'Made up for cycling'

roger89

May 29, 2005
Hello,

Just wanna ask, how many year of training then will our bodies really show that our genes are 'made up for cycling'? Or simply, how do u see it?

TQ...

There are many indicators; some genetic, some environmental, and some mental. Are you generally lean? Were you a good runner when you were a kid? Were you fast for short distances, or did you have long distance endurance? Are you competitive in things you do, or are you lazy and passive? Very simply, do you like participating in active sports?

Unless you're hopelessly sedentary and obese, try riding and getting into reasonable shape. Find a group to ride with. It'll take a few years to get good, and then four or five years of racing to reach your potential. I've seen racers with average ability do very well just by being tenacious and willing to die 50 times in a race.

Have fun...go fast.

If you want to know right now, get a blood test. They are not the be-all and end-all but it will give you a good idea where you stand. You could also get a bike and turn up for a race. Apparently, Magnus B became Nat. TT champ in his 3rd or 4th race.

As an aside, being made for cycling is one thing but, with hard work people can go pro. I am not saying every one is willing to do the work, or that you can win the tour, but check out this guy http://www.toddherriott.com/

Todd went pro at 30+.

Just ride and don't worry about it.

Quote:

"If you're new to the sport with less than three years of racing, your results may not tell you much about your ability and potential. In the first three years there are a lot of changes happening at the cellular level - changes that will eventually revel a rider's ability ..."

"THE CYCLIST'S TRAINING BIBLE"
by JOE FRIEL

I strongly recommend this book.