Made In The Usa

gibill

Jun 27, 2015
I was told that Cannondale bikes are made in the USA......but I heard that the frames are made in china?........can anybody give me the scoop on this?

All Cannondales are no longer Cannondales but just a decal now, Dorel industries (the company that brings you Walmart quality bikes) bought the rights to the name and had production moved to Taiwan.

gibill said:
thanks for the input.......wow, things are not what they used to be!
No there not, the biggest problem is that Dorel has a history of taking a storied name, like Schwinn, Ironhorse, and Mongoose that were the darlings of LBS's and Dorel promised in writing to all LBS's carrying those brands that they would keep those quality bikes and not junk bikes, but Dorel slowly made them into Walmart bikes and LBS's were severely disappointed and were left scrambling to find a quality bike to sell. So time will tell if Cannondale becomes either a Walmart bike or Dicks Sporting Goods bike, or remain LBS offerings.

Dorel also owns the rights to the name GT, yup, now just a decal, but Dorel has kept GT has a high level bike, so since Dorel has a high level bike and a couple of low end Walmart type brands perhaps Cannondale will fill in the void at mass chain sporting stores (like Dicks) who sell the most amount of bikes of any type of store in the US, that would really pump up sales volume for Dorel. For right now Cannondales are unchanged from when they use to be Cannondale other than made in Taiwan.

I am sure you do Bob. That and a case of explosive diarrhea.

Cannondale frames are made in Taiwan by Giant, as are most of Trek's frames. Each company submits their design specs to Giant. Giant builds them to those specs.

Cannondale is also organized under a different division of Dorel than GT, Schwinn, Mongoose, and Pacific. Dorel seems committed to maintaining it as a flagship brand available only at local bike shops. You can't order a Cannondale online, for example. It also has its own management.

I wouldn't worry about it becoming a box store brand anytime soon.

Also, Schwinn has two separate product lines. Its better bikes are sold only at local shops. Its "bike shaped objects" are sold in box stores.

Cannondale frames are made in Taiwan by Giant, as are most of Trek's frames. Each company submits their design specs to Giant. Giant builds them to those specs.

mpres53, can you share your source for this info? I'd like to read more details if available.

Since 2010, all of Cannondale's road frames have been built at the huge Giant facility in Taichung, Taiwan. At least the carbon, and CAAD 10 frames. The CAAD 8 frames may be made in mainland China. I don't have a link, but it's something that's pretty well known in the industry.

Specialized's better frames are made in Taiwan by Merida, which also owns 49% of Specialized. So you can argue that Specialized does build its own frames. :D

Is anything still made in American these days? I don't think so. Very few if any. We have out priced ourselves into this predicament and everything made in foreign countries.

joshposh said:
Is anything still made in American these days? I don't think so. Very few if any. We have out priced ourselves into this predicament and everything made in foreign countries.
Parlee. Treks of 6- and 7-level carbon. Greenfield kickstands. Thule racks. They're out there.

oldbobcat said:
Parlee. Treks of 6- and 7-level carbon. Greenfield kickstands. Thule racks. They're out there.
Unfortunately, I think it's only the 700 series carbon now, for Trek. The Domane 6 series is made in Taiwan. :(

There is a lot of stuff made in America, much more stuff is not, but depending on what you need you could find an American manufacture doing it here.
A lot of titanium frames are built here along with custom built steel bikes; there are even some components made here like King, White Industries, Phil Woods, Zipp, Edge, Paul, Thompson, Zinn, Bontrager, HED, Cane Creek, Chris King, Wheelsmith, Ciamillo, Speedplay, Cycle Dynamics, Zero Gravity, Enve, not to mention various accessories and clothing. All of those companies either make all their stuff here in America or some of it here.

So tell us what you want.

I know some of you might be economic nationalists and want it made in the same country you live in.
Not everyone feels the same way, lots of great products are not made in the USA.
Canadians and British make a pretty damn good bike too!

BikeBikeBikeBike said:
I know some of you might be economic nationalists and want it made in the same country you live in.
Not everyone feels the same way, lots of great products are not made in the USA.
Canadians and British make a pretty damn good bike too!
Correct you are, we're not slamming 99% of the countries in the world either, what we are saying that if possible, which isn't always possible, to buy products made in America to support jobs here, just spending an additional $4 on US made products could create 10,000 jobs here, if every builder used just 5% more US made products it would create 220,000 jobs, this goes on and on, plus the creation of jobs creates more tax dollars. Supporting a job in Canada and England doesn't do a thing for a person working here making the same product, buying a product made in the US recycles those dollars. And you should be doing the same thing, buying mostly products made in Canada and Britain for the same support reasons I listed for buying made in America products.

Not everything made in America is high quality, but today due to electronics all cars suck but some American cars are worse than sucky, Frigidaire appliances are horrid appliances.

Mostly I try to buy American whenever possible, and I try to stay away from Chinese made products whenever possible.

There are Honda cars being sold with more American materials/content and by American workers than some Ford/GM/Shysler-FIAT vehicles.

We can still buy custom fabricated frames and some production frames from American builders. The price may be higher, but the customer service people probably speak Engrish.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike