MA3's

Callistus Valerius

Guest
I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems, both
have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of the spoke
holes, and lasted about 4000 miles. The other rear one, has 5000 miles on
it, and still no sign of cracking. The one that cracked, I tightened the
spokes on it, to correct an out of true situation. Now I'm not a
wheelsmith, by a longshot, but I think I may have tightened it too much, and
that's why the spokes were pulling through. The one that hasn't cracked,
has stayed true, and I haven't touched it. So maybe the key to the MA3
paradox, is to keep your freakin' hands off of them.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems, both
> have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of the
> spoke holes, and lasted about 4000 miles. The other rear one, has
> 5000 miles on it, and still no sign of cracking. The one that
> cracked, I tightened the spokes on it, to correct an out of true
> situation. Now I'm not a wheelsmith, by a longshot, but I think I
> may have tightened it too much, and that's why the spokes were
> pulling through. The one that hasn't cracked, has stayed true, and I
> haven't touched it. So maybe the key to the MA3 paradox, is to keep
> your freakin' hands off of them.

IME no dish and 36 spokes helps. A 32 spoke 8/9/10 speed wheel is
effectively a 16 spoke wheel when considering supporting the load.

I have only one MA3, which is on my singlespeed (built on a 1930s Bendix
coaster brake hub) and much to my astonishment it has yet to crack. I
think I built that wheel about 5 years ago and it's had 1000-2000 miles
on it each year.

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems, both
> have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of the spoke
> holes, and lasted about 4000 miles. The other rear one, has 5000 miles on
> it, and still no sign of cracking. The one that cracked, I tightened the
> spokes on it, to correct an out of true situation. Now I'm not a
> wheelsmith, by a longshot, but I think I may have tightened it too much, and
> that's why the spokes were pulling through. The one that hasn't cracked,
> has stayed true, and I haven't touched it. So maybe the key to the MA3
> paradox, is to keep your freakin' hands off of them.

heretic! kill the unbeliever! the lord sayeth tension shall be "as
high as the rim can bear" and shall smite all those who say nay or dare
evidence the effects of the holy word without instead blaming the evil
spirit, ano di zing. may the fleas of your camel have fleas.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems, both
>> have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of the
>> spoke holes, and lasted about 4000 miles. The other rear one, has
>> 5000 miles on it, and still no sign of cracking. The one that
>> cracked, I tightened the spokes on it, to correct an out of true
>> situation. Now I'm not a wheelsmith, by a longshot, but I think I
>> may have tightened it too much, and that's why the spokes were
>> pulling through. The one that hasn't cracked, has stayed true, and I
>> haven't touched it. So maybe the key to the MA3 paradox, is to keep
>> your freakin' hands off of them.

> IME no dish and 36 spokes helps. A 32 spoke 8/9/10 speed wheel is
> effectively a 16 spoke wheel when considering supporting the load.
>
> I have only one MA3, which is on my singlespeed (built on a 1930s Bendix
> coaster brake hub) and much to my astonishment it has yet to crack. I
> think I built that wheel about 5 years ago and it's had 1000-2000 miles
> on it each year.

When the MA3 on the rear of my "rain" bike (Campy Veloce 9 speed)
cracked out, I replaced it with... another MA3, cuz, well, it's what the
dealer had in stock for cheap and I wanted to get it built that day. I
am surprised to report that it hasn't yet cracked out after a few
seasons, but if and when it does, I won't be replacing it with another MA3.

I seem to be lucky with rims (I'm not particularly light, either, ~170 lbs).

Mark J.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems, both
>> have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of the
>> spoke holes, and lasted about 4000 miles. The other rear one, has
>> 5000 miles on it, and still no sign of cracking. The one that
>> cracked, I tightened the spokes on it, to correct an out of true
>> situation. Now I'm not a wheelsmith, by a longshot, but I think I
>> may have tightened it too much, and that's why the spokes were
>> pulling through. The one that hasn't cracked, has stayed true, and I
>> haven't touched it. So maybe the key to the MA3 paradox, is to keep
>> your freakin' hands off of them.

> IME no dish and 36 spokes helps. A 32 spoke 8/9/10 speed wheel is
> effectively a 16 spoke wheel when considering supporting the load.

that's only true if the 16 other spokes are slack.

