mag trainer eating my tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by M2cycler, Dec 8, 2003.

1. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

Maxxis Xenith is a soft race tyre AFAIK. Definitely not going to last in a trainer. I use Conti Ultrasports for my trainer - it's the one that Continental recommends from their range for trainers. Its got a nice hard rubber compound. You definitely won't want to race on it, but its great as a training tyre.

2. PixelPusher

PixelPusher New Member

How's the rim drive trainer holding up? Any noticeable wear on your rims?

3. Jim R

Jim R New Member

I have a rim drive trainer and have never had any problems with wear or slippage. I would never buy a trainer without the rim drive anymore.

4. malcomm

malcomm New Member

No wear at all. The drive is by big rubber wheels so there shouldn't be any rim wear. Maybe chew the drive wheels out eventually though but no visable wear there either.

5. afroboy

afroboy New Member

I use a mag "Rim" trainer which creates its resistance off your brake rim to avoid chewin thru the tyres. Manoura make a number of these models. You do have to change the little wheel rubbers on the trainer but these are a hard compound and havent had to change mine yet.
    Cheers

6. mrowkoob

mrowkoob New Member

7. Johnny O-R

Johnny O-R New Member

I put a couple of layers of electrical tape over the tyre - one per hour on the trainer - and this seems to keep the wear down also.

8. zewol

zewol New Member

Dunno if that's been suggested before but Continental as just released a new tire made entirely for indoor training, and at just 20$ can its not much of a burden to get one!...I saw released because I saw it at the Toronto bike show so maybe its not in your LBS but it'll be soon

9. NSM3

NSM3 New Member

I switched from a Minoura 500 to a 1200 last night and the instructions for the 1200 cover this subject of tyre wear.

They recommend that tyre deflection/compression should be no more than 3mm to prevent excessive tyre wear and trainer overheating - sounds feasible?