Magpies are bloody psychic

beerwolf

Guest
The other magpie post prompted me to relate this tale from long ago,
in another city. I was being monstered regularly on my commute, by
a particularly nasty specimen. I'd had previous experience with them,
but this was truly The Magpie From Hell.

One weekend, nursing a gashed ear, I bought a cheap industrial
hardhat (this was prior to compulsory helmet laws). I took to it
with jigsaw, araldite, fibreglass and bolts, and fixed onto it a metal
bracket to which I could attach a rat trap.

I now went forth with some confidence - appropriately it seems,
though not for the obvious reason. The magpie simply would never
approach me while I was wearing the rat trap! I could never figure
out how it knew.

The experiment came to its obvious end a couple of weeks later,
when in a moment of distraction I went to pick up the hat and
forgot I hadn't unset the trap .........

--
beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

OOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
ouch ouch ouch ouch!!!

i sympathise with your pain, but thats pretty funny :p

beerwolf wrote:
> The experiment came to its obvious end a couple of weeks later,
> when in a moment of distraction I went to pick up the hat and
> forgot I hadn't unset the trap .........

Did you hear said magpie chortling shortly after? Clever bird!

Donga wrote:
> beerwolf wrote:
>> The experiment came to its obvious end a couple of weeks later,
>> when in a moment of distraction I went to pick up the hat and
>> forgot I hadn't unset the trap .........

> Did you hear said magpie chortling shortly after? Clever bird!

So, using this logic, perhaps if I glue a wedge-tailed eagle to my
helmet then the ba$tards will stay away?! Hmmmm....

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

On 2006-07-27, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
> Donga wrote:
>> beerwolf wrote:
>>> The experiment came to its obvious end a couple of weeks later,
>>> when in a moment of distraction I went to pick up the hat and
>>> forgot I hadn't unset the trap .........

>> Did you hear said magpie chortling shortly after? Clever bird!

> So, using this logic, perhaps if I glue a wedge-tailed eagle to my
> helmet then the ba$tards will stay away?! Hmmmm....

I think that idea has been heavily tested already

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

Cheers

Joel

Joel Mayes wrote:
> On 2006-07-27, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Donga wrote:
>>> Did you hear said magpie chortling shortly after? Clever bird!

>> So, using this logic, perhaps if I glue a wedge-tailed eagle to my
>> helmet then the ba$tards will stay away?! Hmmmm....
>>

> I think that idea has been heavily tested already
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel

Hmmm... also note relevance to previous thread on covering vent holes on
ones helmet. Looks like he's used contact?!

--

Bean Long said:
Donga wrote:
> beerwolf wrote:
>> The experiment came to its obvious end a couple of weeks later,
>> when in a moment of distraction I went to pick up the hat and
>> forgot I hadn't unset the trap .........

> Did you hear said magpie chortling shortly after? Clever bird!

So, using this logic, perhaps if I glue a wedge-tailed eagle to my
helmet then the ba$tards will stay away?! Hmmmm....

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Just be very careful when you are picking it up!!

SteveA