On 2007-03-27, Callistus Valerius <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems, both
> have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of the spoke
> holes, and lasted about 4000 miles.

Were the cracked holes on the side where the gears are, i.e. where the
spokes are tightest?

> The other rear one, has 5000 miles on it, and still no sign of
> cracking. The one that cracked, I tightened the spokes on it, to
> correct an out of true situation. Now I'm not a wheelsmith, by a
> longshot, but I think I may have tightened it too much, and that's why
> the spokes were pulling through.

I should think very likely. Bear in mind also that they might not crack
the day you actually overtighten them, but a few months later due to
accelerated fatigue caused by the high stress.

On Mar 26, 7:28 pm, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems, both
> have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of the spoke
> holes, and lasted about 4000 miles. The other rear one, has 5000 miles on
> it, and still no sign of cracking. The one that cracked, I tightened the
> spokes on it, to correct an out of true situation. Now I'm not a
> wheelsmith, by a longshot, but I think I may have tightened it too much, and
> that's why the spokes were pulling through. The one that hasn't cracked,
> has stayed true, and I haven't touched it. So maybe the key to the MA3
> paradox, is to keep your freakin' hands off of them.

The key is not using them and if you have them, wait and they will
crack.I even saw cracks on non drive side rear, where tension wasn't
the issue in the truing stand but stress of riding the whel was. Even
Mavic admitted to a poor design and execution of these rims. No
problem so far with OpenSport, the MA-3 replacement.

In article <[email protected]>,
jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems,
> >> both have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of
> >> the spoke holes, and lasted about 4000 miles. The other rear one,
> >> has 5000 miles on it, and still no sign of cracking. The one that
> >> cracked, I tightened the spokes on it, to correct an out of true
> >> situation. Now I'm not a wheelsmith, by a longshot, but I think I
> >> may have tightened it too much, and that's why the spokes were
> >> pulling through. The one that hasn't cracked, has stayed true,
> >> and I haven't touched it. So maybe the key to the MA3 paradox, is
> >> to keep your freakin' hands off of them.

> > IME no dish and 36 spokes helps. A 32 spoke 8/9/10 speed wheel is
> > effectively a 16 spoke wheel when considering supporting the load.

> that's only true if the 16 other spokes are slack.

Yup.

But happily the MA3 has held up well with this particular wheel. Since
there's no rim brake on the rear wheel, I expect it will never wear out
and I will use it until it breaks. If it outlives my use of it, so much
the better!

> The key is not using them and if you have them, wait and they will
> crack.I even saw cracks on non drive side rear, where tension wasn't
> the issue in the truing stand but stress of riding the whel was. Even
> Mavic admitted to a poor design and execution of these rims. No
> problem so far with OpenSport, the MA-3 replacement.

---------
from pics the OpenSport looks like the MA-3, why are they better? Of
course my serious wheels are Open Pros which I like better than some of the
boutique wheelsets that I rarely use. Now how do the Open Pros compare to
Open Sports? If the Open Sports have a wider rim than the Open Pros, if
they are, and are as reliable as the Pros I probably would buy a wheelset.
Sometimes I get in a wide tire mood (28's), and I think they fit better on
wider rims.

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems, both
> have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of the spoke
> holes, and lasted about 4000 miles. The other rear one, has 5000 miles on
> it, and still no sign of cracking. The one that cracked, I tightened the
> spokes on it, to correct an out of true situation. Now I'm not a
> wheelsmith, by a longshot, but I think I may have tightened it too much, and
> that's why the spokes were pulling through. The one that hasn't cracked,
> has stayed true, and I haven't touched it. So maybe the key to the MA3
> paradox, is to keep your freakin' hands off of them.

I'm waiting for mine to crack. It was a distress purchase to replace a
bent Open 4CD on relatively new spokes - the ERD of the two rims is
almost identical, but an Open Pro wouldn't have been close enough. OK
so far, but it's a summer-only racing bike and therefore not as stressed
as the year-round loaded commuter.

