Magpies

Travis

Guest
I was swooped in an unusual place today, right on my own doorstep.
Almost the moment I stepped outside of my front door a magpie appeared
and began swooping.

Later in the afternoon I went out again and the magpie wasn't there.

I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask about magpie
swooping behaviour... I was under the impression that they only swoop
when their nest is around and only for a short season in spring when
they breed. I'm not aware of any nearby nests and I thought the
breeding season was over already.

Does this mean I'm going to have to start wearing a helmet to go check
the mail or is it possible this was just a one off brush with a cranky
bird?

Travis

Travis wrote:

> I was swooped in an unusual place today, right on my own
> doorstep. Almost the moment I stepped outside of my front door
> a magpie appeared and began swooping.
>
> Later in the afternoon I went out again and the magpie wasn't
> there.
>
> I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask about
> magpie swooping behaviour... I was under the impression that
> they only swoop when their nest is around and only for a short
> season in spring when they breed. I'm not aware of any nearby
> nests and I thought the breeding season was over already.
>
> Does this mean I'm going to have to start wearing a helmet to
> go check the mail or is it possible this was just a one off
> brush with a cranky bird?

For what they're worth, my personal observations and
conclusions:

Magpies seem to stagger their nesting. Some pairs go early in
the season, and others nest later. I imagine this creates less
pressure on available sites, allowing more pairs to breed.

Swooping seems to stop as soon as the young leave the nest.
They don't swoop to protect young "on the ground".

The exception seems to be the training sessions. Irrespective
of the position of a nest and in full view of the nearly
fully-grown young, they will swoop half-heartedly. I think
this is to teach the young which things to swoop. Birds learn
by mimicing behaviour - the young follow the adults about
watching everything they do.

John

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:03:39 +1100, John Henderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Travis wrote:
>
>> I was swooped in an unusual place today, right on my own
>> doorstep. Almost the moment I stepped outside of my front door
>> a magpie appeared and began swooping.
>>
>> Later in the afternoon I went out again and the magpie wasn't
>> there.
>>
>> I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask about
>> magpie swooping behaviour... I was under the impression that
>> they only swoop when their nest is around and only for a short
>> season in spring when they breed. I'm not aware of any nearby
>> nests and I thought the breeding season was over already.
>>
>> Does this mean I'm going to have to start wearing a helmet to
>> go check the mail or is it possible this was just a one off
>> brush with a cranky bird?

>For what they're worth, my personal observations and
>conclusions:
>
>Magpies seem to stagger their nesting. Some pairs go early in
>the season, and others nest later. I imagine this creates less
>pressure on available sites, allowing more pairs to breed.
>
>Swooping seems to stop as soon as the young leave the nest.
>They don't swoop to protect young "on the ground".
>
>The exception seems to be the training sessions. Irrespective
>of the position of a nest and in full view of the nearly
>fully-grown young, they will swoop half-heartedly. I think
>this is to teach the young which things to swoop. Birds learn
>by mimicing behaviour - the young follow the adults about
>watching everything they do.
>
>John

I recall on the radio about 2 years ago a study in Sth Aus and they
cited in their findings on the cause of swopping was not nesting issue
or protecting the young.
It was young male magpies doing things that young males do, one of
which is the harrass other animals and birds just for the fun of it.
It may be seasonal simply because those male birds all reach a similar
age at that time of the year and start the bad behaviour so there is a
surge of it, but they said it can occur at anytime of the year.
Never heard another word about it since.

But I know from outside my factory which is right next to the Braeside
Park wetlands we get heaps of birds of all kinds flying around the
estate on Sundays when the traffic is gone and evenings mid week.

Many magpies.
Never had any swoop, in fact they come quite close and are fairly
confident birds, some of which have younger ones with them squawking
loudly.
Ive watched the bird life around there for periods and from the look
of it, they like to play games with each other.
Ive seen them playing tag, one chases another around, the chase
reverses. This goes on for a while then they stop and rest for a while
without any interaction.
Then one takes off again the the chase starts again.
Mynahs dance around the larger birds on the ground and annoy them.
Same as they do to domestic cats, all landing near the cat hoping
around and flying off as soon as they get the cats attention.
One after the other in a group of them sitting nearby up high, like a
game of chicken.

Magiies and other birds certainly look like they spend a good deal of
time just passing the time sparing with one another for the fun of it
and playing chicken with domestic cats.

If you have a bird that is swooping in the same spot.
Try this.
Stop and wait till it lands, then walk toward it and make a loud bird
like noise, a screech or the like.
They will fly off and land again, walk toward them again.
In short harrass them a bit by continually approaching them until they
fly off out of sight.
Even go up and kick the tree they are sitting in to harrass them a bit
more.
I suggest they likely will get un nerved enough to leave you alone.
And if birds have the memory of people I suspect they do, do this a
few times and I suggest maybe the bird will leave you alone for good.

I suggest that the more agitated you become or the more you try to
flee, the more fun it makes it for the bird to swoop you.

