Magpies! Known swoopers??

Peter said:
I understand that the poor old maggie goes into testosterone overdrive
in spring when his testes swell to 100 times their normal size.

Wouldn't that alter the magpies aerodynamics somewhat? :)

Patrick Turner said:
What's a tiny scratch anyway? be a man and take it.

Yeah good one... you are just lucky not to get a particularly nasty or aggresive one, I have heard of some pretty bad injuries, losing bits of ear a specialty.

The concern with this one is a large number of riders X lots of
traffic X vicious bird = potential cyclist under vehicle.

Also, he's pretty good at hitting high on the cheekbone just under the
eye. Do eyes bleed when hit by a high-speed beak?

At some point, noble rights for wildlife give way.

Donga

MikeyOz wrote:

> Patrick Turner Wrote:
> > What's a tiny scratch anyway? be a man and take it.
> >

> Yeah good one... you are just lucky not to get a particularly nasty or
> aggresive one, I have heard of some pretty bad injuries, losing bits of
> ear a specialty.

I never have heard of anything really bad about ears.
But eyes are targets, and cases of children having eyes pecked have been
known.

Cyclists should wear eye cover. Mine are daggy 1980s wrap arounds.

There ARE far greater perils out there than the haughty maggies.

Patrick Turner.

On 2007-08-27, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)

> gplama Wrote:
>> Then as I eased into the roundabout in Diamond Creek - TAP... only a
>> friendly peck on the head, a little arm waving and name calling and he
>> went away :)
>>

> Probably just seeing you had a food on you.... :)
>
> maybe take a couple of sausages cut them up and throw them on the road
> near where the magpie is, apparently if you feed them enough, they
> really do remember who you are. My parents basically have one now that
> comes and knocks on the back door, when he wants some food, his mate
> sits on the fence waiting for him to bring the food back.

And a nice subtle way to kill them as they become dependant on you.
Take that you little bastards, slowly! ;P

--
TimC
So y'know, when the girl octopus slaps the boy octopus for being too

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:29:43 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

>> I understand that the poor old maggie goes into testosterone overdrive
>> in spring when his testes swell to 100 times their normal size.

> Wouldn't that alter the magpies aerodynamics somewhat? :)

Nah, I think their brains shrink to compensate...

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Peter Wrote:
> >
> > I understand that the poor old maggie goes into testosterone overdrive
> > in spring when his testes swell to 100 times their normal size.

> Wouldn't that alter the magpies aerodynamics somewhat? :)

Not if you think of size as having more than one dimension

Kingsley said:
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:29:43 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

> Wouldn't that alter the magpies aerodynamics somewhat? :)[/color]

Nah, I think their brains shrink to compensate...

Hey I can think of obvious analogies for males of other species. Ooooooo, warning, warning, danger, danger, don't go there ...

I know of two spots in Mt Dandy where I've been swooped on in previous years
but not at the moment. Sherbrooke Rd virtually at the Tourist Rd and Ridge
Rd just up from the Mt Dandy Bakery. These birds can stay in areas for years
so I'm expecting them to start soon.

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> JoeDe Wrote:
>> A this time of the year Maggie hater!

> I have had a few have a go at me in Melbourne, but just be glad you
> don't live in Brisbane, they seem to be A LOT more aggressive and
> persistant and the season is longer, the airport stretch of road was a
> battle ground at certain times of the year, so I am happy to put up
> with the few that have a bit of a go at me, when I remember what it was
> like in Brisbane.
>
> What I don't understand is how come the mountain areas are generally
> safe havens ?? For example, I have never been attacked at any time
> around Mt Dandenong or even Mt Cootha in Brisbane ??
>

> --
> MikeyOz

On a Saturday couple of years ago, a maggie near the roundabout at Research
gave me a cut on the cheek and scared the **** out of me. The next morning
on a group ride through the same roundabout, I played it safe by staying in
the middle of the group but a fellow cyclist forgot my warnings and was a
little ahead when most likely the same bird had a go at him which resulted
in identical war scars.

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Patrick Turner Wrote:
>> What's a tiny scratch anyway? be a man and take it.
>>

> Yeah good one... you are just lucky not to get a particularly nasty or
> aggresive one, I have heard of some pretty bad injuries, losing bits of
> ear a specialty.
>

> --
> MikeyOz

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:44:13 +1000, TimC
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I think she is referring to male Suburu WRX drivers.

Definitely not to male cyclists. Regular size balls can be bad enough.
Unless you ride a bent.
Hang on, didn't Kingsley just get himself one...

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I think she is referring to male Suburu WRX drivers.

Definitely not to male cyclists. Regular size balls can be bad enough.
Unless you ride a bent.
Hang on, didn't Kingsley just get himself one...

Bollox, it was a direct reference to the lesser Kappa'ed South-Eastern Bogan, unfortunately just like the ones Ray keeps encountering.

JoeDe wrote:

> On a Saturday couple of years ago, a maggie near the roundabout at Research
> gave me a cut on the cheek and scared the **** out of me. The next morning
> on a group ride through the same roundabout, I played it safe by staying in
> the middle of the group but a fellow cyclist forgot my warnings and was a
> little ahead when most likely the same bird had a go at him which resulted
> in identical war scars.

I must be maggie wize. I have had hundreds of attacks from maggies.
I just wave em off, and ride straight, and duck the head a bit when you
hear them comimg.

Neither the bird or I lose. We both make our point.

Patrick Turner.

On Aug 28, 10:27 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2w0...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Aeek Wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:44:13 +1000, TimC
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >I think she is referring to male Suburu WRX drivers.

> > Definitely not to male cyclists. Regular size balls can be bad enough.
> > Unless you ride a bent.
> > Hang on, didn't Kingsley just get himself one...

> Bollox, it was a direct reference to the lesser Kappa'ed South-Eastern
> Bogan, unfortunately just like the ones Ray keeps encountering.
>
> --
> cfsmtb

.... the rellies we all like to deny. How embarrassing!

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:15:28 +1000, Aeek wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:44:13 +1000, TimC
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I think she is referring to male Suburu WRX drivers.

> Definitely not to male cyclists. Regular size balls can be bad enough.
> Unless you ride a bent.
> Hang on, didn't Kingsley just get himself one...

Heh! :p

-kt

--

JoeDe wrote:
> On a Saturday couple of years ago, a maggie near the roundabout at Research
> gave me a cut on the cheek and scared the **** out of me. The next morning
> on a group ride through the same roundabout, I played it safe by staying in
> the middle of the group but a fellow cyclist forgot my warnings and was a
> little ahead when most likely the same bird had a go at him which resulted
> in identical war scars.

That's the most aggressive maggie I've ever come across. He caught me
two years ago and left me bleeding from both ears. I was going downhill
at about 40kmh after the first hit and he still caught me for a second go.

DaveB