Magura HS33 Hydros

Mark \

Guest
Hi all,

I'm about to upgrade my Vs to Magura HS33s on my rigid XC. Is there anything I need to be aware of
before I take the plunge? Also, does anyone know of a site (UK £) that's good for cheap Magura
blocks?From what I've read they wear through pads quickly and they're pretty pricey. I'm probably
buying the brake set from Wades (www.wadescycles.co.uk), anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks very much

Mark

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:47:24 +0100, "Mark \(UK\)" <[email protected]> blathered:

>I'm about to upgrade my Vs to Magura HS33s on my rigid XC.

Wise man.

>Is there anything I need to be aware of before I take the plunge?

They're initially fiddly to setup; try and buy them with the hoses already attached and bled, so
that's one less thing to worry about. Follow the instructions, try the Installation Tips here if
you're confused - http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/Magura/contents.htm

Once set up right they're great.

>Also, does anyone know of a site (UK £) that's good for cheap Magura blocks?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

"Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:47:24 +0100, "Mark \(UK\)" <[email protected]> blathered:
>
> >I'm about to upgrade my Vs to Magura HS33s on my rigid XC.
>
> Wise man.
>
> >Is there anything I need to be aware of before I take the plunge?
>
> They're initially fiddly to setup; try and buy them with the hoses already attached and bled, so
> that's one less thing to worry about.

Will have to cut the rear hose to route it through my frame guides (has hydro routers as well as
cable stops). Is this a problem? I read that the olive seals cannot be reused once you detatch the
hose from the brakes. Surely i can route the hose without buying new olives?

> Follow the instructions, try the Installation Tips here if you're confused -
> http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/Magura/contents.htm

Read that site front to back just the other day!

> Once set up right they're great.
>
> >Also, does anyone know of a site (UK £) that's good for cheap Magura blocks?
>
> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

Thanks, guess a tenner isn't too bad for 4 pads, my Vs set me back nearly that much every 6 months.

"Mark (UK)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:47:24 +0100, "Mark \(UK\)" <[email protected]> blathered:
> >
> > >I'm about to upgrade my Vs to Magura HS33s on my rigid XC.
> >
> > Wise man.
> >
> > >Is there anything I need to be aware of before I take the plunge?
> >
> > They're initially fiddly to setup; try and buy them with the hoses already attached and bled, so
> > that's one less thing to worry about.
>
> Will have to cut the rear hose to route it through my frame guides (has hydro routers as well as
> cable stops). Is this a problem? I read that the olive seals cannot be reused once you detatch the
> hose from the brakes. Surely i can route the hose without buying new olives?
>
> > Follow the instructions, try the Installation Tips here if you're confused -
> > http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/Magura/contents.htm
>
> Read that site front to back just the other day!
>
> > Once set up right they're great.
> >
> > >Also, does anyone know of a site (UK £) that's good for cheap Magura blocks?
> >
> > http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/
>
> Thanks, guess a tenner isn't too bad for 4 pads, my Vs set me back nearly that much every
> 6 months.
>

> > Pete
> > ----
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Don't do it! Get discs instead! OK, the initial outlay is greater but think of what you will save by
not having your rims squashed and torn to pieces every 3 months. To say nothing of the time saved
over constant, maddening, fiddling and tuning. You will thank me for butting in! Mark my words! Pat.
(I'm so glad I got discs!)

Good choice (without having to buy new wheels...) Have a look at this (alas in german):
http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/sixcms/media.php/812/0499_4_magura_emsen_ anbauen.pdf
http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/sixcms/media.php/812/0499_4_magura_tuning .pdf

Note that the HS-33 (full set) come with boosters and spare olives for cutting the hoses when
installing, the bleeding kit should not be needed (unless you do it wrong), but the repair kit
(espec for HS-33) would be handy in case of repairs after abuse (ripped hoses etc).