If nothing else has worked, it can't hurt to try it.

Had exactly the same problem at my place!!!!

I put my bike shoes on at the end of my driveway (so I am not walking on the
cleats)

And while I put my shoes on - the magpie is swooping!!! He then chases me
a bit down the road!

"Travis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was swooped in an unusual place today, right on my own doorstep.
> Almost the moment I stepped outside of my front door a magpie appeared
> and began swooping.
>
> Later in the afternoon I went out again and the magpie wasn't there.
>
> I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask about magpie
> swooping behaviour... I was under the impression that they only swoop
> when their nest is around and only for a short season in spring when
> they breed. I'm not aware of any nearby nests and I thought the
> breeding season was over already.
>
> Does this mean I'm going to have to start wearing a helmet to go check
> the mail or is it possible this was just a one off brush with a cranky
> bird?
>
> Travis

Had exactly the same problem at my place!!!!

I put my bike shoes on at the end of my driveway (so I am not walking on the
cleats)

And while I put my shoes on - the magpie is swooping!!! He then chases me
a bit down the road!

"Travis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was swooped in an unusual place today, right on my own doorstep.
> Almost the moment I stepped outside of my front door a magpie appeared
> and began swooping.
>
> Later in the afternoon I went out again and the magpie wasn't there.
>
> I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask about magpie
> swooping behaviour... I was under the impression that they only swoop
> when their nest is around and only for a short season in spring when
> they breed. I'm not aware of any nearby nests and I thought the
> breeding season was over already.
>
> Does this mean I'm going to have to start wearing a helmet to go check
> the mail or is it possible this was just a one off brush with a cranky
> bird?
>
> Travis

They are still at it up here on the Atherton Tablelands. Rode to work today
and had 2 swoop - only one was keen though. He came down and did the helmut
tapping thing! (sheesh that scares me!) IN fact last week he was a swooper,
this week a proper helmet killer. I have found that the swoopers tend to do
that for a few days, just frightening you then they start attacking you. Be
ware the swooper I say!
Kathy.

On Nov 5, 6:19 pm, "just us" <[email protected]> wrote:
> They are still at it up here on the Atherton Tablelands. Rode to work today
> and had 2 swoop - only one was keen though. He came down and did the helmut
> tapping thing! (sheesh that scares me!) IN fact last week he was a swooper,
> this week a proper helmet killer. I have found that the swoopers tend to do
> that for a few days, just frightening you then they start attacking you. Be
> ware the swooper I say!
> Kathy.

I've still got one or two that are still swooping, but their heart
just isn't in it anymore.

On Nov 6, 10:46 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 5, 6:19 pm, "just us" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > They are still at it up here on the Atherton Tablelands. Rode to work today
> > and had 2 swoop - only one was keen though. He came down and did the helmut
> > tapping thing! (sheesh that scares me!) IN fact last week he was a swooper,
> > this week a proper helmet killer. I have found that the swoopers tend to do
> > that for a few days, just frightening you then they start attacking you. Be
> > ware the swooper I say!
> > Kathy.

> I've still got one or two that are still swooping, but their heart
> just isn't in it anymore.

I've got one about 300m from my home. I think it's the magpie
equivalent of
the P plate drivers. It has nothing to do with protection or such
noble pursuits.
It's just magpie testosterone in action. I'm getting <really> sick of
being
swooped every time I go past.

On Nov 6, 1:00 pm, AndrewJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 10:46 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > On Nov 5, 6:19 pm, "just us" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > They are still at it up here on the Atherton Tablelands. Rode to work today
> > > and had 2 swoop - only one was keen though. He came down and did the helmut
> > > tapping thing! (sheesh that scares me!) IN fact last week he was a swooper,
> > > this week a proper helmet killer. I have found that the swoopers tend to do
> > > that for a few days, just frightening you then they start attacking you. Be
> > > ware the swooper I say!
> > > Kathy.

> > I've still got one or two that are still swooping, but their heart
> > just isn't in it anymore.

> I've got one about 300m from my home. I think it's the magpie
> equivalent of
> the P plate drivers. It has nothing to do with protection or such
> noble pursuits.
> It's just magpie testosterone in action. I'm getting <really> sick of
> being
> swooped every time I go past.

It's become such a part of my afternoon routine, I'm starting to feel
unloved if I'm *not* swooped!

On Nov 6, 3:52 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 6, 1:00 pm, AndrewJ <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've still got one or two that are still swooping, but their heart
> > > just isn't in it anymore.

> > I've got one about 300m from my home. I think it's the magpie
> > equivalent of
> > the P plate drivers. It has nothing to do with protection or such
> > noble pursuits.
> > It's just magpie testosterone in action. I'm getting <really> sick of
> > being
> > swooped every time I go past.

> It's become such a part of my afternoon routine, I'm starting to feel
> unloved if I'm *not* swooped!

As if by magic, today I went up the hill: no swooping. Obviously a
reader
of this group and decided to improve behaviour :)