Magura Hs33's

davebee

Jan 15, 2004
I am currently running a hardtail with XT Vees front and rear. I have disk mounts on the forks, but not the frame and my wheelset is also not disc compatible. The weather round here is pretty shitty most of the time (UK).

I am thinking it might be worth upgrading to Margura HS33 rim brakes as an alternative to buying full disks. I am aware that these will tear my rims to shreds but that is not such a great problem as the wheelset is pretty crappy anyway. Once they do fall apart I was thinking of upgrading to something like Hope XC with disk mounts front and rear, and probably a ceramic rim until I can afford to upgrade my frame (probably 2 years time) and switch to disks front and rear.

I have been finding that I get through brake blocks WAAAAAAY too fast with vees and am hoping this will be slower with maggies. (at any rate blocks are cheaper at £14.99 for 4 pairs of blocks compared to £10 for one pair of blocks!)

Any thoughts on the Maggies?

Advice is appreciated.

davebee said:
I am currently running a hardtail with XT Vees front and rear. I have disk mounts on the forks, but not the frame and my wheelset is also not disc compatible. The weather round here is pretty shitty most of the time (UK).

I am thinking it might be worth upgrading to Margura HS33 rim brakes as an alternative to buying full disks. I am aware that these will tear my rims to shreds but that is not such a great problem as the wheelset is pretty crappy anyway. Once they do fall apart I was thinking of upgrading to something like Hope XC with disk mounts front and rear, and probably a ceramic rim until I can afford to upgrade my frame (probably 2 years time) and switch to disks front and rear.

I have been finding that I get through brake blocks WAAAAAAY too fast with vees and am hoping this will be slower with maggies. (at any rate blocks are cheaper at £14.99 for 4 pairs of blocks compared to £10 for one pair of blocks!)

Any thoughts on the Maggies?

Advice is appreciated.

Hi Davebee,

if you are planning to move to disk brakes (sooner or later), you can put an Avid mechanical disk brake (read reviews, they are excellents !!!) on your fork and only change the front hub, and don´t warried about your rims. And when you can change your frame put another disk on the back.

Think about it.

Best regards.

Marcelo