MA3 rim failure

maxo wrote:

> I got a set of them at Nashbar for $85 built on Sora (gasp!) hubs.
> Probably an over-run from some bike manufacturer. I'll repack and
> retrue and they should be fine for a couple years. I keep meaning to
> get around to buying a new bike, so no need for lifetime hubs. :p

I got mine for $80 from there with Shimano 2200 hubs (double gasp!).
They are *below* Sora level... and this is my "fancy" bike, too. A
good packing with marine grease has made the hubs trouble free for 5K
miles... lots of rain riding, too. I put rubber grommets on the
axles... maybe that helped. I broke two spokes recently, though.

Another recommendation: Stress relieve the spokes, lube the eyelets,
and increase the tension a bit. The rear in particular tends to be
undertensioned, and that is bad with 14g spokes on the non-drive side.

> I was just going to swich out the rim, but getting two new wheels +
> hubs (albeit cheesy ones) for the price of two rims was a better choice
> for this rat-tastic bicicleta.

I wouldn't worry about the hubs... they should turn just fine and may
well last as long as the rest of the wheels... maybe longer.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jay Beattie wrote:
> > "Lister" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > eyelet that

> > the

> > these Mavics

> > should do a

stopped

> > selling

> > that"....

> > from Nashbar. I

> > after a

> > from what

> > wheels--these felt

> > nothing out

> > on line?

> > would be

> > proof urban

wrong

> > with the

> >>Isn't the main issue that the MA3 has single eyelets on the

> > inner
> >
> >>surface only, while the MA2 and Open pro have double eyelets

> > that join
> >
> >>the inner and outer surfaces? Wouldn't that make more

> > difference than
> >
> >>the anodizing?

> > Yes and no. For example, in my experience, the anodized G40s

had
> > a higher failure rate than their non-annodized equivalent,

the
> > MA2/E2/ModE; they were not saved by the socket design. I

pulled
> > spokes through G40s, GP4s, Open Pros, etc. but never through

> > non-anodized MA2.

> jay, you never did get back to us on the spoke tension you use.

> recall your problems with pulling sockets through open pros

from a while
> back, but that's one heck of a rare occurrance and i seriously

doubt
> it's possible at spoke tensions anywhere near manufacturer

spec.

> and silver ma2's /are/ anodized, just so you know.

The old MA2/E2/ModEs were polished and not anodized. Later
versions of the MA2 and the Gentleman were satin anodized. I
still have a satin anodized Gentelman. I am talking about the
old, polished MA2s. In any event, I cannot honestly answer your
question about spoke tension because I only just recently bought
a tensiometer. I would guess about 120kgf right side and 100kgf
left. I built to much higher tensions with 36H/120mm E2
wheels -- and to ungodly tensions with the Super Champion Mod
58s -- with absolutely no problems ever. As for the tension on
the Open Pros/Open 4CD, they were as tight as necessary to
prevent them from going slack. I was racing a lot at 200lbs,
and probably had those at 130kgf right. I could not have run
them lower and had them stay true -- not without Loctite (or
something like it), which I prefer not to use on conventional
wheels. I think a thread lock of some sort is inevitable on the
low spoke count wheels. -- Jay Beattie.

Ron Ruff wrote:

> Another recommendation: Stress relieve the spokes, lube the eyelets,
> and increase the tension a bit. The rear in particular tends to be
> undertensioned, and that is bad with 14g spokes on the non-drive side.

That's what I always do with Nashbar stuff. I'm no expert wheelbuilder,
but after such a tuning I can usually go 3K+ before the rims need a
touch up. I'm of course wary of tightening spokes on a Mavic rim
though. :p LOL

> I wouldn't worry about the hubs... they should turn just fine and may
> well last as long as the rest of the wheels... maybe longer.

Last set of hubs I got on a set of wheels by Nashbar were indeed 2200's
and were missing a bearing in the front and poorly adjusted.Ten whole
minutes of my life wasted (triple gasp!). Only downsides I see are poor
seals (though the new model is supposed to be better) and that they've
got zero sex appeal.

Those cheapie wheelsets they sell are indeed a bargain if you're
mechanically inclined. :D One of these days I'll get some nice hubs
from Ebay when I have the time. I always liked the Suntour Superbe
stuff.

On 15 Nov 2005 10:22:25 -0800, "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Jasper Janssen wrote:
>>
>> You mean the soles, right? I've never actually had non-rubber soles, for
>> one thing because I like my heart functioning and continuing to do so even
>> when I'm doing electrics, but do leather soles not have much less springy
>> effect?

