Made in America?

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> > > Some companies with lots of non-Far East, but not American, components include:
> >
> > Why are European companies superior to Asian companies?
>
> Other than Campagnolo, are there are European component makes other than for saddles, seat posts
> and handlebars?

DT-Swiss makes wheelgoods and suspension parts. Marzocchi makes suspension. There are many European
tire makers.

I'm not sure where Avid originates.

Barry

Not the Karl Orff <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>> > Some companies with lots of non-Far East, but not American, components include:
>>
>> Why are European companies superior to Asian companies?

> Other than Campagnolo, are there are European component makes other than for saddles, seat posts
> and handlebars?

Depends on what you mean by "component". There are several rim and wheel manufacturers, DT and Sapim
make spokes, many companies make hubs, TA makes high-quality cranks, chainrings and bottom brackets,
many companies make tyres and tubes, many companies make computers. In general, building a strictly
European road bike is relatively easy. For most components, excluding some only made by Campagnolo,
I believe the choices are numerous. There are plenty of companies not mentioned above especially in
the high-end niche market.

> I know Mavic has dropped out of it except for rims.

This is not true. Mavic also manufactures boutique wheels, hubs, cassettes and brakes. I don't know
if Mektronic is still made.

-as

In article <[email protected]>, Antti Salonen
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Depends on what you mean by "component". There are several rim and wheel manufacturers, DT and
> Sapim make spokes, many companies make hubs, TA makes high-quality cranks, chainrings and bottom
> brackets, many companies make tyres and tubes, many companies make computers. In general, building
> a strictly European road bike is relatively easy. For most components, excluding some only made by
> Campagnolo, I believe the choices are numerous. There are plenty of companies not mentioned above
> especially in the high-end niche market.

As others, but none offering anywhere near a comprehensive package. And sometimes the components are
substandard (witness the Ringle freeub which i was wisely talked outof buying)

> > I know Mavic has dropped out of it except for rims.
>
> This is not true. Mavic also manufactures boutique wheels, hubs, cassettes and brakes. I don't
> know if Mektronic is still made.

the last time I checked on the site, it implied only only rims were still made (I own a bike with
Mavic crank, BB, headset, shifters and derailleurs)

On Thu, 01 May 2003 18:39:07 +0000, B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

> DT-Swiss makes wheelgoods and suspension parts. Marzocchi makes suspension. There are many
> European tire makers.

But not many tires actually made in Europe. Most tires are made in the Far East. Tufo is an
exception, if you want tubulars you can't repair.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | This is my religion. There is no need for temples; no need for _`\(,_ | complicated
philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our (_)/ (_) | temple. The philosophy is kindness.
--The Dalai Lama

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

> On Thu, 01 May 2003 18:39:07 +0000, B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
>
> > DT-Swiss makes wheelgoods and suspension parts. Marzocchi makes suspension. There are many
> > European tire makers.
>
> But not many tires actually made in Europe. Most tires are made in the Far East. Tufo is an
> exception, if you want tubulars you can't repair.

The Continental in my hand says "Made in Germany" across the side of
it. My Hutchinsons and Michelins say "Made in France".

Barry

David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 May 2003 18:39:07 +0000, B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

>> DT-Swiss makes wheelgoods and suspension parts. Marzocchi makes suspension. There are many
>> European tire makers.

> But not many tires actually made in Europe. Most tires are made in the Far East. Tufo is an
> exception, if you want tubulars you can't repair.

At least my Michelin road tyres are "Made in France" and Continentals "Made in Germany". I also have
Nokian winter tyres made in Finland. In addition to those three, at least Veloflex racing clinchers
are made in Italy.

-as

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>> Some companies with lots of non-Far East, but not American, components include:
>
> Why are European companies superior to Asian companies?

Who says? Shimano and Campagnolo both build quality parts that last a long time. I have a problem
with Shimano's "throw it away, don't fix it" mentality, but there are ways around that. Having a
Dremel tool helps. A part built to JIS will work as well as one built to DIN.

You will not find “Made in America“ on anything low-end.

Cannondale makes their fames in PA, but they use Asian drivetrain and brakes. Their higher end
mountain bikes have German made brakes. Higher end Treks have American made frames. Most high-end
boutique manufacturers (Ellsworth, Kestrel, Santa Cruz, etc) are also made in the USA.

No matter how much you spend, your drive train will be imported.

-Dave

Not the Karl Orff <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<canwine-
> Other than Campagnolo, are there are European component makes other than for saddles, seat posts
> and handlebars?

Marzochi (Italy) Suspension (front) Magura (Germany) Brakes, Hubs, Suspension (f&r) DT Swiss
(uhhh...) Hubs, Spokes, Suspension (rear) Mavic (France) Rims Bergwerk (Germany) Frames Roox
(Austria) Cranksets, Headsets, Stems & Handlebars etc..

-Dave

=v= Bike Fridays are made in Eugene, Oregon, using least-toxic paints and finishes. Swift Folders
are made in Brooklyn with pretty much the same deal, but also with reused/recycled parts if you
request 'em. <_Jym_