Madone vs. TCR Comp

chris_gr

Sep 26, 2003
The is a frame only question. I am considering getting a new bike and doing a component swap with my campy gear from my current bike. Anyway, does anyone have an opinion re: the Madone and TCR Comp. Both seem to have solid race creds but is there any thing else to note?. My current plan is just to ride both and see which one feels right as I expect the are both top notch frames.

chris_gr said:
The is a frame only question. I am considering getting a new bike and doing a component swap with my campy gear from my current bike. Anyway, does anyone have an opinion re: the Madone and TCR Comp. Both seem to have solid race creds but is there any thing else to note?. My current plan is just to ride both and see which one feels right as I expect the are both top notch frames.
Nah, nothing special to note. If you've narrowed it down this far, you're already on the proper track. It's now all about paint scheme, price, and of course, what your test fittings and test rides yield. Personally, I'd go for the TCR, but that's as subjective a thought as they come.

I just happen to like the feel of the TCR line.

That's easy...the enticing pedigree of the Madone. Have you compared the econmics of each?
Can't go wrong with either but that is my choice.
George

I used to ride a TCR, but could never get the thing to fit the way I like. It seems like a frame for people with short legs and long torsos. I prefer my Trek with the traditional frame sizing by far.

chris_gr said:

chris_gr said:
As has been inferred, I'd take a look at the geometries and also try to ride both (even if with different components) to try to gain familiarity with the road feel; as I notice a big difference between the two. I personally have never really cared for the feel of the OCLV line; but that's very subjective. (after all I mainly prefer Ti/steel so what do I know? ;) )

Two fairly different frame geometries, why do these end up in the final two? I'd take some serious rides on each and figure out which fits best and will be most comfortable for you (as the other posters mention), and maybe even compare amongst similar frames once you choose between these two (i.e. the TCR composite is similar to specialized's Tarmac for one). I'd also lean away from the Trek for purely personal preferance for the less-commonplace, non-behemoth makes (that said Giant is nearly as ubiquitous)...no arguing both are great bikes and good values. I suppose I just made the case that this is a personal thing (amongst similarly capable bikes in a similar price range) and at the end of the day, you just need to buy whichever's most exciting to you.

Yeah, why not try other bikes like the specialized tarmac? My preferrence would be the madone but thats just me. :cool: