MA-2 replacement rims

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Grant, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Grant

    Grant Guest

    Since I did not have the foresight to stockpile MA-2 rims, I
    am now looking at other rims to build up for my light
    touring/training/recreational riding bike. Loaded for
    touring, total weight including bike, rider and gear would
    be about 215 lbs.

    I am considering these 36H rims:

    Velocity Razor, 450g, 20mm width Sun CR-18, 484g, 22.5mm
    Torelli Master, 435g, 19.2mm Torelli Expert, 510g, 20.5mm

    Which of these would be the best choice? Price is not a
    consideration.

    Thanks for your help.

    Grant

    Tags:

  3. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:12:18 GMT, "Grant" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Since I did not have the foresight to stockpile MA-2 rims,
    >I am now looking at other rims to build up for my light
    >touring/training/recreational riding bike. Loaded for
    >touring, total weight including bike, rider and gear would
    >be about 215 lbs.
    >
    >I am considering these 36H rims:
    >
    >Velocity Razor, 450g, 20mm width Sun CR-18, 484g, 22.5mm
    >Torelli Master, 435g, 19.2mm Torelli Expert, 510g, 20.5mm
    >
    >Which of these would be the best choice? Price is not a
    >consideration.

    Just one data point: changing a tire on the Sun CR-18 is a
    real bear. The bottom of the rim is essentially flat, so
    it's difficult to move the tire around enough to get the
    bead off the rim. I had to go out and get tire "irons" for
    this rim -- all the rest in the stable I can change with my
    bare (or gloved) hands.

    Pat

  4. B

    B Guest

    >I believe Ritchey also makes a similar rim, not sure if it
    >comes in 36h or not.

    I believe it is 32 or 36 hole trekking rim. Rear is OC.
    23 wide. B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  5. On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Grant wrote:

    > I am considering these 36H rims:
    >
    > Velocity Razor, 450g, 20mm width Sun CR-18, 484g, 22.5mm
    > Torelli Master, 435g, 19.2mm Torelli Expert, 510g, 20.5mm

    I use both the Sun and the Torelli Master rims on my bikes.
    If you're looking to replace the MA-2, the Master's the way
    to go: it's double-eyeletted, box-sectioned, and (I think)
    non-anodized. The CR-18 rims are very nice too.

    Trent

  6. trent gregory hill <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I use both the Sun and the Torelli Master rims on my bikes.
    >If you're looking to replace the MA-2, the Master's the way
    >to go: it's double-eyeletted, box-sectioned, and (I think)
    >non-anodized.

    It's my turn to ask if anyone knows of a source of these in
    the UK - or at least within the EU...
    --
    David Damerell <[email protected]>
    Distortion Field!

  7. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    David Damerell wrote:
    > trent gregory hill <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I use both the Sun and the Torelli Master rims on my
    >> bikes. If you're looking to replace the MA-2, the
    >> Master's the way to go: it's double-eyeletted, box-
    >> sectioned, and (I think) non-anodized.
    >
    > It's my turn to ask if anyone knows of a source of these
    > in the UK - or at least within the EU...

    http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/

    Does the Ambrosia Nexus. Ambrosia actually make the rims for
    Torelli, the Nexus is the same section but anodised.

    http://www.ambrosiospa.com/provajpg/pag27.htm

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:

  8. Eric Salathe

    Eric Salathe Guest

    "Grant" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Since I did not have the foresight to stockpile MA-2 rims,
    > I am now looking at other rims to build up for my light
    > touring/training/recreational riding bike. Loaded for
    > touring, total weight including bike, rider and gear would
    > be about 215 lbs.
    >
    > I am considering these 36H rims:
    >
    > Velocity Razor, 450g, 20mm width Sun CR-18, 484g, 22.5mm
    > Torelli Master, 435g, 19.2mm Torelli Expert, 510g, 20.5mm
    >
    > Which of these would be the best choice? Price is not a
    > consideration.

    The Torelli Master is a drop-in replacement to the MA-2. The
    only discernable difference is the surface treatment, which
    if anything is slightly better on the Torelli (not as shiny,
    but braking is better when new). I recently rebuilt an MA-2
    wheel with the Torelli Master, using the old spokes, and am
    quite pleased with this rim.

    Eric Salathe