Mahi Mahi Merinade



T

The Ranger

Guest
I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?

Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.

The Ranger
--
"Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand."
 
R

Robert Klute

Guest
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:51:04 -0800, "The Ranger" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
>don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
>
>Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.

Dry white wine and mustard. Your favorite oil&acid salad dressing Make you own teriyaki marinade and
cut back on the soy & mirin. Mix some herbs (chervil, savory, or cilantro), etc into some mayonnaise
and brush on. Yogurt with a little Madras curry powder and cayenne mixed in.
 
T

Tex_mex

Guest
"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
> don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
>
> Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.
>
I don't know how much fish you have to cover so here is a ratio of ingredients that works very well
for Mahi Mahi. I make enough to cover the fillets and as much again to make a reduction (add two
Tbsp sweet butter) for basting and a sauce.
1/2 cup of filtered or bottled water 1 cup of GOOD Chardonnay.
2/4 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper pinch of lemon zest pinch of sea salt
 
S

Sf

Guest
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:51:04 -0800, "The Ranger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
> don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
>
> Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.
>

I'm going to shoot down the shooter and tell you it sounds great... you don't have to make a heavy
sauce, make it light. It won't over power Mahi Mahi.

I must say that my absolutely favorite ways are

1. Plain - grilled over coals <top with coconut & pineapple if you want to be fancy>

2. teriyaki (not bottled) - which you can broil in the oven

Practice safe eating - always use condiments
 
S

Steve Wertz

Guest
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:51:04 -0800, "The Ranger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
>don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
>
>Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.

Nuoc cham. Not marinated, just brushed on right before as it's broiled (or grilled).

-sw
 
M

Michael L Kanki

Guest
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Tex_mex wrote:
> >
> I don't know how much fish you have to cover so here is a ratio of ingredients that works very
> well for Mahi Mahi. I make enough to cover the fillets and as much again to make a reduction (add
> two Tbsp sweet butter) for basting and a sauce.
> 1/2 cup of filtered or bottled water 1 cup of GOOD Chardonnay.
> 1/4 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper pinch of lemon zest pinch of sea salt

How about adding some lime and cilantro?

MK
 
S

Sf

Guest
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:07:21 -0600, Steve Wertz
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:51:04 -0800, "The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
> >don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
> >
> >Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.
>
> Nuoc cham. Not marinated, just brushed on right before as it's broiled (or grilled).
>
Not dissing nuoc cham - but, IMO: you need more than that.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments
 
K

Kilikini

Guest
"Michael L Kankiewicz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]u...
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Tex_mex wrote:
> > >
> > I don't know how much fish you have to cover so here is a ratio of ingredients that works very
> > well for Mahi Mahi. I make enough to cover the fillets and as much again to make a reduction
> > (add two Tbsp sweet butter) for basting and a sauce.
> > 1/2 cup of filtered or bottled water 1 cup of GOOD Chardonnay.
> > 1/4 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper pinch of lemon zest pinch of sea salt
>
> How about adding some lime and cilantro?
>
> MK
>

Next, toss out the wine and throw in a little tequila........

kili
 
M

Mraod

Guest
sf nobody writes: "The Ranger"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
>> don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
>>
>> Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.
>>
>
>I'm going to shoot down the shooter and tell you it sounds great... you don't have to make a heavy
>sauce, make it light. It won't over power Mahi Mahi.

Vietnamese-style caramelized. Fish sauce, cilantro, garlic and sugar.

A friend made this once, I thought it was great.

best,

Marc
>I must say that my absolutely favorite ways are
>
>1. Plain - grilled over coals <top with coconut & pineapple if you want to be fancy>
>
>2. teriyaki (not bottled) - which you can broil in the oven
>
>
 
N

Nexis

Guest
"The Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to marinade the filets but am stuck. I don't want to mask the delicacy of the fish but
> don't want to have it just sit there (without adding anything.) Thoughts and ideas?
>
> Note: A teriyaki-ginger-garlic marinade was already shot down as too heavy-handed.
>
> The Ranger
> --
> "Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand."
>
>

Mahi Mahi is really good just brushed with olive oil and grilled (I use a blood orange olive oil
from O) and then spritzed with lemon or lime and given a nice dusting of fresh ground pepper. Wow, I
really want some now.

kimberly