Magnetic Trainers

theresa123 said:
Do someone please have a training program for indoor training?
I have two of the Spinervals DVD's (Hills; Recovery) and one of the CTS DVD's (Time Trials). These are really excellent workouts. I used to hate the idea of training indoors, but I know every time I do one of these, I'm not just doing saddle time, I'm improving.

B.

My Minoura MagTurbo doesn't lock in the front. I use a CycleOps riser block for the front tire. Does anyone know if you can ruin your frame by riding your bike on a trainer, or, is there an inappropriate way to ride on a hub-mounted trainer?

I am hearing from some cyclers that magnetic trainers do not simulate real bikes close enough and that fluid trainers and wind trainers are better. Is this true should I dump my magnetic trainer even though it seems to be giving me a great workout?

wiredued said:
I am hearing from some cyclers that magnetic trainers do not simulate real bikes close enough and that fluid trainers and wind trainers are better. Is this true should I dump my magnetic trainer even though it seems to be giving me a great workout?

I have a Cateye Cyclosimulator with the removable fan and magnetic resistance. I like it a world better that a wind trainer. I use a old chrom moly frame on it and try to shoot for about 450 watts and 600 calories in 20 minutes.It is not the road but beats sitting in my butt.
I never had a fluid trainer.

Hey I think my Proform from Sears was a good deal too I connect it to www.ifit.com and choose Interval 59. I think one of our machines must need calibration though because Interval 59 goes for 50 minutes and burns only 687 calories and it is a tough workout (at least I think it is). Either that or your a triathlete maybe. I don't trust the watts reading on my machine it seems to be directly related to my cadence without considering resistance. But the calories is matching up close with what the website says it should burn I did 644 calories because I don't actually maintain 18 miles per hour at a cadence of 90 on the intervals with the highest resistance of 10 maybe some day.

jhuskey said:
I have a Cateye Cyclosimulator with the removable fan and magnetic resistance. I like it a world better that a wind trainer. I use a old chrom moly frame on it and try to shoot for about 450 watts and 600 calories in 20 minutes.It is not the road but beats sitting in my butt.
I never had a fluid trainer.

wiredued said:
Hey I think my Proform from Sears was a good deal too I connect it to www.ifit.com and choose Interval 59. I think one of our machines must need calibration though because Interval 59 goes for 50 minutes and burns only 687 calories and it is a tough workout (at least I think it is). Either that or your a triathlete maybe. I don't trust the watts reading on my machine it seems to be directly related to my cadence without considering resistance. But the calories is matching up close with what the website says it should burn I did 644 calories because I don't actually maintain 18 miles per hour at a cadence of 90 on the intervals with the highest resistance of 10 maybe some day.

Couldn't swear to the calabration but I average about 20 mph + at said reading (600 calories or so) for usually 20 minutes and can go,when I feel strong, at 23 mph average with higher calories burned readings for say 30 minutes at an average level 4 setting.
I don't think I can maintain it for 50 minutes at that cadence level. Not without passing out, that is.

wiredued said:
I'm not sure how much like the road my magnetic trainer is....But, I use it to keep my HR at the rates that are called for during training DVD's. And, because the the ride on the trainer is easier to control than a road ride, I think HR-based training is infinitely better on the trainer. It's so focused and concise.
I wouldn't dump your trainer at all. Use it to keep and maintain your targeted HR or power outputs, and watch your fitness increase by leaps and bounds...

wiredued said:
The best fluid trainers* have a large flywheel to better simulate road dynamics. They cost a bit more but once you've tried one you will forget all about the extra cost.

* my opinion, do some research and decide for yourself

rollers said:
The best fluid trainers* have a large flywheel to better simulate road dynamics. They cost a bit more but once you've tried one you will forget all about the extra cost.

* my opinion, do some research and decide for yourself

This is slightly off the subject but if you ever doubt the effectiveness of a trainer read up on a Swiss gentleman named Nuttli. He was far from an athlete but gained sponsorship from a grassroots letter writing campaign and trained on an indoor trainer for two years.
Although his training regime was far beyond what I would endure(several hours a day) he became a fierce time trialist in two years,joined the Phonak team and won several races.
He never became good enough as a climber to be a top contender but I find it amazing that a non-athlete could achieve such glory from just using a trainer.
So if you are as me sweating on a trainer this time of the year, do not under estimate the benefits.
Of course as in all training it depends on the goals and the dedication of the individual.

jhuskey said:
This is slightly off the subject but if you ever doubt the effectiveness of a trainer read up on a Swiss gentleman named Nuttli. He was far from an athlete but gained sponsorship from a grassroots letter writing campaign and trained on an indoor trainer for two years.
Although his training regime was far beyond what I would endure(several hours a day) he became a fierce time trialist in two years,joined the Phonak team and won several races.
He never became good enough as a climber to be a top contender but I find it amazing that a non-athlete could achieve such glory from just using a trainer.
So if you are as me sweating on a trainer this time of the year, do not under estimate the benefits.
Of course as in all training it depends on the goals and the dedication of the individual.
That is nothing short of awesome. Thank you for posting that. It puts these winter sessions in new light.

What exactly is the difference in a magnetic trainer and a fluid trainer? How do the two work different? Which one would be best to buy for someone who currently does indoor training at the gym on one of those silly spinning bikes?

From what I've learned fluid trainers simulate the road resistance more closely by increasing as cadence increases. But if all you need is a good cardio workout any bike that brings your heart rate up to 85% and keeps it there for atleast 17 minutes is fine.

Steve P said:
What exactly is the difference in a magnetic trainer and a fluid trainer? How do the two work different? Which one would be best to buy for someone who currently does indoor training at the gym on one of those silly spinning bikes?