In article <[email protected]>, Tim
McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have 2 pairs of MA3's. The front ones, I've had no problems, both
> > have 10,000+ miles on them. One rear one cracked at a few of the
> > spoke holes, and lasted about 4000 miles. The other rear one, has
> > 5000 miles on it, and still no sign of cracking. The one that
> > cracked, I tightened the spokes on it, to correct an out of true
> > situation. Now I'm not a wheelsmith, by a longshot, but I think I
> > may have tightened it too much, and that's why the spokes were
> > pulling through. The one that hasn't cracked, has stayed true, and I
> > haven't touched it. So maybe the key to the MA3 paradox, is to keep
> > your freakin' hands off of them.

> IME no dish and 36 spokes helps. A 32 spoke 8/9/10 speed wheel is
> effectively a 16 spoke wheel when considering supporting the load.
>
> I have only one MA3, which is on my singlespeed (built on a 1930s Bendix
> coaster brake hub) and much to my astonishment it has yet to crack. I
> think I built that wheel about 5 years ago and it's had 1000-2000 miles
> on it each year.

Corroborating your impressions? I've two MA3s in service, both of the
36 spoke variety. The front has seen constant -- almost daily --
service on my all rounder for about 4 years (on a FG which rarely has
its front brake applied); the rear, laced to a Phil Wood FG hub, has
been off and on several bikes and used intermittently for the same
duration. Both wheels are laced 3x and built in accordance to the
instructions in Jobst's "The Bicycle Wheel" -- so I suppose that some
consider them excessively tensioned.

No cracks yet. I'll post when/if they fail.

Luke

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tim McNamara wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <[email protected]>,

>>> IME no dish and 36 spokes helps. A 32 spoke 8/9/10 speed wheel is
>>> effectively a 16 spoke wheel when considering supporting the load.

>> that's only true if the 16 other spokes are slack.

> Yup.
>
> But happily the MA3 has held up well with this particular wheel. Since
> there's no rim brake on the rear wheel, I expect it will never wear out
> and I will use it until it breaks. If it outlives my use of it, so much
> the better!

does that explain how you expect to get 16 slack spokes?

In article <[email protected]>,
jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> that's only true if the 16 other spokes are slack.

> > Yup.
> >
> > But happily the MA3 has held up well with this particular wheel.
> > Since there's no rim brake on the rear wheel, I expect it will
> > never wear out and I will use it until it breaks. If it outlives
> > my use of it, so much the better!

> does that explain how you expect to get 16 slack spokes?

Picking yet another fight, jim? Boring. And not interested. Try
somebody else.

"Callistus Valerius" wrote:

> from pics the OpenSport looks like the MA-3, why are they better?

They beefed up the part where the single eyelet lives to make it
harder for a spoke to pull through.

> Now how do the Open Pros compare to
> Open Sports?

They use sockets (a.k.a. "double eyelets") to spread the load of the
spoke tension over the inner and outer parts of the rim. The OPs are
lighter (435g vs. 490g for the Open Sport).

Art Harris

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tim McNamara wrote:

>>> Yup.
>>>
>>> But happily the MA3 has held up well with this particular wheel.
>>> Since there's no rim brake on the rear wheel, I expect it will
>>> never wear out and I will use it until it breaks. If it outlives
>>> my use of it, so much the better!

>> does that explain how you expect to get 16 slack spokes?

> Picking yet another fight, jim? Boring. And not interested. Try
> somebody else.

oh, the irony. stop telling us more than you actually know or stick to
rec.bicycles.idleunderinformedchitchat timmy boy - "tech" is not your
strong point.

wrote:
> > The key is not using them and if you have them, wait and they will
> > crack.I even saw cracks on non drive side rear, where tension wasn't
> > the issue in the truing stand but stress of riding the whel was. Even
> > Mavic admitted to a poor design and execution of these rims. No
> > problem so far with OpenSport, the MA-3 replacement.

> ---------
> from pics the OpenSport looks like the MA-3, why are they better? Of
> course my serious wheels are Open Pros which I like better than some of the
> boutique wheelsets that I rarely use. Now how do the Open Pros compare to
> Open Sports? If the Open Sports have a wider rim than the Open Pros, if
> they are, and are as reliable as the Pros I probably would buy a wheelset.
> Sometimes I get in a wide tire mood (28's), and I think they fit better on
> wider rims.

heavier, harder aluminum particularly to support single eyelets.
OpenPro has double eyelets and lighter rim overall. OpenSport also $35
vs $60 for OpenPro. Same width for both.

We have built a dozen or so Open Sports with no problems so far.