Mail Condemns Guantanamo Abuses

limerickman said:
"is good ole boy" a derogatory term?

A "good ole boy" is someone that is generally,genuine,human, honest hard working,family oriented with grass roots based values.
In some circles I suppose it could be derogatory, but not to me.
If my definition is lacking or otherwise off the mark I will stand corrected by more learned posters.

jhuskey said:
A "good ole boy" is someone that is generally,genuine,human, honest hard working,family oriented with grass roots based values.
In some circles I suppose it could be derogatory, but not to me.
If my definition is lacking or otherwise off the mark I will stand corrected by more learned posters.
Cindy Sheehan lost her son in Iraq and camps out near the "ranch" in Crawford Texas and wants to IMMEDIATELY get out of Iraq....like yesterday...seems that she feels that her son's death was for naught.

jhuskey said:
True, that is not racism,it can however be taken as an insult.
Fc,if I may correct you on one point, I am actually not a redneck in the purest sense.
Well,at least not on the surface.
I probably do meet the criteria to qualify as "good old boy". and yes there is a difference.
I know,I know, we all look alike to you.I may go into a detailed explaination sometime, when I have had enough alcoholic inspiration, and highlight the differences.
A know all these things JH, no need f'more information old boy. Jest keep the moonshine a coming while the weathers cold.

ptlwp said:
Cindy Sheehan lost her son in Iraq and camps out near the "ranch" in Crawford Texas and wants to IMMEDIATELY get out of Iraq....like yesterday...seems that she feels that her son's death was for naught.

And that has what to do with my definition of good ole boy. Careful what you post next, or I will make you seem more foolish than you can imagine.
Cindy Sheehan ain't got nothing on me!

FredC said:
A know all these things JH, no need f'more information old boy. Jest keep the moonshine a coming while the weathers cold.

FC: You got ta undustn that the dad-burn weathrh ain't got nuthin ta do wit it.
Drank,cuss,and make babies.

for myself, i feel i live up to the visual aspect of the moniker when i dress in bib overalls, and boots, replete with the obligatory straw resistol hat. thusly attired, i then visit the local general store unshaven, more often than not in a patinaed jeep. greet anyone who stares with a "howdy".
gives the tourists some local color to gawk at.

you hear them observe, "look, there's one now".

and thanks, J, for listing these values, which i do try to live up to with the best of my ability.

jhuskey said:

just like some americans want to distance themselves from war induced amputees, psychiatric cases, spousal abusers, broken homes, addicts, people unemployed due to disability, suicides and the other human consequences resulting from the horrors of war.

this is true for some. then there are those who choose to address these all too real issues head on, and these are the people who create a ripple effect of awareness rather than a succumb to a passive acceptance, or perhaps worse yet, finding a way for justification of war.

wolfix said:
The world needs to be reminded that Americans want to distance themselves from the 'Cindy Sheehans" of the world.

Hypnospin said:
awareness
A interesting word........ The word "awareness" is a word that a liberal uses to tell people of his superior intellect. It is one of their favorite words. But usually when they use the word discussing a certain subject and the word "awareness pops up, it is usually a sign they have very little real life experiance in the area they are discussing.
Cindy sheehan is not the only one who has ever suffered. My best friend was killed in Vietnam. My brother came home early. I served at several funerals for the Catholic Church for Vietnam deaths.
Cindy Sheehan does not have America's support. Other then in California, she cannot get but a few people to her book signings and even less at her now defunct speeches.
Cindy Sheehans son made a decision. Maybe his mother was not behind that decision. but it was his choice. A choice made freely.

here are some who have a vast amount of real-life experience
www.veteransforpeace.org
and are in possesion of a great deal of awareness, though maybe not the kind you generalize about here.

one may join as a charter member without having served.

let us never impugn anyone who is antiwar as being inexperienced.

or unpatriotic, for that matter. many who have been through the wringer would not go back, and now denounce war, yet are wholeheartedly patriotic, and as such protest the direction the us finds itself in.

this is a free speech right for any us citizen, even for a mother.

wolfix said:
A interesting word........ The word "awareness" is a word that a liberal uses to tell people of his superior intellect. It is one of their favorite words. But usually when they use the word discussing a certain subject and the word "awareness pops up, it is usually a sign they have very little real life experiance in the area they are discussing.
Cindy sheehan is not the only one who has ever suffered. My best friend was killed in Vietnam. My brother came home early. I served at several funerals for the Catholic Church for Vietnam deaths.
Cindy Sheehan does not have America's support. Other then in California, she cannot get but a few people to her book signings and even less at her now defunct speeches.
Cindy Sheehans son made a decision. Maybe his mother was not behind that decision. but it was his choice. A choice made freely.

"Racism" is a word that's been totally misused and chiefly used as a weapon againts people who complain about liberal immigration or against people like myself who believe each nation state is entitled to a national identity that defines its own historical culture e.t.c.
So, what does racism actually mean?
In my view racism typifies people who look down on or even hate other ethnic groups on the basis of skin colour, culture or religion. It's especially a situation whereby you treat people differently on the basis of race so you don't treat people the same.
However, chauvanism is a bit different than that. The ancient Greeks were chauvanistic but not racist. They excluded foreigners from the Olympic games simply because they weren't Greek but they didn't despise foreigners. They believed their societies should remain Greek and foreigners who lived in Athens didn't have the same status as Athenians (within Athens) - so it was a totally different system to Americanism where all ethnic groups simply become Americans and have equal rights.
However, the U.S. was a nation of immigrants from the beginning so their social structure and immigration policy has to allow for that. Carthage was similar to the U.S. since Hannibal's army was actually a mixed batch of Africans, Spaniards and dozens of other ethnic groups. Just another boring historical point I make. ;)

Scotty_Dog said:
You are half way there. Now look up race.

race
1) A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
2) A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution.

