M961 Front mech on ATB chainset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Appleby, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. John Appleby

    John Appleby Guest

    Hi,

    My older XT (1994 maybe) M736 mech has given up the ghost and I've replaced it with a M961. This is
    still running with my 1992 LX FC-M550 crankset... which isn't CD and I think is 24-36-46.

    The chainline seems a bit wrong though... I assume the M961 is really only designed to work with CD
    cranksets? I get the chain touching against the left side in the 24/36 rings and top 2-3 cogs (11-28
    HG-70 cassette where the top cog is 28). If I move the front mech a bit to the left, it can't change
    into the 46 ring though.

    I'm just trying to get by really until I can buy a M960 crankset, but I'm not sure it will hold out
    much longer. Am I pretty much just stuffed here or are there any tricks I can play with the M961 to
    make it work better?

    John

    Tags:

  2. Joe Yannie

    Joe Yannie Guest

    You are using a 9sp der on an 8sp drivetrain? This will always rub, the cage is narrower and
    requires that you run a 9speed chain( which is also narrower), I also believe that the chainring
    spacing is different between your current crank and XTR(which is compact now). What you want is not
    possible if you are running 8speed. Deal with the rub, if you have SRAM you can fiddle with it, if
    not you are stuck. Or you can go buy a cheap 8 speed front der until you get the appropriate parts
    to make the M960 work.

    news:[email protected]...