"Mag" Wheels?

bajafx4

Sep 1, 2005
I'm just getting into MTB riding. I bought a Mongoose Wing Comp a few months ago as a starter bike and have been enjoying it very much.

Yesterday I was riding through a construction site, riding in and out of partially built houses. I managed to slice my tire and tube open and slightly bent my wheel. I just ordered some Specialized tires and tubes, but would also like to get two new wheels.

It was probably around 1991 when I had a BMX style GT Performer with "mag" wheels. Are these "mag" style wheels currently available in MTB sizes? I really like the way they look. What are the advantages/disadvantages to having them?

I found these on ebay. How do I know if they'll fit my bike?

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Spoke-Front-Rear-ALLOY-Mag-Wheels-QR-Skewer-MTB-BMX_W0QQitemZ7179240332QQcategoryZ58089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for your help.

The seller claims that the mag wheels are lighter than "normal" MTB wheels, but what does normal mean? The seller also says a 7 speed cassette will fit, but what about a typical 8 or 9 speed cassette? What type of hubs do the wheels have, and are they rebuildable with readily available parts? Last but not least, how will you true the mag wheel if you happen to tweak it again? No spokes = no adjustment.

Personally, I would not make that purchase.