Magpies around Melbourne

hotlipsmc said:
Does anyone know if the magpies are still on the warpath out in the hills?
I don't know about where you are, but here in the Mornington Pennisula they seem to have stopped and I have seen a lot of nearly full grown chicks with their parent. I guess that it is now safe to venture out :)

hotlipsmc said:
Does anyone know if the magpies are still on the warpath out in the hills?
There's still a few around ballarat, but not as many as there was a month or so ago.

Magpie season is usually September through to early Oct. Should have calmed down by now.

I haven't been attacked at all this year in Sydney- our magpies must have discovered someone's illegal plantation :)

This is happened about a km from where i grew up as a kid, i hope he's OK.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11196718%255E26462,00.html

Man fights for life after magpie attack
By Geraldine Mitchell
October 27, 2004

A MAN who crashed his bicycle after a magpie attacked him was fighting for his life in a Gippsland hospital yesterday.

He was taken to the Latrobe Regional Hospital with serious head injuries and later flown to the Alfred where he was in a critical but stable condition last night.

Police said the man fell off his bike while crossing Tom's Bridge north of Morwell about 9am.

The man, 51, told paramedics he had lost control of his bike after a magpie attacked him.

Last year, a Mildura man, 74, died after a magpie attack in which he received a serious eye injury.

Magpies swoop in spring to protect their chicks and territory, according to the Department of Sustainability and Environment.
To prevent attacks, the department suggests travelling in a group or avoiding the area. Cyclists are also urged to dismount and walk past a swoop area.

artemidorus said:
I haven't been attacked at all this year in Sydney- our magpies must have discovered someone's illegal plantation :)
That must be because all the b@$t@rd$ are around Camden.There are afew angry ones around Cawdor the entire stretch leading to the bas eof Old Razorback.And there is also 1 very angry maggie on the stretch leading to Razorback opposite the Shell servo.

was swooped on the old pacific hwy near berowra (sydney) two days ago.... ******* got me on the way back as well.... thought they would've chillled by now

I ride around the Dandenongs every day (commute & work) and so far haven't had a single swoop this year.

flipper said:
I ride around the Dandenongs every day (commute & work) and so far haven't had a single swoop this year.
Having moved back to Melbourne from Brisbane... I have to say it is great to be back in Melbourne, the Magpies down here are a lot less "feral" and I personally think have learn't that cyclists are no threat to them, they only time I can just about guaranteed to get swooped is riding the big loop out via Whittlesea, Kinglake, Yarra Glen and that has to be a certain time of the year as well.

Melbourne seems almost magpie free anytime of the year.

MikeyOz said:
Having moved back to Melbourne from Brisbane... I have to say it is great to be back in Melbourne, the Magpies down here are a lot less "feral" and I personally think have learn't that cyclists are no threat to them, they only time I can just about guaranteed to get swooped is riding the big loop out via Whittlesea, Kinglake, Yarra Glen and that has to be a certain time of the year as well.

Melbourne seems almost magpie free anytime of the year.

G'day MikeyOz, What happened to you mate, did you get brain fade, what's this stuff about moving back to Melbourne from Brisbane, you must be mad? :rolleyes:

Normally it's the other way around with 1,000 mexicans moving up here a week and bringing their bad manners and driving habits with them. :mad:

Just show to go yer, you can't hack it up here in the Sunshine State, they say if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. :D

With regards the "Maggies", they have a special school just down the road from where I live. They teach the Butcher Birds, here in Birkdale on Redland Bay. One little poofta gets me every day as I cut through the park from Birkdale Road to avoid the tin tops. ;)

He's got it down to a real artform, he flies down low, then comes up in a climb from behind and gets me on the left ear. I'm sure he's been playing "Falcon Four" because that manouver is in the flight manual. :eek:

Me thinking smart, I'll cover my left ear and that'll teach the little bugger.

Not so, says he and duly gets me on the right ear using the same technic. :confused:

This is still happening and it's almost Christmas, infact I went through there today at 6.05 pm 20th dec and he was there waiting. After an attack he sits in the tree goes right off calling me all the names that Butcher Birds use, to express their displeasure until I'm well away from his territory. Even the school kids won't go through there for fear of getting set upon. :(

The answer to my problem is I'm moving to Melbourne to get not only get away from the Buther Bird but the Ex-Melbournians as well? :cool:

Only kidding, I'd be as mad as you lot down there if I left my beloved Queensland, "The Smart State", just ask "Premier Pete", he'll fill you in? :D

Yo all come back now? :D

Merry Christmas, have fun and don't stop turning the wheels now? TBC

Brian Cotgrove said:
Normally it's the other way around with 1,000 mexicans moving up here a week and bringing their bad manners and driving habits with them. :mad:
Bad manners! I'd say you've enough of them. Talk of "Mexicans" and "Pooftas" shows how uncivilised you are.

Why not stick to bike talk on a bike forum?

nitrous said:
Bad manners! I'd say you've enough of them. Talk of "Mexicans" and "Pooftas" shows how uncivilised you are.

Why not stick to bike talk on a bike forum?

nitrous, You wouldn't know what civilised is, even if it bit you somewhere. :rolleyes:

Bike forums are supposed to be for bike talk, you say, I didn't start about Magpies either, get it right mate. :mad:

Your problem is not mine, all too ready to have a go at someone who adds a little comment that doesn't suit you, tough I'm worried. :eek:

Thin skinned, touchy, get a life mate, someone else said something about magpies, that's got nothing to do with real cycling, real cyclists just get on with it and don't complain, unlike some? :cool:

Anyway just keep the wheels turning, I do and I "LIVE" in "QUEENSLAND, TOO"

Have a Good Festive season, and remember what the origin of it is as well? :D Mexicans will always come from south of the border?TBC

Brian Cotgrove said:
nitrous, You wouldn't know what civilised is, even if it bit you somewhere. :rolleyes:

Bike forums are supposed to be for bike talk, you say, I didn't start about Magpies either, get it right mate. :mad:

Your problem is not mine, all too ready to have a go at someone who adds a little comment that doesn't suit you, tough I'm worried. :eek:

Thin skinned, touchy, get a life mate, someone else said something about magpies, that's got nothing to do with real cycling, real cyclists just get on with it and don't complain, unlike some? :cool:

Anyway just keep the wheels turning, I do and I "LIVE" in "QUEENSLAND, TOO"

Have a Good Festive season, and remember what the origin of it is as well? :D Mexicans will always come from south of the border?TBC
Same to you. Happy new year........Redneck!

nitrous said:
Same to you. Happy new year........Redneck!

nitrous, is that oxide, if so, take some and we'll all sleep better, "REDNECK" you wouldn't know the meaning of that either chum, as I said "GET A LIFE" and if you can't do that send me your address and I'll send you the fifty cents so you can phone and tell someone who really cares. ;)

Another thing to remember junior, your "Playing Big League" now, don't get out of your comfort zone, of you might just hurt yourself? ;)

Oh yes while we're at it mate, I'm not hiding behind a pseudonym, I've always stood up and taken it on the chin for those able to hand it out, trouble is there aint that many out there. :rolleyes:

When you've been a "BIKE RIDER" (cyclist) as long as me you might know what that means, and if you "CAN'T FIGHT" I would suggest you wear a "BIG HAT". :mad:

Apart from that read the comment that I originally wrote it was in humour, you must lack the ability to appreciate that part of life and I obviously rattled you chain and you know what happens when the chain gets rattled? :rolleyes:

but that's another story, I don't think you would know how to respond to that. :eek:

Have a good festive season and don't worry about it, just keep riding your bike but don't look back unless, it's to see who you've dropped over the last climb?TBC :D

Point taken. Thanks for teaching me a lesson old man.

Oh, by the way, I haven't been swooped by any magpies for a while.

Brian,

The point nitrous was making was that you were using inflammatory and unacceptable language on a public message board.

Perhaps when you are in the company of your friends, it may be appropriate for you to use 'pooftas' as a derogtory term, however when you are in public it is best to consider how others will feel about those sort of things. Have you ever considered that there may be gay cyclists who use this forum?

You may claim that it was 'just a joke' and they should just have a laugh with you, but perhaps it is hard for them to do so when they've been vilified for so many years by people calling them 'dirty pooftas' and what not. What you see as humour, especially when you use sensitive terms such as 'pooftas' and the '1,000 Mexians' with 'bad mannars', someone else is bound to see it as offensive. Nitrous clearly does, and I do to.

So please keep your vile comments to your self.

Cheers

David