MA3 rim worn out joy

Clive George

Guest
I was pleasantly surprised to discover my rear rim had worn out in a
non-catastrophic manner. The MA3 isn't a plain box-section, but has a couple
of extra bits meaning it's got three holes - see picture of the replacement
here

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/Open-Sport.323975.aspx

(different name, same basic section).

What appears to have happened is I wore through the bottom half of the brake
track first, so a gap appeared there. The tyre pressure pushed the sides
out, so it bulged a bit (which told me it was worn out), but it didn't split
catastrophically as it was all held together by the inner web.

When I let the tyres down to take it all apart for a new rim, the gap opened
up amusingly - there's not much metal in quite a lot of that rim :)

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> I was pleasantly surprised to discover my rear rim had worn out in a
> non-catastrophic manner. The MA3 isn't a plain box-section, but has a
> couple of extra bits meaning it's got three holes - see picture of the
> replacement here
>
> http://www.mavic.com/road/products/Open-Sport.323975.aspx
>
> (different name, same basic section).
>
> What appears to have happened is I wore through the bottom half of the
> brake track first, so a gap appeared there.

Do you do a lot of rear braking? Or was the wheel of some considerable
age? Any rear wheels I've lost have been through spoke fatigue or hub
failure. I don't remember wearing out a rim.

Anyway, glad there was no catastrophe to report.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

"Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> I was pleasantly surprised to discover my rear rim had worn out in a
>> non-catastrophic manner. The MA3 isn't a plain box-section, but has a
>> couple of extra bits meaning it's got three holes - see picture of the
>> replacement here
>>
>> http://www.mavic.com/road/products/Open-Sport.323975.aspx
>>
>> (different name, same basic section).
>>
>> What appears to have happened is I wore through the bottom half of the
>> brake track first, so a gap appeared there.

> Do you do a lot of rear braking? Or was the wheel of some considerable
> age? Any rear wheels I've lost have been through spoke fatigue or hub
> failure. I don't remember wearing out a rim.

Don't do a lot of braking. Rim is about 17000 miles old, year round use.
Might have had some harsh blocks on it at one point. They do seem to wear
out faster these days though.

(it's on the second hub (flange failure), but I think original spokes).

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> "Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Clive George wrote:
>>> I was pleasantly surprised to discover my rear rim had worn out in a
>>> non-catastrophic manner. The MA3 isn't a plain box-section, but has a
>>> couple of extra bits meaning it's got three holes - see picture of
>>> the replacement here
>>>
>>> http://www.mavic.com/road/products/Open-Sport.323975.aspx
>>>
>>> (different name, same basic section).
>>>
>>> What appears to have happened is I wore through the bottom half of
>>> the brake track first, so a gap appeared there.

>> Do you do a lot of rear braking? Or was the wheel of some
>> considerable age? Any rear wheels I've lost have been through spoke
>> fatigue or hub failure. I don't remember wearing out a rim.

> Don't do a lot of braking. Rim is about 17000 miles old, year round use.
> Might have had some harsh blocks on it at one point. They do seem to
> wear out faster these days though.
>
> (it's on the second hub (flange failure), but I think original spokes).

Fair enough. I'd think 17k miles is a decent turn for a modern alloy
rim. Our old steel rims seemed to last forever, but then they tended to
slide sedately between the brake blocks even at white-knuckle grip on
the lever!

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk