Magpie map

DaveB

Guest
Following from the link cfsmtb posted, I started to setup a Google map
for killer magpie sitings.

http://tinyurl.com/ywclmm

However I logged on to another account and can see the map but can't
update it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Jules you still out there
or have you retired to the Carribean to spend the gazillion dollars from
Bikely?

Once we have them all mapped we'll send Gags out and he can kill them
with his front wheel. :)

DaveB

DaveB wrote:

> However I logged on to another account and can see the map but can't
> update it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Found the GoogleMaps tutorial. Will see how I go.

DaveB

Remember my story about the blighter at Toombul Road/Nudgee Road in
Brisbane, and Patrick Turner told me to toughen up. Have a look at
this on RoadGrime, Paddy!

http://tinyurl.com/3ysr2y

Donga

Donga wrote:

> Remember my story about the blighter at Toombul Road/Nudgee Road in
> Brisbane, and Patrick Turner told me to toughen up. Have a look at
> this on RoadGrime, Paddy!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ysr2y
>
> Donga

I am educated by my experience, and by reported experiences of others,
and sure, there will always be someone who
has come to much more grief than I have or anyone else I've ever known
has.

I think the unfortunate experience of the pictured cyclist is a very
rare thing.
If you expect to be attacked, and are calm about it, maybe you cope
better, and your reflexes are
quicker to brush the bird from your face rather than being stunned by
surprize and panic.

Cycling IS DANGEROUS, compared to doing many things, and maybe a bird
does score someone sometime, and maybe your'e lucky
it wasn't a car; they do much more damage.

But I have NEVER had a maggie try to get under my wrap around goggles.

Last springtime there were days when I was attacked up to eight times in
a 100km ride.

No damage.

There are real risks when you are out being physical, maybe a parachute
don't open,
maybe a tree moves over into the middle of the ski run, maybe a shark
grabs you,
and maybe you catch a nasty cold......

If it ain't one thing, its another.

Don't seem to be as many birds around this year so far.

Patrick Turner.

On Sep 12, 2:26 am, Patrick Turner <[email protected]> wrote:
> Donga wrote:
>
> > Remember my story about the blighter at Toombul Road/Nudgee Road in
> > Brisbane, and Patrick Turner told me to toughen up. Have a look at
> > this on RoadGrime, Paddy!

> >http://tinyurl.com/3ysr2y

> > Donga

> I am educated by my experience, and by reported experiences of others,
> and sure, there will always be someone who
> has come to much more grief than I have or anyone else I've ever known
> has.
>
> I think the unfortunate experience of the pictured cyclist is a very
> rare thing.
> If you expect to be attacked, and are calm about it, maybe you cope
> better, and your reflexes are
> quicker to brush the bird from your face rather than being stunned by
> surprize and panic.
>
> Cycling IS DANGEROUS, compared to doing many things, and maybe a bird
> does score someone sometime, and maybe your'e lucky
> it wasn't a car; they do much more damage.
>
> But I have NEVER had a maggie try to get under my wrap around goggles.
>
> Last springtime there were days when I was attacked up to eight times in
> a 100km ride.
>
> No damage.
>
> There are real risks when you are out being physical, maybe a parachute
> don't open,
> maybe a tree moves over into the middle of the ski run, maybe a shark
> grabs you,
> and maybe you catch a nasty cold......
>
> If it ain't one thing, its another.
>
> Don't seem to be as many birds around this year so far.
>
> Patrick Turner.

I believe I could recruit a good audience, if you would come up and
show us how it is done, with this particular bird.

Donga

Really? Well this bit below says that you are a silly little ******.

> I think the unfortunate experience of the pictured cyclist is a very
> rare thing.
> If you expect to be attacked, and are calm about it, maybe you cope
> better, and your reflexes are quicker to brush the bird from
> your face rather than being stunned by surprize and panic.

Get off your **** and start riding your bicycle and learn something.
then write about it.[1]

> Cycling IS DANGEROUS, compared to doing many things,

Well stay at home and die.

[1] I'll sauce my hat if you post pictures of your anti-magpie helmet.
I'll eat it if I can see the battle scars.

> I believe I could recruit a good audience, if you would come up and
> show us how it is done, with this particular bird.
>
> Donga

Goodness me man, where is your OOMPH?
Have you ever played football?

I did, while at school, and often went home afterwards with bruises and
cuts.

I was well into body contact Rugby Union, where guys attack each other
at speed,
and sometimes break necks in scrums.

Many a tackler was waved aside and a try scored. Someone comes at you to
tackle you down,
so you push the ******* away. Sometimes it works, somtimes not.

Football was for me potentially 100 times more dangerous than cycling
ever could be.

You are going to tell me you cannot protect yourself from a little iddy
biddy birdie?

OK, you'd be unlucky if you lost an eye from a bird attack, but really
the chances of this happening
is quite remote, and reduced to an order of magnitude if
you wear good eyecover. Some cycling glasses are deliberately "styled"
to look mean and cool, and are plain ferkin useless. You want the more
daggy looking
wrap arounds, which close around the face more, thus keeping the air
still behind the plastic,
while keeping out the UV coming from the side direction. They look
uncool, but they ain't BS..
Cycling isn't a fashion parade, its physical business.

I got swooped twice today, while out riding 100km, no problems, as
usual.

I've been told I come from a family of wimps. But I deal firmly and
fairly with the birds.

I'll give you a tip. You are most prone to bird attack when you are
riding up a hill out of the saddle, and don't have a
spare hand to brush a bird from your face. By the time you sit down and
try to wave em away,
they have already scored a hit. So use better goggles.

But I don't bother tryna wave em anywhere.

We ARE fortunate that Wedge Tailed Eagles don't want to nest in suburbia
and swoop cyclists.
Then i would say we might have a real bother, but after about 111,000
km, I am not at all bothered by maggies.

The motorists are the real worry, not the little birdies.

Patrick Turner.

On Sep 12, 9:11 pm, Patrick Turner <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I believe I could recruit a good audience, if you would come up and
> > show us how it is done, with this particular bird.

> > Donga

> Goodness me man, where is your OOMPH?
> Have you ever played football?
>
> I did, while at school, and often went home afterwards with bruises and
> cuts.
>
> I was well into body contact Rugby Union, where guys attack each other
> at speed,
> and sometimes break necks in scrums.
>
> Many a tackler was waved aside and a try scored. Someone comes at you to
> tackle you down,
> so you push the ******* away. Sometimes it works, somtimes not.
>
> Football was for me potentially 100 times more dangerous than cycling
> ever could be.
>
> You are going to tell me you cannot protect yourself from a little iddy
> biddy birdie?
>
> OK, you'd be unlucky if you lost an eye from a bird attack, but really
> the chances of this happening
> is quite remote, and reduced to an order of magnitude if
> you wear good eyecover. Some cycling glasses are deliberately "styled"
> to look mean and cool, and are plain ferkin useless. You want the more
> daggy looking
> wrap arounds, which close around the face more, thus keeping the air
> still behind the plastic,
> while keeping out the UV coming from the side direction. They look
> uncool, but they ain't BS..
> Cycling isn't a fashion parade, its physical business.
>
> I got swooped twice today, while out riding 100km, no problems, as
> usual.
>
> I've been told I come from a family of wimps. But I deal firmly and
> fairly with the birds.
>
> I'll give you a tip. You are most prone to bird attack when you are
> riding up a hill out of the saddle, and don't have a
> spare hand to brush a bird from your face. By the time you sit down and
> try to wave em away,
> they have already scored a hit. So use better goggles.
>
> But I don't bother tryna wave em anywhere.
>
> We ARE fortunate that Wedge Tailed Eagles don't want to nest in suburbia
> and swoop cyclists.
> Then i would say we might have a real bother, but after about 111,000
> km, I am not at all bothered by maggies.
>
> The motorists are the real worry, not the little birdies.
>
> Patrick Turner.

Patrick, I conclude that your magpies are gay compared to ours. So are
your football players.

Donga

Donga said:
[snip]

Patrick, I conclude that your magpies are gay compared to ours. So are
your football players.

Donga

I can't speak for the footballers, or the orientation of the magpies, but I remember that absolute pr$ck of a bird when I lived in brisvegas five years ago. I wonder if it is the same one or just an angry relative. It was not only super aggressive, but it seemed to have a very long range compared to others... the thing wouldn't leave you alone!

Ritch - now in Melbourne where the Magpies are more rabid than the magpies.

On Sep 13, 11:42 pm, ritcho <ritcho.2wu...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>
> > [snip]

> > Patrick, I conclude that your magpies are gay compared to ours. So are
> > your football players.

> > Donga

> I can't speak for the footballers, or the orientation of the magpies,
> but I remember that absolute pr$ck of a bird when I lived in brisvegas
> five years ago. I wonder if it is the same one or just an angry
> relative. It was not only super aggressive, but it seemed to have a
> very long range compared to others... the thing wouldn't leave you
> alone!
>
> Ritch - now in Melbourne where the Magpies are more rabid than the
> magpies.
>
> --
> ritcho

Yeah that would be the one. I just saw that the officials are
capturing him and keeping him until after breeding season is over,
then will release him elsewhere. IMO that's missing a perfectly good
opportunity to execute the f*cker. It's not as if they are in
shortage.

Donga

Donga said:
Yeah that would be the one. I just saw that the officials are
capturing him and keeping him until after breeding season is over,
then will release him elsewhere. IMO that's missing a perfectly good
opportunity to execute the f*cker. It's not as if they are in
shortage.

I'm with you on this one... too much PC/savetheworld/tree hugging going on these days.. rip its f'ing head off!! :)

Patrick Turner said:
Goodness me man, where is your OOMPH?
Have you ever played football?

I was well into body contact Rugby Union, where guys attack each other
at speed,
and sometimes break necks in scrums.

Ahh yeah speaking of MAN-ly, football where you regularly shove your head up between someone else's leg...... doesn't get more MAN-ly than that, I love those I played Rugby Union and I am STRONG arguments.

I don't think anyone is saying a magpie strike itself is going to kill you, however, after living and cycling in Brisbane at some point in my life and going through 2 magpie mating seasons, those things up there are absolutely f*ckin NUTS and turn themselves into missiles, the first time I rode down the airport road during magpie season, I had a magpie following for at least 1 kilometre and not like down in here Melbourne where they bump into, I mean turning themselves into a missile and diving at SPEED, I also had a run in with the magpie or relative of the one these guys are talking about. Thats the only time I decided to ride that road during mating season, I almost got knocked off my bike that day with cars doing 100+ out to the airport a little more than 2 metres from you, constant traffic.

I was swooped here in Melbourne on Wednesday.... literally I was having fun with the thing

Ok the very rough first cut is ready for perusal and comment.

Here's the map. http://magpiemap03.googlemashups.com/

What i really want at the moment is locations of some known pesky birds.

Aims moving forward are:
- different coloured icons depending on how nasty the bird is
- ability for people to add their own birds or updates
- fix the secondary map used to find co-ordinates so that it stops
changing values when you click the map.

DaveB

gplama wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>> Yeah that would be the one. I just saw that the officials are
>> capturing him and keeping him until after breeding season is over,
>> then will release him elsewhere. IMO that's missing a perfectly good
>> opportunity to execute the f*cker. It's not as if they are in
>> shortage.
>>

> I'm with you on this one... too much PC/savetheworld/tree hugging going
> on these days.. rip its f'ing head off!! :)

Almost sounds like a car driver talking about cyclists.

Dorfus