Macic Freehub Lube Question

litespeedguy

Sep 13, 2003
I recently watched a video by Rogue Mechanic on Mavic freehub lubrication; he recommends Pedro's Road Rage which contains mineral oil ; is this still sold ? and also does anyone know of an alternative lube ?

If you're talking about the pawls, just about anything goes. When they move, there's very little load on them. Grease can get a bit too sticky at low temperatures, and 3-in-one, WD-40 and similar are a bit too thin. But anything inbetween should do just fine.

Spindle oil is what I use for freewheels and cassettes. That's a low viscosity mineral oil.

Any 5-20 weight automotive oil will work. I've used dino and synthetic in the past. The mineral oil part is not important. The low viscosity part is. Vegetable oils tend to get gummy, so avoid them. Grease and gear oils are too high in viscosity for use in high speed ratchet pawls.

Your other question:

Yeah, Pedro's discontinued Road Rage. They suggest using "Go" as the replacement lube for Mavic cassettes.

http://pedros.com/products/clean-and-lube/lubricants-and-grease/go/

Which lubricant can I use in place of Road Rage on my Mavic freehub?
The closest replacement to Road Rage would be our Go! lubricant. This is a low viscosity lubricant with exceptional penetration and lubrication properties and should work well in your Mavic hub. Another option is Chainj which is very similar to Go! but has a higher viscosity.

thanks for the replies ; Bob, the Go! and Chainj sound like great alternatives & the link had some good cleaning tips - thanks again !!!!