Madonna Calls For Troop Withdrawal

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
The latest news is that Madonna has spoken out again against the war in Iraq. Here is what is reported on the link below:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3998373.stm

"US pop star Madonna has said the United States should withdraw its troops from Iraq immediately. She told BBC Radio 2's Jeremy Vine Show: "I just don't want American troops to be in Iraq, period."
Madonna, who is now based in the UK, caused controversy last year with her video for song American Life which some critics called "anti-Bush".
She withdrew the video as the Iraq war broke out, later blaming a feeling of "lynch-mob patriotism" in the US.
The singer, who has recently completed a world tour, told the programme: "My feelings are 'can we just all get out?"'

The question: Do you think this will damage her in the U.S.A. Or does the intervention of celebrities cause people to question political events?

Carrera said:
The latest news is that Madonna has spoken out again against the war in Iraq. Here is what is reported on the link below:

"US pop star Madonna has said the United States should withdraw its troops from Iraq immediately. She told BBC Radio 2's Jeremy Vine Show: "I just don't want American troops to be in Iraq, period."
Madonna, who is now based in the UK, caused controversy last year with her video for song American Life which some critics called "anti-Bush".
She withdrew the video as the Iraq war broke out, later blaming a feeling of "lynch-mob patriotism" in the US.
The singer, who has recently completed a world tour, told the programme: "My feelings are 'can we just all get out?"'

The question: Do you think this will damage her in the U.S.A. Or does the intervention of celebrities cause people to question political events?

To make myself clear this is not a commentary on the war just on celebrities.
I feel very strongly about celebrities using their influence in the political arena. I do not believe they are qualified to make judgement in most cases. No more than the non-celebrity.
That is to say whether I agree with them or not they should stay the in line as any other individual.
Of course I perceive that if we choose to believe they are omnipotent and wise just because they are famous then we as a society need to re-examine our values and judgement.
If they wish to be influential then they can run for governor of California as any good respectible entertainer/politician would do.

Most celebrities are not compltete idiots. Some parts are missing or have been replaced.

Carrera said:

although pleasing to the eye...She is an idiot so, I don't see any problems here..business as usual...

Just to show that even the left and right can agree on something: I also think Madonna is an idiot. I wish all of these celebrities would shut up.

People like Sean Penn, Madonna and Rosie O'donnell etc. have no credibility and they only hurt the cause they are supporting.

As far as Madonna's reputation in the U.S., that was severely damaged years ago. I think most Americans are probably glad she is in the UK now.

Saucy said:
Just to show that even the left and right can agree on something: I also think Madonna is an idiot. I wish all of these celebrities would shut up.

People like Sean Penn, Madonna and Rosie O'donnell etc. have no credibility and they only hurt the cause they are supporting.

As far as Madonna's reputation in the U.S., that was severely damaged years ago. I think most Americans are probably glad she is in the UK now.

Whether you like her music or not. She's as smart a business women. I reckon she'd do a lot better job balancing the US's books than that G W ( i-can-barely-string-a-simple-sentence-together) Bush.

Carrera said:
She is a dried up old haggard witch.

I try my level best to ignore at all times what pop/film stars say when they try to get into politics.

The only one who spoke any sense was Geldof. I think the Yanks care dearly for what thier celebrities say and hang on every word. Celebrities were called into the recent elections in order to infuence votes, and it worked.

She doesnt get my juices flowing I'm afraid, but whatever works for you then great. I personally will continue not to purchase her records/concert tickets despite her new found conscience.

rule62 said:
Yeah well I want those 2 hours back for Evita.

Didn't see it but I think 15 min. would have done me in but there again I am not culturally adept.
Maybe they will make it into a comic book series or cartoon so I can ingnore it in another media form.

jhuskey said:
Maybe they will make it into a comic book series or cartoon so I can ingnore it in another media form.
yes, the more we ignore this woman the better, not content with assaulting my ear drums with her horrid music she now sees fit to bleat on about something she knows fcuk all about...

it would be a dire world where someone actually took her seriously, either as a minger-singer, actress, **** star or political commentator.

who are madonna fans? gay middle aged over weight men, and teen girls...not people who's opinion on world politics is worth very much.

