Made my own bike frame, need gruppo recommendations...

Andy Grow

Jul 14, 2004
Hi everyone. I'm new here, so be gentle! I'm active duty U.S. Coast Guard, currently stationed on Kodiak, Alaska. Next year we head back to the lower-48, and I can get back into road biking seriously again!

A few years ago I had an Italian framebuilder in Cleveland, Ohio (Joe Bringheli) teach me how to make steel lugged bike frames. When all was said and done, I ended up with a nice frame of my own (built by Joe and myself). I had it painted, and that's the last I did with it.

I have a new set of Campy downtube shifters (don't recall which ones though, it's been awhile since I fooled around with roadbikes). Just wondering how you would set this bike up if it were yours?

Thank you!

Nice bike.
I'd be going with some sort of campagnolo. Don't think I'd go down tube shifters though.

I'll be going with downtube shifters for sure. I like the "old style" if you will...that's why I went with a lugged, brazed frame. I even brazed the downtube shifter mounts myself.

Ok -- no recommendation on the gruppo (look for a vintage Record set on Ebay, maybe) -- but nice friggin' job. Really great!

Andy Grow said:
I have a new set of Campy downtube shifters (don't recall which ones though, it's been awhile since I fooled around with roadbikes). Just wondering how you would set this bike up if it were yours?
I suppose it would be a good idea to figure out what speed (assuming they are not friction)the shifters are and then go from there.

Andy Grow said:
Hi everyone. I'm new here, so be gentle! I'm active duty U.S. Coast Guard, currently stationed on Kodiak, Alaska. Next year we head back to the lower-48, and I can get back into road biking seriously again!

A few years ago I had an Italian framebuilder in Cleveland, Ohio (Joe Bringheli) teach me how to make steel lugged bike frames. When all was said and done, I ended up with a nice frame of my own (built by Joe and myself). I had it painted, and that's the last I did with it.

Thank you!

Nice job on the frame. Really nice! As far as what to use to build it up; I'd say you'd be more capable of making that choice yourself. Nice job! :D

Wow very nice. What an opportunity to learn how to do such a thing!

If you are happy with the downshifters, which are really the 'older' style or not in fashion, then you might be able to get some new old stock stuff from bike shops from one of several different brands; ie not just Shimano/Campy. Good luck though the frame is lovely. Couldn't you make your own gears?!

Thanks for all the compliments. It was a lot of fun working with Joe on building this frame - and a lot of (literal) blood and sweat! Got more than a few deep cuts on the fingers while filing down the tubes.

Anyhow, I found some old Campy stuff that my dad had given me awhile ago off his old Schwinn Paramount, I think I might use that. I can't wait till next year when I can get the back rideable - I built it in 1999, had it painted in 2000, and have never ridden it!