Magnesium Frames

Onk

Aug 4, 2004
Anyone heard of it before? I was just looking for opinions on its qualities compared to other materials such as aluminium, titanium etc.

Onk said:
Anyone heard of it before? I was just looking for opinions on its qualities compared to other materials such as aluminium, titanium etc.
They're definitely out there, though only the tiniest handful of companies have really invested in the technology (Paketa is the only magnesium-dedicated frame builder I know of). With so few on the road, and so little long-term, objective experiences to build off of, it's hard to know what to make of them; the buzz (or hype -- anyone's guess) is that they're a super-soft, super-light ride. Without better info, the word is standard wonder material chatter (as comfy as Ti, as stiff as aluminum, yadda yadda). Could be an einsteinian revelation for cycling; could go the way of Mavic Zap shifters. Who knows...

But there's also a lot of speculation about magnesium being a bit too corrosion-prone to make a tough, long-lasting bike.

There's a thread on Paketa frames somewhere in the archives. It started and ended well, but there's about 6 pages of **** in the middle (a ludicrous argument arose over the comments of one very dopey, very angry guy). When it was going well, a guy who appeared to be a Paketa employee signed on, and had some interesting insights.

lokstah said:
They're definitely out there, though only the tiniest handful of companies have really invested in the technology (Paketa is the only magnesium-dedicated frame builder I know of). With so few on the road, and so little long-term, objective experiences to build off of, it's hard to know what to make of them; the buzz (or hype -- anyone's guess) is that they're a super-soft, super-light ride. Without better info, the word is standard wonder material chatter (as comfy as Ti, as stiff as aluminum, yadda yadda). Could be an einsteinian revelation for cycling; could go the way of Mavic Zap shifters. Who knows...

But there's also a lot of speculation about magnesium being a bit too corrosion-prone to make a tough, long-lasting bike.

There's a thread on Paketa frames somewhere in the archives. It started and ended well, but there's about 6 pages of **** in the middle (a ludicrous argument arose over the comments of one very dopey, very angry guy). When it was going well, a guy who appeared to be a Paketa employee signed on, and had some interesting insights.
thx for your reply, but if possible do you think you can give me a link to that thread?

lokstah said:

I think Merida also have some top quality magnesium bikes. Very light!!

I ordered a magnesium frame early this year straight from a manufacturer in Russia called Litech, the tubes are extruded Mg and then welded. (Paketa, fyi get their frames from them, I am not going to get more into this again ..), the ordering process was worse than a rooth canal procedure. I have put about 1500 km on it and it rides very well. I not going to make any bs comment about how amazing they are .. that's for marketing people. Half of mech properties come from the material, the other from the design-geometry..

But the BB is very stiffy, it dampened road vib once I am in a tt, it is very light 2.6 lbs for a 54 cm (without the fork) .. and am very satisfied ..

Corrosion is a concern, but only time will tell

little_chicken said:
I ordered a magnesium frame early this year straight from a manufacturer in Russia called Litech, the tubes are extruded Mg and then welded. (Paketa, fyi get their frames from them, I am not going to get more into this again ..), the ordering process was worse than a rooth canal procedure. I have put about 1500 km on it and it rides very well. I not going to make any bs comment about how amazing they are .. that's for marketing people. Half of mech properties come from the material, the other from the design-geometry..

But the BB is very stiffy, it dampened road vib once I am in a tt, it is very light 2.6 lbs for a 54 cm (without the fork) .. and am very satisfied ..

Corrosion is a concern, but only time will tell

Can someone enlighten me on the corrosion issues of magnesium frames.

Thanks

Pete

boudreaux said:
Do a google search.
Corrosion was definately a huge issue for casted Mg frames .. but extruded tubes welded and coated .. ?? but with tube thickness varying btw 1.5 and 2.6 mm I should be OK for at least 2 yrs .. Time will tell