Mahi Mahi Merinade

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by The Ranger, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
    don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?

    Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.

    The Ranger
    --
    "Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand."

    Tags:

  2. Robert Klute

    Robert Klute Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:51:04 -0800, "The Ranger" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
    >don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
    >
    >Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.

    Dry white wine and mustard. Your favorite oil&acid salad dressing Make you own teriyaki marinade and
    cut back on the soy & mirin. Mix some herbs (chervil, savory, or cilantro), etc into some mayonnaise
    and brush on. Yogurt with a little Madras curry powder and cayenne mixed in.

  3. Tex_mex

    Tex_mex Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
    > don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
    >
    > Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.

    I don't know how much fish you have to cover so here is a ratio of ingredients that works very well
    for Mahi Mahi. I make enough to cover the fillets and as much again to make a reduction (add two
    Tbsp sweet butter) for basting and a sauce.
    1/2 cup of filtered or bottled water 1 cup of GOOD Chardonnay.
    2/4 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper pinch of lemon zest pinch of sea salt

  4. Sf

    Sf Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
    > don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
    >
    > Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.

    I'm going to shoot down the shooter and tell you it sounds great... you don't have to make a heavy
    sauce, make it light. It won't over power Mahi Mahi.

    I must say that my absolutely favorite ways are

    1. Plain - grilled over coals <top with coconut & pineapple if you want to be fancy>

    2. teriyaki (not bottled) - which you can broil in the oven

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
    >don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
    >
    >Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.

    Nuoc cham. Not marinated, just brushed on right before as it's broiled (or grilled).

    -sw

  6. On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Tex_mex wrote:

    > I don't know how much fish you have to cover so here is a ratio of ingredients that works very
    > well for Mahi Mahi. I make enough to cover the fillets and as much again to make a reduction (add
    > two Tbsp sweet butter) for basting and a sauce.
    > 1/2 cup of filtered or bottled water 1 cup of GOOD Chardonnay.
    > 1/4 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper pinch of lemon zest pinch of sea salt

    How about adding some lime and cilantro?

    MK

  7. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:07:21 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:51:04 -0800, "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
    > >don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
    > >
    > >Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.
    >
    > Nuoc cham. Not marinated, just brushed on right before as it's broiled (or grilled).

    Not dissing nuoc cham - but, IMO: you need more than that.

  8. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Michael L Kankiewicz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]u...
    > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Tex_mex wrote:
    > > >
    > > I don't know how much fish you have to cover so here is a ratio of ingredients that works very
    > > well for Mahi Mahi. I make enough to cover the fillets and as much again to make a reduction
    > > (add two Tbsp sweet butter) for basting and a sauce.
    > > 1/2 cup of filtered or bottled water 1 cup of GOOD Chardonnay.
    > > 1/4 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper pinch of lemon zest pinch of sea salt
    >
    > How about adding some lime and cilantro?
    >
    > MK

    Next, toss out the wine and throw in a little tequila........

    kili

  9. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    sf nobody writes: "The Ranger"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
    >> don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
    >>
    >> Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.
    >>

    >I'm going to shoot down the shooter and tell you it sounds great... you don't have to make a heavy
    >sauce, make it light. It won't over power Mahi Mahi.

    Vietnamese-style caramelized. Fish sauce, cilantro, garlic and sugar.

    A friend made this once, I thought it was great.

    best,

    Marc
    >I must say that my absolutely favorite ways are
    >
    >1. Plain - grilled over coals <top with coconut & pineapple if you want to be fancy>
    >
    >2. teriyaki (not bottled) - which you can broil in the oven

  10. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
    > don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
    >
    > Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.
    >
    > The Ranger
    > --
    > "Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand."

    Mahi Mahi is really good just brushed with olive oil and grilled (I use a blood orange olive oil
    from O) and then spritzed with lemon or lime and given a nice dusting of fresh ground pepper. Wow, I
    really want some now.

    kimberly