madone 5.2 or orca ultegra

MMA93

Nov 15, 2007
I am debating to buy a new madone 5.2 or a 2007 Orbea Orca Ultegra. They both have about the same level components and priced relatively the same. Comments are welcome from anybody who has ridden either.

I have a 2006 Madone 5.2 and I love it. I rode the new one and it's great too, but I couldn't justify the extra cash. The paint job looks better and the new frame design is sharp. Trek warranties their products well and their carbon frames aren't lugged like Cervelo or Bainchi. I haven't had anything wrong with mine, but I know my LBS has a great rep from Trek who takes care of any problems, no questions asked.

swarden222 said:
I have a 2006 Madone 5.2 and I love it. I rode the new one and it's great too, but I couldn't justify the extra cash. The paint job looks better and the new frame design is sharp. Trek warranties their products well and their carbon frames aren't lugged like Cervelo or Bainchi. I haven't had anything wrong with mine, but I know my LBS has a great rep from Trek who takes care of any problems, no questions asked.

Pretty sure Treks are lugged, just can't see the lugs with all the body putty to make the seams smooth. BUT lugging on a carbon bike is just one of 3 ways to glue the thing together. Not bad, not good, just different.

For the OP, gets the one that fits the best, 'feels' the best when ridden and comes from the best bike shop in terms of service after the sale.

Peter@vecchios said:
Pretty sure Treks are lugged, just can't see the lugs with all the body putty to make the seams smooth. BUT lugging on a carbon bike is just one of 3 ways to glue the thing together. Not bad, not good, just different.

For the OP, gets the one that fits the best, 'feels' the best when ridden and comes from the best bike shop in terms of service after the sale.
+1. Too many buyers get caught up in marketing hype about design features that really make zero difference, or at best can't be evaluated by the customer. As you've said, fit, feel and service after the sale are what's important.

You are correct in that the fit and service are the most important. I would just like to add that I've seen a number of cervelo frames separate at the lugs and paint crack around the lugs.

I bought a new bike last fall after almost becoming paralysed by choice. There are so many choices, and so many opinions, I eventually decided it was pointless to listen to anyone.

I decided that all bikes in my price range are quality made and pretty much the same, and I ended up buying the one I liked best. Suggest you do the same.

swarden222 said:
You are correct in that the fit and service are the most important. I would just like to add that I've seen a number of cervelo frames separate at the lugs and paint crack around the lugs.

Not the basic design of lugs using carbon is poor but like most bike frames that fail from JRA, poorly executed design.