Mad Jack Fuller's (120k, bumpy bits) & Kennett Valley Run (200k,not so scenic)

davek

Guest
So, who shall I see in Hailsham this weekend? I wasn't planning to, but
some crazy masochistic urge made me send off an entry form... MartinM, I
know you're doing it. Anyone else?

And anyone up for the Kennett Valley Run the following weekend? I'm
looking forward to that one particularly as it will be the first outing
for my shiny new Schmidt wheel (I won't bother fitting it for Mad Jack's
as I'm assuming I'll finish in the light and will need to pare off as
much extraneous weight as possible if I'm to get up them hills).

d.

davek wrote:

> And anyone up for the Kennett Valley Run the following weekend? I'm
> looking forward to that one particularly as it will be the first outing
> for my shiny new Schmidt wheel (I won't bother fitting it for Mad Jack's
> as I'm assuming I'll finish in the light and will need to pare off as
> much extraneous weight as possible if I'm to get up them hills).

I've sent off a last minute entry for the Kennett Valley. I presume I'm
in though I've not had the route sheet back yet. I'll probably ride out
to the start and make it an unofficial 300.

--
Dave...

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:01:20 +0000, davek <[email protected]>
wrote:

>So, who shall I see in Hailsham this weekend? I wasn't planning to, but
>some crazy masochistic urge made me send off an entry form... MartinM, I
>know you're doing it. Anyone else?

Me. Got permission from The Boss, sent my entry last week, got the
route Monday. Weather looks "variable". Got shiny new Koolstop
Salmons fitted, so braking down some of those hills should be
improved.

I'm the one on the Magenta Mercian, AUK top (hidden under grubby
yellow Altura jacket).

>And anyone up for the Kennett Valley Run the following weekend?

Away next weekend.

>I'm
>looking forward to that one particularly as it will be the first outing
>for my shiny new Schmidt wheel (I won't bother fitting it for Mad Jack's
>as I'm assuming I'll finish in the light and will need to pare off as
>much extraneous weight as possible if I'm to get up them hills).

Last time I did Mad Jack, the killer was the section to Fairlight
Beacon - not enough food taken on board before hand. However the
restorative powers of El Supremo catering worked wonders and
everything was fine after that.

Tim

davek wrote:
> So, who shall I see in Hailsham this weekend? I wasn't planning to, but
> some crazy masochistic urge made me send off an entry form... MartinM, I
> know you're doing it. Anyone else?

I'll be de-lurking long enough to do it, together with a mate from
work. We're both 'veterans' of one Audax each (I've done Mad Jack's
before and he was on the last Mid-Sussex hilly).

MikeF

---
mjfarnesATbigfootDOTcom

davek wrote:
> So, who shall I see in Hailsham this weekend? I wasn't planning to,
> but some crazy masochistic urge made me send off an entry form...
> MartinM, I know you're doing it. Anyone else?

Would love to (honest!). But I'm otherwise committed. See you on the Invicta
Hilly, though. How are you planning to get there? I think I'll be taking the
train.

dkahn400 wrote:
> davek wrote:
>
>> And anyone up for the Kennett Valley Run the following weekend? I'm
>> looking forward to that one particularly as it will be the first outing
>> for my shiny new Schmidt wheel (I won't bother fitting it for Mad Jack's
>> as I'm assuming I'll finish in the light and will need to pare off as
>> much extraneous weight as possible if I'm to get up them hills).

> I've sent off a last minute entry for the Kennett Valley. I presume I'm
> in though I've not had the route sheet back yet. I'll probably ride out
> to the start and make it an unofficial 300.

Our route sheets for the 100km arrived today. I'm sure you guys will
finish the 200 before we've got round the 100, so give a wave as you pass!

"Mike K Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> dkahn400 wrote:
>> davek wrote:
>>
>>> And anyone up for the Kennett Valley Run the following weekend? I'm
>>> looking forward to that one particularly as it will be the first outing
>>> for my shiny new Schmidt wheel (I won't bother fitting it for Mad Jack's
>>> as I'm assuming I'll finish in the light and will need to pare off as
>>> much extraneous weight as possible if I'm to get up them hills).