>Rubber and other elastomers are fine materials to use for shoe soles.
>But there is a qualitative difference between shoes that have entire
>structural components molded or bonded in place, and shoes that are
>stitched to their soles. There are performance benefits to molded

Ah, right. Yeah, all my shoes are stitched to their soles, and have been
for at least a decade -- quite possibly starting from the time they became
big enough to require not just men's sizes (that would have been before I
entered puberty), but actual extra-large sizes from the special,
high-quality store around 14 or 15 or so.

>There are potential benefits to welded rims, if their welds are
>carefully finished and the rims are heat-treated after welding. But if
>you do them that way, then they will not be cheaper to manufacture than
>pinned rims.

How are welded rims cheaper than pinned in the first place? I'd think
slapping some pins in would be much faster and less laborious than
welding. I mean, rims get extruded into tight spirals, right (or do they
extrude straight and then spiralise?) -- as long as you make sure the
diameter of the spiral is slightly smaller than that of the finished rim,
pinning ought to be a fairly simple operation, shouldn't it?

Jasper

Jay Beattie wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Jay Beattie wrote:
>>
>>>"Lister" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>eyelet that

>>>the

>>>these Mavics

>>>should do a

> stopped
>
>>>selling

>>>that"....

>>>from Nashbar. I

>>>after a

>>>from what

>>>wheels--these felt

>>>nothing out

>>>on line?

>>>would be

>>>proof urban

> wrong
>
>>>with the

>>>inner

>>>that join

>>>difference than

>>>Yes and no. For example, in my experience, the anodized G40s

> had
>
>>>a higher failure rate than their non-annodized equivalent,

> the
>
>>>MA2/E2/ModE; they were not saved by the socket design. I

> pulled
>
>>>spokes through G40s, GP4s, Open Pros, etc. but never through

>>>non-anodized MA2.

>>jay, you never did get back to us on the spoke tension you use.

>>recall your problems with pulling sockets through open pros

> from a while
>
>>back, but that's one heck of a rare occurrance and i seriously

> doubt
>
>>it's possible at spoke tensions anywhere near manufacturer

> spec.
>
>>and silver ma2's /are/ anodized, just so you know.

> The old MA2/E2/ModEs were polished and not anodized. Later
> versions of the MA2 and the Gentleman were satin anodized. I
> still have a satin anodized Gentelman. I am talking about the
> old, polished MA2s. In any event, I cannot honestly answer your
> question about spoke tension because I only just recently bought
> a tensiometer. I would guess about 120kgf right side and 100kgf
> left. I built to much higher tensions with 36H/120mm E2
> wheels -- and to ungodly tensions with the Super Champion Mod
> 58s -- with absolutely no problems ever. As for the tension on
> the Open Pros/Open 4CD, they were as tight as necessary to
> prevent them from going slack. I was racing a lot at 200lbs,
> and probably had those at 130kgf right. I could not have run
> them lower and had them stay true -- not without Loctite (or
> something like it), which I prefer not to use on conventional
> wheels. I think a thread lock of some sort is inevitable on the
> low spoke count wheels. -- Jay Beattie.

thanks for the response jay. i have to say, that while i believe that
you have been experiencing problems, i can't understand why. i weigh
more than you, am strong enough to get some good frame whip going in a
sprint and carry varying loads when i commute. when properly "stress
relieved" [bedded in] i've had very few problems with wheels going out
of true. and i /do/ stick to manufacturer spoke tension spec. and don't
generally use loctite. a while back i switched from campy to shimano
hubs because they have slightly better flange spacing and a
correspondingly better left/right tension ratio, and while i fancy that
could make a small difference, it's not going to be a lot.

to test why wheels might go out of true, i have built wheels without
bedding in [they go out of true immediately] and have built wheels with
"moderate" bedding in [they go out of true moderately quickly]. and
i've built wheels that are fully bedded in, i.e. where you repeat the
over-tension exercise three or more times without any further deviation.
these wheels remain perfectly true afterward and these are the wheels
that are ready to ride. believe it or not, i've also tried the spoke
squeeze method and the mavic "two hands push" method and find the latter
to be more reliable - i can use close to my full body weight without
having to rely on arbitrary hand strength, gloves, etc. excess tension
will achieve the same result in terms of true stability, but at the cost
of rim reliability - as you have seen.