Online stores: http://www.barracuda.be/jump.html (euro 160) http://www.bike2build.nl/ (euro 165)
http://www.cycles4u.de/ (euro 149)

"Mark (UK)" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to upgrade my Vs to Magura HS33s on my rigid XC. Is there
anything
> I need to be aware of before I take the plunge? Also, does anyone know of
> site (UK £) that's good for cheap Magura blocks?From what I've read they wear through pads quickly
> and they're pretty pricey. I'm probably buying
the
> brake set from Wades (www.wadescycles.co.uk), anyone had any experience
with
> them?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Mark

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:21:46 +0100, "Pat" <[email protected]> blathered:

>Don't do it! Get discs instead!

And maybe a new frame, forks & wheels depending on how the OP's bike is setup. Perhaps he wants the
HS33s for a reason.

>To say nothing of the time saved over constant, maddening, fiddling and tuning.

Contaminated pads/disks, leaky seals, pad squeal, warped rotors. With Magura rim brakes - wind in
the adjuster as the pads wear, pop out the pads and press in new ones when they're finished....er,
that's it.

I run disks on one bike, Magura rim brakes on another. I'm happy with both, but the latter are a
much better buy in terms of value.

Pete
----

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Don't do it! Get discs instead! OK, the initial outlay is greater but think of what you will
> save by not
having
> your rims squashed and torn to pieces every 3 months. To say nothing of the time saved over
> constant, maddening, fiddling and
tuning.
> You will thank me for butting in! Mark my words! Pat. (I'm so glad I got discs!)

We've been running Mags on both our trials bikes, and we would use nothing else. Braking power and
modulation are excellent. We've never torn or squashed any rims and they are easy to "fiddle and
tune" if you know what you are doing.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:21:46 +0100, "Pat" <[email protected]> blathered:

> >Don't do it! Get discs instead!
>
> And maybe a new frame, forks & wheels depending on how the OP's bike is setup. Perhaps he wants
> the HS33s for a reason.
>
> >To say nothing of the time saved over constant, maddening, fiddling and tuning.
>
> Contaminated pads/disks, leaky seals, pad squeal, warped rotors. With Magura rim brakes - wind in
> the adjuster as the pads wear, pop out the pads and press in new ones when they're finished....er,
> that's it.
>
> I run disks on one bike, Magura rim brakes on another. I'm happy with both, but the latter are a
> much better buy in terms of value.
>

> Pete
> ----
> http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

No! Pete No! Once you have good pads, contamination and squeal problems are non-existent. Decent
rotors never warp and if they take a knock then a bit of force gets them flat again! If the seals
wear after a few years (like any hydraulic system) then replace 'em for a few pounds. Easy! I'm
sorry you have had bad experiences with discs, Peter, mine have been so much better than rim brakes
that it has made me a bit evangelical! (I had the same problem when I gave up smoking!) I am sure
that Mark has his reasons for wanting those maguras but these will pale into insignificance once he
tastes the full joy that only discs can bring! (Also, I notice that you seem to agree with me on one
of the most important issues - rim wear!- I have to admit that this could be a bit regional- the
peat soil with mixed-in Yorkshire gritstone sand round here is (was!) a rim killer and pad eater in
the winter) Pat.

> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Don't do it! Get discs instead! OK, the initial outlay is greater but think of what you will
> > save by not
> having
> > your rims squashed and torn to pieces every 3 months. To say nothing of the time saved over
> > constant, maddening, fiddling and
> tuning.
> > You will thank me for butting in! Mark my words! Pat. (I'm so glad I got discs!)
>
> We've been running Mags on both our trials bikes, and we would use nothing else. Braking power and
> modulation are excellent. We've never torn or squashed any rims and they are easy to "fiddle and
> tune" if you know what you are doing.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Ah! But have you tried good hydraulic discs? Once you cross to the other side you will find that the
grass really is greener and that you will never return! However, if you live somewhere dry without
our character-building rain and mud then, I have to admit, the benefits may not be so apparent. Even
the local geology makes a difference- gritstone mud and granite mud are hugely different in the
damage they do to rims! If you do all your riding in Moab then cheap cantis with good pads should be
just fine! Pat.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > We've been running Mags on both our trials bikes, and we would use
nothing
> > else. Braking power and modulation are excellent. We've never torn or squashed any rims and they
> > are easy to "fiddle and tune" if you know
what
> > you are doing.
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >

> Ah! But have you tried good hydraulic discs? Once you cross to the other
side you
> will find that the grass really is greener and that you will never return! However, if you live
> somewhere dry without our character-building rain and
mud
> then, I have to admit, the benefits may not be so apparent. Even the local
geology
> makes a difference- gritstone mud and granite mud are hugely different in
the
> damage they do to rims! If you do all your riding in Moab then cheap
cantis with
> good pads should be just fine! Pat.

I run discs on all my other bikes (other than the road bike). Its a different situation when it
comes to trials riding. We don't ride in mud or sandy conditions so there is less damage to the rims
and there is a weight penalty and balance issues with discs.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"Caspar Lugtmeier & Eva Skotarczak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Good choice (without having to buy new wheels...) Have a look at this (alas in german):

http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/sixcms/media.php/812/0499_4_magura_emsen_
> anbauen.pdf

http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/sixcms/media.php/812/0499_4_magura_tuning
> .pdf
>
> Note that the HS-33 (full set) come with boosters and spare olives for cutting the hoses when
> installing, the bleeding kit should not be needed (unless you do it wrong), but the repair kit
> (espec for HS-33) would be handy in case of repairs after abuse (ripped hoses etc).

Ok thats good, didn't realise you got spare olives in the box. I will definiely need to cut the rear
hose for frame routing.

Thanks

> Online stores: http://www.barracuda.be/jump.html (euro 160) http://www.bike2build.nl/ (euro 165)
> http://www.cycles4u.de/ (euro 149)
>

> "Mark (UK)" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm about to upgrade my Vs to Magura HS33s on my rigid XC. Is there
> anything
> > I need to be aware of before I take the plunge? Also, does anyone know
of
> > site (UK £) that's good for cheap Magura blocks?From what I've read they wear through pads
> > quickly and they're pretty pricey. I'm probably buying
> the
> > brake set from Wades (www.wadescycles.co.uk), anyone had any experience
> with
> > them?
> >
> > Thanks very much
> >
> > Mark

"Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:21:46 +0100, "Pat" <[email protected]> blathered:

> >Don't do it! Get discs instead!
>
> And maybe a new frame, forks & wheels depending on how the OP's bike is setup. Perhaps he wants
> the HS33s for a reason.
>
> >To say nothing of the time saved over constant, maddening, fiddling and
tuning.

> Contaminated pads/disks, leaky seals, pad squeal, warped rotors. With Magura rim brakes - wind in
> the adjuster as the pads wear, pop out the pads and press in new ones when they're finished....er,
> that's it.
>
> I run disks on one bike, Magura rim brakes on another. I'm happy with both, but the latter are a
> much better buy in terms of value.
>

> Pete
> ----
> http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

My frame and forks are fully disc ready, but hubs are not. My reason for not going disc is riding
type. My bike is a rigid light alu frame with Z2s. I ride mostly cross country where the most
demanding sections are fast downhill woodland with roots/small rocks and felled trees to cross. I
don't do crazy downhill mountains with huge drop-offs so it would be over-kill to get discs,
considering the huge expense and change to my bike. Maybe one day i'll build a FS machine with
discs, but until then its Mags or Vs...