>> I've sent off a last minute entry for the Kennett Valley. I presume I'm
>> in though I've not had the route sheet back yet. I'll probably ride out
>> to the start and make it an unofficial 300.

> Our route sheets for the 100km arrived today. I'm sure you guys will
> finish the 200 before we've got round the 100, so give a wave as you pass!

My sister and I will be doing the 100 as well so we'll maybe see some of you

Julia

mikef wrote:
> davek wrote:
> > So, who shall I see in Hailsham this weekend? I wasn't planning to, but
> > some crazy masochistic urge made me send off an entry form... MartinM, I
> > know you're doing it. Anyone else?

> I'll be de-lurking long enough to do it, together with a mate from
> work. We're both 'veterans' of one Audax each (I've done Mad Jack's
> before and he was on the last Mid-Sussex hilly).

Mike; who was your mate? I've still got your SAE from last year's MSH
(you can have it back this year).
I will be at MJF; hoping to make it 160km by riding to the start but we
shall see. Still have the old grotty skog(tm)-scratched wheels; keeping
the new ones for nicer rides in the spring / summer and ultimately PBP
;-o
If the weather turns unexpectedly fantastic I shall break out the Trek.
East Grinstead CC top (the fatter/shorter of the two).

In article <[email protected]>, davek
([email protected]) wrote:
> So, who shall I see in Hailsham this weekend? I wasn't planning to, but
> some crazy masochistic urge made me send off an entry form... MartinM, I
> know you're doing it. Anyone else?

Not I, said he, for I am doing the Whirligig 150 in Naarch instead. I
am looking forward to checking for the existence of "scenery" in
Naarfolk...

> And anyone up for the Kennett Valley Run the following weekend? I'm
> looking forward to that one particularly as it will be the first outing
> for my shiny new Schmidt wheel (I won't bother fitting it for Mad Jack's
> as I'm assuming I'll finish in the light and will need to pare off as
> much extraneous weight as possible if I'm to get up them hills).

I shall, however, be doing the Kennett Valley (200).

My other motto is in Latin.

Mike K Smith wrote:

> Our route sheets for the 100km arrived today. I'm sure you guys will
> finish the 200 before we've got round the 100, so give a wave as you pass!

Unlikely as we've only got 90 minutes head start.

--
Dave...

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, davek
> ([email protected]) wrote:
> > So, who shall I see in Hailsham this weekend? I wasn't planning to, but
> > some crazy masochistic urge made me send off an entry form... MartinM, I
> > know you're doing it. Anyone else?

> Not I, said he, for I am doing the Whirligig 150 in Naarch instead. I
> am looking forward to checking for the existence of "scenery" in
> Naarfolk...

I believe that tomorrow just happens to be the start of the faux
hunting season, it was last year, the entire 4x4 and horse box owning
population of SE Engerland was either parked or attempting to on the
top of Brightling; I even had to guide two owners of the same who had
completely wedged the route by both trying to use the same extremely
narrow (narrower than your HGV near death experience Simon) lane in
opposite directions.

dkahn400 wrote On 02/17/06 11:49,:
> Mike K Smith wrote:
>

>>Our route sheets for the 100km arrived today. I'm sure you guys will
>>finish the 200 before we've got round the 100, so give a wave as you pass!

> Unlikely as we've only got 90 minutes head start.

Don't overestimate us! Going on past form we'll probably trundle round
the 100km in just under 7 hours, including stops. If you're pushing fast
times at the front there's a chance you'll be back before us, or
arriving as we're having our tea and cakes.

Mike K Smith wrote:
> Don't overestimate us! Going on past form we'll probably trundle round
> the 100km in just under 7 hours, including stops. If you're pushing fast
> times at the front there's a chance you'll be back before us, or
> arriving as we're having our tea and cakes.