now, for you, if bedding in were to be the problem, loctite would not
help you because bedding in would still occur. however, once bedding in
has been properly achieved, and you're the kind of big honking brute
that regularly slackens left side spokes, then i'd say that loctite /is/
a solution for you to consider.

regarding anodizing, i'm old enough to have bought the mod-e's when they
first came out, and have a couple of ma2's knocking about in the garage.
i can't say i recall the mod-e being polished [guess i need to dig
through mother's attic some time], but both my silver ma2's are
definitely anodized. this accords with the old mavic datasheet i have
for them too. it's not a satin finish like the modern silver anodizing
but it's a kind of faux "bright".

regarding thread lock on low spoke count wheels, my mavics are indeed
nylocked, but my shimano r540's are not. they have large aluminum
nipples that have a higher coefficient of thread friction, but no other
apparent assistance, and tension that is not far off a standard high
spoke count wheel.

anyway, it's great you bought the tensiometer. i'm confident that if
built right, you /can/ have reliable true wheels without excess tension.

Chalo wrote:
> 41 wrote:
> >
> > Whoa- the last Adidas shoes I bought (4 years ago?) were a pair of
> > leather Countrys, made in Vietnam. They are great quality and I love
> > them- I use them exclusively for bicycle riding though. Pair before
> > that were Galaxies, very well made, stood up to a lot (the thin black
> > rubber outsole eventually came loose from one though, a common fault
> > with that construction).
> >
> > The Tigers and Pumas I've bought more recently are also excellent.

> It sounds like you need to refamiliarize yourself with quality shoes.
>
> Shoes that get squirted into a mold actually have a lot in common with
> welded rims made of aluminum/cream cheese alloy. One of the things
> they have in common is that I've already had as many of them as I ever
> care to.

You might consider that I weigh something like 25-33% of what you
weigh... you need to familliarize yourself with... nah, forget it.

Adidas, Puma, Tiger, etc all make RUNNING shoes. A running shoe with an
upper stitched to sole construction is high quality only in the strange
sense that a plywood board is a high-quality sheet of paper. Norwegian
welts, Goodyear welts, etc, are for heavy leather hiking boots and
street shoes. With carbon rubber tread and only a little shoe goo, for
me, the uppers wear out LONG before the soles, or before the soles
separate from the upper. I haven't had a running shoe sole separate
from the upper since... I don't know, maybe never. It is always the
upper itself that splits or rips. And rest assured I've put far more
milage on my shoes than you, in all weather.

41 wrote:

> Adidas, Puma, Tiger, etc all make RUNNING shoes. A running shoe with an
> upper stitched to sole construction is high quality only in the strange
> sense that a plywood board is a high-quality sheet of paper. Norwegian
> welts, Goodyear welts, etc, are for heavy leather hiking boots and
> street shoes. With carbon rubber tread and only a little shoe goo, for
> me, the uppers wear out LONG before the soles, or before the soles
> separate from the upper. I haven't had a running shoe sole separate
> from the upper since... I don't know, maybe never. It is always the
> upper itself that splits or rips. ...

jim beam says this is because you exceeded the
manufacturer's specifications on how tight you
are allowed to tie your shoelaces.

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> How are welded rims cheaper than pinned in the first place? I'd think
> slapping some pins in would be much faster and less laborious than
> welding.

Pinning the rim is not a complex operation, but the ends of a pinned
rim must be cut with great precision so that the rim will remain true
when the ends are compressed together. Whatever process is employed
must also leave the cut ends with exactly the same cross-sectional
shape as the rest of the rim, or else there will be braking anomalies.

A welded rim need not be cut especially neatly or square. The cut end
vanishes into the weld, and the mess left behind is cut away in a
quick, relatively insensitive process. It takes more machinery, but a
lot less human attention, to produce a welded rim .

Mavic's welds have gotten messier of late, and the sticker used to
conceal the non-machined inward-facing portion of the weld no longer
covers the irregularities. That wouldn't bother me so much if they'd
only heat treat the thing after welding.

Chalo Colina

[email protected] wrote:
> 41 wrote:
>
> > Adidas, Puma, Tiger, etc all make RUNNING shoes. A running shoe with an
> > upper stitched to sole construction is high quality only in the strange
> > sense that a plywood board is a high-quality sheet of paper. Norwegian
> > welts, Goodyear welts, etc, are for heavy leather hiking boots and
> > street shoes. With carbon rubber tread and only a little shoe goo, for
> > me, the uppers wear out LONG before the soles, or before the soles
> > separate from the upper. I haven't had a running shoe sole separate
> > from the upper since... I don't know, maybe never. It is always the
> > upper itself that splits or rips. ...

