What you want is not
    possible if you are running 8speed. Deal with the rub, if you have SRAM you can fiddle with it, if
    not you are stuck. Or you can go buy a cheap 8 speed front der until you get the appropriate parts
    to make the M960 work.

    "John Appleby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    My older XT (1994 maybe) M736 mech has given up the ghost and I've


    replaced

    Quoted message said:

    it with a M961. This is still running with my 1992 LX FC-M550 crankset... which isn't CD and I
    think is 24-36-46.

    The chainline seems a bit wrong though... I assume the M961 is really only designed to work with
    CD cranksets? I get the chain touching against the left side in the 24/36 rings and top 2-3 cogs
    (11-28 HG-70 cassette where the top cog is 28). If I move the front mech a bit to the left, it
    can't change into the 46 ring though.

    I'm just trying to get by really until I can buy a M960 crankset, but I'm not sure it will hold
    out much longer. Am I pretty much just stuffed here


    or

    Quoted message said:

    are there any tricks I can play with the M961 to make it work better?

    John

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.