Magpie Attacks

There's one that has a go just as you come out of the city-bound end of the Burnt Bridge Creek cycle path at Balgowlah.

Last season I heard this CLACK! on my helmet and saw the bird looking back at me as it flew off for a second attempt. Harmless on this occasion I suppose, but it might put off others or possibly cause an accident. I saw it another two or three times but not again.

If it returns this season I might let the NWPS encourage the gene pool to lose this trait. :rolleyes:

l had a budgie slam in to my back once-poor thing l think it was lost and bewildered. :eek:
lm wondering if the bird flu will ever affect magpies! It will get scarier then! :eek:

cableties on the back and top of the helmet seem to work - they cant figure out how to get through the spikes. You only need 5 or 6.
You can also avoid the places they like - big old trees on roadsides in cleared farmland. They don't attack in forest from my experience. Also if there are lots of magpies about they wont attack usually.

My Mum got hit on the back of the shoulder yesterday on Tapleys Hill Road near the River Torrens. I also got buzzed along the old tram corridor that runs parallel to Anzac Hwy. I turned around and waved my arm in the air and shouted at him, which seemed to do the trick. :)

Ive been getting swooped for years and only just got my 1st brush on the helmet a few weeks back(didnt know they actually hit u). Best trick i use now is spray a bit of water at it so it doesnt hit, but only use this on the 1 magpie that hit so the others dont get more aggressive. Works a treat but only as a last resort, especially if ur thirsty and a long way from home.

j.r.hawkins said:
There's one that has a go just as you come out of the city-bound end of the Burnt Bridge Creek cycle path at Balgowlah.

Last season I heard this CLACK! on my helmet ...
Hmm spoke too soon - and I think he's moved. :cool:

Yesterday I was buzzed by one on the road between Millers Reserve and that new pre-school that I cut along on the way down from Allambie.

Man, the thing was persistent. It just kept coming - at least seven goes at me over a 150m stretch. There were cars around this time and it was REALLY distracting! :mad:

This morning I swished through there a little quicker and I wasn't sure whether the soft CRACK! sound I heard a couple of times was him or the straps flapping on my backpack. The sound was a little softer so if it was the maggie, he wasn't buzzing me as close as yesterday.

We have some nasty buggers in Bathurst. I have many fantasies on how to get maggies away when they swoop. I have tried eyes glued on the back of my helmet, and also on stalks. None of them worked. The only thing that has worked are the cable ties. Long ones and about 3 of them. It seems to stop them from getting too close. They still will swoop, but don't come as close. Some cyclists in Wagga BUG group do it and thought it was such a great idea. I have many stares and laughs but I don't care.
A couple of things I haven't tried yet but may work - a loaded water pistol and a bag full of mince, a large reflective outline picture of an eagle or owl (with big eyes) attached to backpack or jersey.
The waving arm above helmet works well for me too.
Cheers Sam

Tried the cable tie approach today. Seemed to do the trick. A few maggies came close but none hit the helmut as they had in previous rides without the cable ties.

samcrx3 said:
A couple of things I haven't tried yet but may work - a loaded water pistol and a bag full of mince, a large reflective outline picture of an eagle or owl (with big eyes) attached to backpack or jersey.
The waving arm above helmet works well for me too.
Cheers Sam
Having observed the birds in my area chasing away an eagle, I think it's possible the eagle/owl idea will make you the target of a lot more birds rather than scare them away because they will be paranoid about protecting their nests and more inclined to attack.

oystonp said:
Tried the cable tie approach today. Seemed to do the trick. A few maggies came close but none hit the helmut as they had in previous rides without the cable ties.

Yes, that's what usually happens - they don't attack the helmet. Another trick I used yesterday that seemed to work is an old CD/DVD disc with ribbon through it and tied like a necklace. I put it on and the shiny disc rested between my shoulder blades on my back. A maggie attacked my riding friend but not me. I'll see what happens on future rides.
Cheers, Sam

jur said:
Cable ties! Why didn't I think of that?

<goes off to nick some cable ties from the production area>
CABLE TIES?? TINSEL?? EYES??

wow no wonder they are attacking us!!
lol

no i hate the bastards as much as the next guy but it just seems we have to suck it up a bit and just try to avoid the areas!!
i have noticed over the last few years they are becoming a lot more full on with their attacks, attacking 4 or 5 times before they bugger off!
out the back of the airport (wildwood) in melb is were we need to get the shot guns out!!!!!
they are brutal!!

After reflecting on this issue the last few days, I think I've got just the thing. :D

Drum roll....

A tennis racquet! :eek:

Swish! Thok! NO more problem! :rolleyes:

j.r.hawkins said:
After reflecting on this issue the last few days, I think I've got just the thing. :D

Drum roll....

A tennis racquet! :eek:

Swish! Thok! NO more problem! :rolleyes:
Trouble is, you've got to see them coming...

Hi, today I was attacked incessantly on the left side of my face, lacerating my ear and penetrating my temple with it's beak. My helmet has six or more dents to the lower left side, and blood was streaming down my neck, as a result of this manic attack. Previously I had painted two eyes on the back of my helmet, and had been relatively safe. Now I don't know what to do.

If you're in New Zealand, call your regional council and they'll send a ranger to deal to it, they're a feral pest here. If you're in Oz, bad luck, protected species.

Try cable ties sticking out at all angles from your helmet.

My way of combating attacking magpies is to wear a hat and a second pair of sunglasses at the back of my head. It tends to confuse the birds, and they just circle above my head, unsure which side to attack. In my experience the best idea is to make a circle as big as possible around a magpie nest. And believe me, they will let you know that you are not welcome near their young ones long before you even get close to the tree in which the precious babies are.

Oh that is so funny. Christmas tinsel. Too bad it wasn't that easy with people. Put some tinsel on the back of your hat and it wards them off. Lol I could think of a few things that might work. The magpies are aggressive dive bombers. Lol Now I'll think of stupid people as magpies.