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Don't do it! Get discs instead! OK, the initial outlay is greater but think of what you will
> > > save by
not
> > having
> > > your rims squashed and torn to pieces every 3 months. To say nothing of the time saved over
> > > constant, maddening, fiddling
and
> > tuning.
> > > You will thank me for butting in! Mark my words! Pat. (I'm so glad I got discs!)
> >
> > We've been running Mags on both our trials bikes, and we would use
nothing
> > else. Braking power and modulation are excellent. We've never torn or squashed any rims and they
> > are easy to "fiddle and tune" if you know
what
> > you are doing.
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >

> Ah! But have you tried good hydraulic discs? Once you cross to the other
side you
> will find that the grass really is greener and that you will never return! However, if you live
> somewhere dry without our character-building rain and
mud
> then, I have to admit, the benefits may not be so apparent. Even the local
geology
> makes a difference- gritstone mud and granite mud are hugely different in
the
> damage they do to rims! If you do all your riding in Moab then cheap
cantis with
> good pads should be just fine! Pat.

I'm in the Midlands so its not quite as extreme as Yorkshire. Tend to avoid deep mud routes in
winter and HS33s will still beat Vs in bad conditions even if they're not as hot as discs, so i'll
still be stopping better in the rain after the upgrade.

"Mark (UK)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:21:46 +0100, "Pat" <[email protected]> blathered:

> > >Don't do it! Get discs instead!
> >
> > And maybe a new frame, forks & wheels depending on how the OP's bike is setup. Perhaps he wants
> > the HS33s for a reason.
> >
> > >To say nothing of the time saved over constant, maddening, fiddling and
> tuning.
> >
> > Contaminated pads/disks, leaky seals, pad squeal, warped rotors. With Magura rim brakes - wind
> > in the adjuster as the pads wear, pop out the pads and press in new ones when they're
> > finished....er, that's it.
> >
> > I run disks on one bike, Magura rim brakes on another. I'm happy with both, but the latter are a
> > much better buy in terms of value.
> >

> > Pete
> > ----
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/
>
> My frame and forks are fully disc ready, but hubs are not. My reason for not going disc is riding
> type. My bike is a rigid light alu frame with Z2s. I ride mostly cross country where the most
> demanding sections are fast downhill woodland with roots/small rocks and felled trees to cross. I
> don't do crazy downhill mountains with huge drop-offs so it would be over-kill to get discs,
> considering the huge expense and change to my bike. Maybe one day i'll build a FS machine with
> discs, but until then its Mags or Vs...

When you're trying to replace your wheels with disc hubs next year you will think of me and say "I
wish I had saved my money and stuck with those Vs so now I could...." Mark my words, er... Mark (OK,
I'll shut up now!) Pat.

Going with the HS33s is the cheaper option, but for your type of riding I would still say that discs
are the "better" option. HS33s weigh as much as a disc setup and they still have all of the weather
related problems of v-brakes.

-Dave

"Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Going with the HS33s is the cheaper option, but for your type of riding I would still say that
> discs are the "better" option. HS33s weigh as much
as
> a disc setup and they still have all of the weather related problems of v-brakes.

Complete set of HS-33's: about 790 grams.

Here are the average weights for most disc brakes available on the market:

http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/Magura/weight_weenie.htm

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:47:26 +0200, "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> blathered:

>Going with the HS33s is the cheaper option, but for your type of riding I would still say that
>discs are the "better" option.

And they'll cost over three times as much, given that he'll need a new set of wheels.

>they still have all of the weather related problems of v-brakes.

The number one weather related problem associated with v-brakes is gritty, graunchy cables leading
to dead, wooden braking. HS33s eliminate this. No they're not disk brakes, but they are a very good,
cost effective alternative.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

"Mark (UK)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to upgrade my Vs to Magura HS33s on my rigid XC. Is there
anything
> I need to be aware of before I take the plunge? Also, does anyone know of
> site (UK £) that's good for cheap Magura blocks?From what I've read they wear through pads quickly
> and they're pretty pricey. I'm probably buying
the
> brake set from Wades (www.wadescycles.co.uk), anyone had any experience
with
> them?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Mark

Today I placed the order for HS33s, should be here tomorrow, could be in for a fun weekend...

Mark