Mag or fluid trainers?

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Compton wrote:
> > While not heavy in the above context, what is described as a heavy flywheel on a trainer does
> > give a much better feel to the device. A heavier flywheel "takes the edge off" the too-fast
> > pedal acceleration. Is it a perfect? No. Is it much better? Oh, yes.
>
> Tom, I'd agree, as I think I said above, that a flywheel does change the feel. What I said is that
> the 6-lb flywheel on a Kurt Kinetic doesn't make a critical difference in training. My Tacx Flow
> doesn't have realistic road feel and I'm not sure it makes much of a training difference.

I have wondered about what the training difference could be. Range of motion is the same. Nominal
cadence is the same. Wattage is the same. Yet the acceleration within a pedal stroke is very
different, by maybe more than an order of magnitude. I think the "load" on the body may be the same,
but the process within the muscle would seem to have to be very different.

> Yes, exactly, and that's why that page that AlmostFast put up is so handy, regardless of how
> realistic the curves are, such as the bizarrely unrealistic CycleOps Magneto. BTW, I know you
> supplied some of the data for that page, including the Kurt Kinetic models: how did you
> standardize the tire-roller interface when you collected your measurements? And did you ever
> figure out why you got different curves on different trials?

Tire-roller interface was 2.5 turns of the adjuster knob after contact with tire inflated to
recommended pressure. I only supplied one set of data. The other set was from the author of the
site. Don't know what caused the difference.