Magnesium frames and parts

Phill P

Jul 9, 2006
Where are all the magnesium frames and bike parts??

For those who don't know, magnesium alloys have a lower density than Al, but similar mechanical properties. So you can put more material in a frame to make it stiffer or stronger with out weight penelty. The bonus is Magnesium does not transmit vibration as much as Al, but the down side is corrsion.

However Pinarello do thier dogma frames with a magnesium front triangle, and thier frames are meant to be stiff as and very comfortable. If the anti corrosion surface treatments don't work, then Pinarello wouldn't live with failed frames and hurt their Italian reputation.
Merida used to make Mg frames but stopped (why??), my LBS said he loved his Mg framed Moutain bike.
Mg is used in the lower legs of almost all mountain bike front suspension forks. But why haven't things such as stems also been made from Mg??

It seems to be a better material than Al.......but why isn't it out there more?

Phill P said:
But why haven't things such as stems also been made from Mg?
Easton used to, maybe still does, make stems out of magnesium. Surface corrosion would sometimes make them look like ****.

I think what stopped adoption of magnesium was the fear among frame makers that smokers would accidently set their bikes on fire. ;)

Phill P said:
But why haven't things such as stems also been made from Mg??

It seems to be a better material than Al.......but why isn't it out there more?

Easton made a Mg stem which I owned one of. Really nice looking, ultra lightweight. After a season it corroded very heavily around the threads in the face plate. Not just a little ugly surface corrosion, really deep pitting. I retired it figuring at least one of the threads would eventually fail.

There is a big difference between a full Mg component and an alloy.

--bret