MountainPro said:
who are madonna fans? gay middle aged over weight men, and teen girls...not people who's opinion on world politics is worth very much.

Uh, I think you stepped on somebodies toes there... :D

fixit said:
Uh, I think you stepped on somebodies toes there... :D
yeah, i dont know which caterogy best describes marion there...

no offence intended to any other fat old gay men.

That well know political analyst, Madonna, has spoken !

Like a lot of Americans - she's probably unable to locate Iraq on a map.

She's trying to curry favour me thinks.

Jack Straw ought to deport her back to the USA of Bush.

limerickman said:
That well know political analyst, Madonna, has spoken !

Like a lot of Americans - she's probably unable to locate Iraq on a map.

She's trying to curry favour me thinks.

Jack Straw ought to deport her back to the USA of Bush.

Then we definitely need to tighten up on import/export issues. What are the rules on the export of pure ****.

Like a virgin! Yeah, right!

Carrera said:
Do you think this will damage her in the U.S.A.
It might turn off those who are stupid enough to care what she, or any other celebrity, thinks about world politics.

Carrera said:
Or does the intervention of celebrities cause people to question political events?
I could care less what any celebrity thinks about worldly issues. I leave the political thinking up to myself, and my entertainment up to the celebrities.

jhuskey said:
Then we definitely need to tighten up on import/export issues. What are the rules on the export of pure ****.

Like a virgin! Yeah, right!

Please take her back ! - I'll pay the duty meself !

Pretty please ...................

pomod said:
Whether you like her music or not. She's as smart a business women. I reckon she'd do a lot better job balancing the US's books than that G W ( i-can-barely-string-a-simple-sentence-together) Bush.
I think that she did bloody good concerts, and she should go and do one in the centre of Fallujah immediately, if not sooner.

Heavens, I'm a Madonna fan and I'm neither gay nor overweight. I'm a cyclist, in fact (same as Madonna who rides her bike).
Come on, she was a legend. She made some great tracks and who can forget "Holiday!"

MountainPro said:
yes, the more we ignore this woman the better, not content with assaulting my ear drums with her horrid music she now sees fit to bleat on about something she knows fcuk all about...

it would be a dire world where someone actually took her seriously, either as a minger-singer, actress, **** star or political commentator.

As a Madonna fan I'd say her best L.P. was Ray Of Light but I also like the track Justify My Love and especially the video that comes with it.

As for Madonna's anti-war stance, I think she was initially very nervous of causing offence over her original video - which she cancelled in the end. However, had she not cancelled the video, her views would have been justified, I think, (from the liberal side of things). I mean, people have had their family members wounded or even killed in Bush's war (something that simply wasn't acknowledged at the time when everyone said the war would be a push-over). It did casue a lot of suffering.

You have to bear in mind that Madge is married to a British guy and they both have an genuine anti-war view. I read Madge's interview in a magazine over the Bush Administration and she didn't project the slightest idea of being a bimbo who had no idea what she was talking about. And she has more to lose than gain by expressing an opinion that might upset a lot of people or even fans.

Incidentally, I can think of one very liberal, left-wing singer who might have gotten the liberal message across better than Madge but he's too old to be relevant now. I refer to the former Rock gospel singer Larry Norman who knows his bible much better than George Bush.

But come on! Let's here from those cyclists who dare to confess they're also fans of Madonna's music and likewise recall those good old boogie years when she was in fashion (with Startsky and Hutch). I well recall dancing to "Holiday" and the rap that followed it later on.

Carrera said:
Heavens, I'm a Madonna fan and I'm neither gay nor overweight. I'm a cyclist, in fact (same as Madonna who rides her bike).
Come on, she was a legend. She made some great tracks and who can forget "Holiday!"

I forgot it.

fixit said:
I forgot it.
Come on, she's made millions of people happy and never killed anyone. She obviously worked hard in putting her shows together in different formats. That's why she lives in England. To get away from the ******** in the United? States of 'merrca. All she said was 'pack it in'.