Hmmm, 200k in 8 1/2 hrs is unlikely for me - my best time for a 200 is
10hrs, and I was in much better shape then so I'm unlikely to repeat
that this time.

d.

Tim Hall wrote:
> I'm the one on the Magenta Mercian, AUK top (hidden under grubby
> yellow Altura jacket).

Me Green Raleigh Royal. Am taking several clothing options and will
choose depending on the weather.

See you in Hailsham.

d.

Simon Bennett wrote:
> How are you planning to get there? I think I'll be taking the
> train.

Which train? I didn't think there were any that got close enough to
Otford at that time on a Sunday morning. I'm contemplating riding over
(only 60k!) but I'll most likely end up driving.

d.

davek wrote:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
> > How are you planning to get there? I think I'll be taking the
> > train.

> Which train? I didn't think there were any that got close enough to
> Otford at that time on a Sunday morning. I'm contemplating riding over
> (only 60k!) but I'll most likely end up driving.

the start is down by the car park this year, perhaps the scout hut has
finally fallen/burnt down?

davek wrote:
> So, who shall I see in Hailsham this weekend?

Quick RR;
Urrrrgghhhh!!

longer RR; A strange day, met a Willesden CC rider at home and rode 45k
to the start; fairly straightforward but very frosty. Met Mssrs Hall
and Kenning of this parish at the start, and also at Penhurst (where I
forgot to get my card stamped). Conditions and my legs deteriorated
over the next 58km to Fairlight; where needless to say the AUK vehicles
were the only ones in the car park, and faster riders were selling
places under the only tree. On the way we passed a faux hunt, glad to
say the number of 4x4's was about 1/10 of last year's. The remainder of
the ride was a mix of riding on a slow flat to avoid losing touch with
the Lewes posse (which would have involved having to actually read the
route sheet), and ultimately failing, and negotiating the less brown
rivers running over the road to clean the skog (tm) from under my
mudguards. Grovelled back to the finish at 1555, where Tim was sat with
tempting cappucino and sticky choccy donut. The first time I did it the
controllers at Burwash remarked "a lot of riders do it once only"; this
was my third on a row; do I need counselling?

On 18 Feb 2006 09:59:03 -0800, "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:

>davek wrote:
>> So, who shall I see in Hailsham this weekend?

>Quick RR;
>Urrrrgghhhh!!

And one from me.

Part of the deal for me getting away was that Mrs. Hall got use of the
car. Imagine my delight when I found the only car key amongst my
belongings just as my train was coming in. Ho hum.

Off at Polegate and into the Co-op to get extra supplies. Then 10
minutes up the Cuckoo Trail to Hailsham, dodging dog walkers on the
way. Met up with Colin of the Tandem Club, and bumped into MartinM.
Colin and I set off about 10 minutes before the official start time,
as suggested by Mark Heffer, to avoid clogging the roads with a 110
strong peleton. Not long after we started, so did the rain. On with
waterproofs and got accosted by someone who turned out to be davek.

Onward and upward to the first proper checkpoint, where I guzzled a
cup of coffee and various bits of cake. A quick chin wag, then back
down the hill in the drizzle.

Some excitement: Swooping down a hill somewhere, I applied my back
brake. More lever movement than normal plus graunching noise = missing
brake block. Bugger. Subsequent descents were taken more gingerly.

We soon arrived at Burwash for squash and mueslei bars. Bumped into
MartinM again and we chatted about dynamo hubs. I phoned Mrs. Hall to
tell her the news about the car key, which wasn't exactly what she
wanted to hear. The rain seemed to have stopped, so waterproofs were
removed. Things are rather chilly as the damp underlayers get blasted
by the air, but we soon warm up as the climb up Burwash hill kicked
in. Compared to the last time I did this ride I was going much better
and felt confident. Then a series of uphills attacked, and my granny
ring was pressed into service. The rain started again so we had
another stop for waterproofs. At about this stage we got passed by a
bloke on fixed. Must be Mad Jack himself.

