Magpie Attacks

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Felice Scapin, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Felice Scapin

Felice Scapin New Member

Just to let everyone know of a simple solution that actually works on Magpie attack. Just cut up pieces of christmas tintsle and thread at the back of your helmet. Let it dangle about 6inches (15mm). It will stop them short from hitting you, this is from someone who is terrified of birds, and it works very well

Tags:

2. Skull

Skull New Member

I usually just let them do their attack on my helmet and laugh it off although I can see if you are not a bird liker, it might initially scare the pants off you.

Skull

3. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I have just found out what its like to be attacked by a magpie. I never had a problem in Adelaide, but here is Canberra they seem to be a bit more agressive. The foam at the back of my helmet has a number of places where their claws have made a impact.

4. miss claire

miss claire New Member

Wheni am under attack i put my sunglasses behind my head as its rare for them to attack head on.We are told every magpie season that doing that dosent work anymore,as they are getting wise,but i has worked for me

5. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I have never seen them coming and have only ever been struck on the helmet, at least while cycling.
    Has anyone actually copped a beakful anywhere else while cycling?

6. jur

jur New Member

Only on the helmet so far, but while not scary at all, I do find it annoying and it distracts me from concentrating on the traffic.

Does helmet color have any effect?

7. Wrightstuff

Wrightstuff New Member

It has mainly been on the helmet, but I have been nipped at the ears as well. Some large earphones may provide protection.

I just hate when they come back for a 2nd or 3rd go. The most number of times I have ever been hit on the helmet in one day has been 8 times (4 times each direction) by two different males. Gets very tedious I tell you.

8. mezzinator

mezzinator New Member

I've been chased by some Syndey Swans players and a West Coast Eagle once threw a rock at me but have never had any trouble from magpies.

;)

9. simpsonc

simpsonc New Member

I've been divebombed when on foot before, which isn't much of a problem. But yesterday, for the first time, I am proud to say I've now been attacked on the bike. It was pretty uncool I have to say.

First thing I noticed was a loud screech directly behind my head. Then some very sharp claws dug into my upper back, which hurt like hell and drew blood. I began the sprint whilst fending off 3 divebombs by waving my arm behind me when I saw him coming again, and eventually my little friend gave up when I reached about 50 km/h - from what I've heard, this speed and above makes it hard for them to strike with any force.

A letter in Bicycling Australia a few years back spoke about the critical speed to prevent divebombing occuring (helps if you know there's a cross magpie waiting for you) - above 50 seems to stop them leaping out of the tree.

So - to all Melbourne pedallists : this little fellow is waiting about 50 metres north of the start of the southern end of Station St in Carrum, and I imagine he might be there for a little while. I had just exited the Nepean Highway on my way back from Mt Eliza, crossed the traintracks, hung a left and just started pedalling when I made my new friend.

10. SEGFTG

SEGFTG New Member

I was hit three times a few weeks ago on high street road, wantirna, and have had a few close calls around the basin. It might sound strange but my primal instincts took hold, I yelled out loud like a animal and it seemed to scare the little bastards off.

11. jur

jur New Member

I have had it with the buggers, I am mounting something on my helmet, some fake eyes. Today the one bugger actually penetrated the helmet's shell.

12. Dancier

Dancier New Member

That magpie got me twice on Tuesday, on the way down to Portsea he dive bombed me and brushed his beek along my back. On the way back I looked around and could not see him but when I was not looking he got on the helmet.

That bird has become an expert at getting us cyclists, he probably works overtime and gets every cyclist passing by because I spoke to a few guys and they said they were hit as well.

13. flipper

flipper New Member

There's a nasty one near the cnr of Colchester Rd and Canterbury Rds in Kilsyth, just outside Spartan's Gym.
    As I was busy accelerating from a standing start at the traffic lights, he had enough time to hit me 5 times. The first hit sounded like someone clapping their hands just above my head... hell of a noise for a beak.
    :mad:

14. Borg

Borg New Member

Butcher birds are bad too. Their beaks are very sharp although they rarely make contact. I'd say they are as territorial as a Maggie but a hit won't make as much impact as they are smaller.

15. jur

jur New Member

I cop this bugger twice each day. It is doing visible damage to my helmet, there are numerous gouge marks in the softer polystyrene just above my left ear, if that bugger gets my ear itis likely to be quite bad... :mad: yesterday I mounted some fake eyes on my helmet just for this chap. Don't have tinsel at work. I will report back how effective this is.

16. Greenboy

Greenboy New Member

I had one draw blood from my left ear - got beneath the helmet - it was so painful I thought I hit a tree branch (then he got me for a second and a third time) - near the Newmarket pool in Briabane.

17. jur

jur New Member

The fake eyes helped, but not as much as I hoped. I thought they would pretty much stop the bird short, but it still swooped but at least no longer touched. Those eyes were pretty dorky, I will make them into smallish balls on the end of small stalks, like little martian antennae. :D

18. SEGFTG

SEGFTG New Member

I went out for a couple of hours yesterday with my new eyes... I think they did the trick as I had no swoops at all. I used some shiny black and silver stickers cut out about the size of a 50c piece and put a small circle of red in the middle, look pretty evil and highly visible. Hope that might be the end of my troubles

19. flipper

flipper New Member

LOL! I was thinking exactly the same thing :D

I tried stick on eyes yesterday but I think because it's hard to get them to really stand out, they didn't work. I got swooped 6 times by one between Eltham and Diamond Creek then again in Nutfield.
    SEGFTG's sound good, might have to raid the kids' sticker books for something a little more reflective.

Roll on November.

20. rayTerrace

rayTerrace New Member

There's a butcher bird that has a go at me - there's always a warning cry & then he clips my helmet. The bird is only active on a short section of street so I've started going around the block.

I regularly ride along the cooks river cycleway out to homebush & olympic park (Sydney NSW) - haven't had any encounters with magpies. From what I've read on this forum I'm lucky.