> jim beam says this is because you exceeded the
> manufacturer's specifications on how tight you
> are allowed to tie your shoelaces.

ACE!!†

Well, to digress even further--I found the wheel I should have got. For
only a hundred bucks I could have owned one of these:

http://www.nycbikes.com/item.php?item_id=472

That's right--a three speed hub that has threading on the opposite
side--think loctite and fixie.

A three speed and fixie all in one, I couldn't have dreamed up anything
cooler! Well, the fixed SA hubs are pretty nice too.

Too bad it just comes with a grip shifter which pretty much makes drops
out of the question.

> are the wheels that are ready to ride. believe it or not, i've also
> tried the spoke squeeze method and the mavic "two hands push" method

Can you elaborate on what this method entails?
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Warren Block wrote:
> Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > You still have the hubs? Get Sun CR-18 rims and build them up.

> For those of us with otherwise-good wheels with MA3 rims:
>
> Is there a decent, easy-to-get rim with the same ERD (607.5mm) as the
> MA3?
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

I believe that the new for 2006 mavic Open Sport is...I'll check today.
It is the replacement for the MA-3..made better according to the rep
and Mavic....we'll see,,,

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>>are the wheels that are ready to ride. believe it or not, i've also
>>tried the spoke squeeze method and the mavic "two hands push" method

> Can you elaborate on what this method entails?

it's in the previous munson thread. it's also on the mavic web site.

One year (years ago) at the GWBR I was riding with a tandem that had
Mavic MA rims. I forget which model, but I do remember thay had a blow
out and upon brief examination it was noticed that a 2 cm piece of the
sidewall was missing!

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Wait, I have Mavic "CroosLand" rims on my MTB! No trouble withj them
yet. Have there been any reports of failure with these?

I weigh 170 lbs (77kg), and use them for the street.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

<sigh> If sew ups wern't such a [female dog] to repair, I might have
taken those "naturally anodized" rims off your hands. </sigh>

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> dvt wrote:
>>I gotta ask... Why don't we see someone stepping in and filling the
>>void with a higher quality product? Or is that already happening with
>>a company like Velocity, but it's just happening gradually?

> Low-mileage riders (most) don't notice...

Most low-mileage riders will take the advice of a seasoned rider or
their LBS if they're buying something with Mavics (not a department
store bike). So if there were a significantly better product, I think it
would eventually gain market share.

> ...and most people I know replace rims
> due to potholes, accidents, etc. instead of mileage/brake surface
> erosion.

You make a very good point here. It's pretty hard to tell whether a
better rim would have survived a specific event, so maybe we'd never
know if a rim were better. If we can't tell the difference, then the
poorer rim is good enough.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

> [...]

> help you because bedding in would still occur. however, once

bedding in
> has been properly achieved, and you're the kind of big honking

brute
> that regularly slackens left side spokes, then i'd say that

loctite /is/
> a solution for you to consider.
>
> regarding anodizing, i'm old enough to have bought the mod-e's

when they
> first came out, and have a couple of ma2's knocking about in

the garage.
> i can't say i recall the mod-e being polished [guess i need

to dig
> through mother's attic some time], but both my silver ma2's are
> definitely anodized. this accords with the old mavic datasheet

i have
> for them too. it's not a satin finish like the modern silver

Go to http://www.bikeville.com/tires.html and check the clincher
rims. They have the E2s and MA2 (and Gentlemen) which all look
polished to me. -- Jay Beattie.

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:49:32 -0500, dvt wrote:

> I gotta ask... Why don't we see someone stepping in and filling the void
> with a higher quality product? Or is that already happening with a
> company like Velocity, but it's just happening gradually?

There is another effect on this, in that so many riders who would be in a
position to know -- those who ride several thousand miles per year, are
composed of two camps: those who buy boutique wheels and replace them
both any time something goes wrong or someone has an even fancier wheel,
and those who have been building their own wheels for years and already
avoid MA3s.

I am amazed by the increasing percentage of riders in the first camp.
They must have a lot of money to spend on things like this -- personally
I'd choke on the idea of spending $1000 on a pair of wheels. Heck, $100
is beyond what I'd consider now that I have lots of good hubs. But most
riders I see on group rides have these name-brand fancy-ass wheels. One
guy last Sunday had wheels with 3 flanges -- and even with an extra flange
they didn't have a full complement of spokes. Go figure.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.