The climb up to Fairlight had me grovelling and swearing in equal
measure. The rain came down harder just as I arrived at El Supremo's
catering wagon. Marvellous. Coffee, cake, sauasage rolls, rice pud and
tinned fruit. Two blokes seemed to be mending a puncture in the
ladies' loo. Or rather mending a puncture in their rear wheel while
sheltering in the ladies' loo.

The weather wasn't conducive to hanging around, so soggy gloves were
reapplied and we shot off down hill. The restorative properties of El
Supremo's rice pud were such that the little ring was banished for
nearly all of the way home, and the miles slipped past. The rain got
heavier and "uphill" got replaced with "upstream" as the word of
choice for ascending. Obligatory dead badger spotted somewhere near
the final info control, plus MartinM who by now had a slow puncture.

And then we were in Hailsham, in the warm and dry. Coffee, chat then
zoot down to Polegate for the train home.

A good day.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:

Obligatory dead badger spotted somewhere near
> the final info control, plus MartinM who by now had a slow puncture.

I saw 2 dead badgerbadgers; plus the puncture is one of those annoying
ones which goes down to half way then stays there, maybe time to retire
the wheels as the new ones / tyres are in the garage (sorry if that is
a Sheddi profanity) and the brake blocks are now almost as worn as
yours ;-)
To top it all I got an e-mail when I got home as to why us wimps did
not turn up for last week's equally damp club run; I had great comfort
this morning in County Mall and Pets World (new hamster, Mrs M is not
happy) rather than on bike.

Tim Hall wrote:
> The climb up to Fairlight had me grovelling and swearing in equal
> measure. The rain came down harder just as I arrived at El Supremo's
> catering wagon. Marvellous. Coffee, cake, sauasage rolls, rice pud and
> tinned fruit.

By the time I reached the Fairlight control, the famously reliable El
Supremo's boiler had broken down, so no hot drinks for me, which was the
worst possible news - the only thing that kept me going up that *******
hill was the thought of a steaming cup of tea at the top. Just as well I
didn't know about the boiler failure before the start of the hill or I
would have packed there and then.

The control staff didn't believe me that the weather was actually
clearing up - but they were stuck up their with their heads in the
clouds. Literally. The conditions up there made the Poor Student way
back in frozen January seem positively tropical.

One of my fellow stragglers hit on the bright idea of using the hand
blower in the gents to attempt to get a bit drier and warmer, so we
huddled round taking it in turns to use the thing until it overheated
and shut down... Still, I got my hands just about warm enough to
contemplate setting off again - the descent was hell, riding at speed
into the wind and stinging rain in soaking clothes, and I was glad to
get climbing again as the effort raised the body temperature a few degrees.

By the time I hit the flattish section (which was flat enough to make me
think I must have gone off route...) the weather was cheering up a
little, and I started to feel quite good again. And after another heavy
but brief shower, I rolled into Hailsham with an attractive sunset as a
backdrop, at about 5.15pm - by which time the car park the majority of
the field were already well on their way home.

But I'm glad I didn't try to go any faster - I'm still some way short of
peak condition so 8 and a bit hours isn't too bad going, considering the
terrain and weather conditions. And by pacing myself over the first
100km I had enough in reserve to up the tempo and put in a bit of a
spurt for the last 20km.

> Obligatory dead badger spotted somewhere near
> the final info control, plus MartinM who by now had a slow puncture.

I saw the badger - the second of the day, in fact. Didn't see MartinM,
though - he's faster than me even with a puncture.

> And then we were in Hailsham, in the warm and dry. Coffee, chat then
> zoot down to Polegate for the train home.

I'm extremely glad I took some fresh, clean civvies to change into at
the end - I had no idea how badly I was going to need them, but it would
have been horrible to have to drive home in my cycling gear. The leisure
centre showers were also /very/ welcome.

d.