Remember racism works in various ways. In my book, when politicians force indigenous peoples to take in billions of immigrants and then tell us we have to change the structure of our society to integrate them, that's racism too.
To give you an example: Supposing I move to Spain with many other Britons accompanying me and we all complain we don't like bullfighting as it's a cruel sport.
Should the Spanish then prohibit bullfighting and is a Spaniard "racist" if he digs in his heels and states this established custom shouldn't be changed to suit newcomers such as me?
This has always been my gripe. The more immigrants come, the more politicians tell us what we can or cannot do as a result.
Society shouldn't alter its values and traditions to accommodate immigrants but immigrants should accept that society as it is and themselves adapt.

America is a country with a constitution but made of scores of ethnic groups, Irish, German, Russian, African and Hispanic e.t.c. They are all Americans and also have ethnic roots in their respective homelands.
So, yes, it seems out of order to call Americans less educated than Europeans since, hold on a bit..... What about Muhammad Ali? He's an intelligent man with a peaceful outlook but a self-confessed American. Totally different than Bush, I would say, as is Lance Armstrong who is hardly dumb or retarded. :D
How about America's technological elite - they've been ahead of Europe for decades.
No, Americans aren't dumb at all. What we do see is a large population of Americans who lag behind somewhat and don't maybe go to particularly good schools which may be why Americans are stereotyped. In fact I saw one article in a paper over here that sterotyped Americans as being so rotund they had to be loaded into wheelchairs by a crane. But they're not all fat - Colorado is the slimmest state apparently.
Now Madonna she had a good education in the U.S. and she'll tell you she prefers L.A. and New York to London. It was in a U.S. school where Madonna learned to dance properly and got involved in the arts. Hers was a damned good middle-class school, possibly in Michigan not some dive in the suburbs.

Scotty_Dog said:
As the readily available definitions I provided read, racism is not limited to differences in genetically transmitted physical characteristics alone. Racism can be directed toward a nationality.

Take the second definition of each word, and make one sentence by substituting the word "race" by it's actual definition (in bold):
Discriminatory or abusive behavior towards people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution.

If a person (Limerickman and others) makes discriminatory remarks about the people of a particular nation, simply because of the common nationality, then it is racist.

If you believe there is a more appropriate word, please tell me. To me, racist clearly fits the bill.

Carrera said:
America is a country with a constitution but made of scores of ethnic groups, Irish, German, Russian, African and Hispanic e.t.c. They are all Americans and also have ethnic roots in their respective homelands.
So, yes, it seems out of order to call Americans less educated than Europeans since, hold on a bit..... What about Muhammad Ali? He's an intelligent man with a peaceful outlook but a self-confessed American. Totally different than Bush, I would say, as is Lance Armstrong who is hardly dumb or retarded. :D
How about America's technological elite - they've been ahead of Europe for decades.
No, Americans aren't dumb at all. What we do see is a large population of Americans who lag behind somewhat and don't maybe go to particularly good schools which may be why Americans are stereotyped. In fact I saw one article in a paper over here that sterotyped Americans as being so rotund they had to be loaded into wheelchairs by a crane. But they're not all fat - Colorado is the slimmest state apparently.
Now Madonna she had a good education in the U.S. and she'll tell you she prefers L.A. and New York to London. It was in a U.S. school where Madonna learned to dance properly and got involved in the arts. Hers was a damned good middle-class school, possibly in Michigan not some dive in the suburbs.
What about the Willams Sisters who did evolve from a dive in the suburbs?

Scotty_Dog said:
As the readily available definitions I provided read, racism is not limited to differences in genetically transmitted physical characteristics alone. Racism can be directed toward a nationality.

Take the second definition of each word, and make one sentence by substituting the word "race" by it's actual definition (in bold):
Discriminatory or abusive behavior towards people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution.

If a person (Limerickman and others) makes discriminatory remarks about the people of a particular nation, simply because of the common nationality, then it is racist.

If you believe there is a more appropriate word, please tell me. To me, racist clearly fits the bill.
The final arbiter in any question of definition should surely be the Oxford Dictionary.
The Oxford does not mention "nationality" as a definition of race.
I'm sure that you could find "nationality" as a definition of race in a german dictionary,pre-1945.
Some more appropriate phrases might be- "xenophobic","chauvinist","patriotic",or "honest and fair criticism of a group of people,the majority of whom agree with the actions of their regime or they wouldn't have voted for them".

Scotty_Dog said:
racism
1) The prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races.
2) Discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race.

race
1) A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
2) A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution.

Don't you think, as Moderator, you should first retract your obvious racist remarks:

and

and

You subsequently said:

If an insult wasn't intended, what exactly was intended?

Do you have factual knowledge of your generalizations about "most Americans"?

If so, can you provide credible links to those sources?

As a side note, shouldn't a Moderator take reasonable strides to make sure the original posted topic stays within the loose context of said topic, instead of going off on tangents (for pages on end mind you)?
1) Ever hear of the monroe doctrine? The doctrine of "manifest destiny"?If that isn't a prejudice that the us is superior to other nations,what is?
2)Discriminatory and abusive behaviour towards members of other race(s).The us has been meddling,interfering,corrupting,bribing,attacking,invading,robbing and generally "discriminating" against other "races" for most of its history.
I can't think of a country where the us hasn't interfered in some way.Can you?

The U.S. has a heck of a lot in common with ancient Imperial Athens, a naval superpower that forcefully imposed democracy on other regimes. This is what Bush is apparently trying to do and he has this vision of America creating a safer world by importing democracy.
However, just to make a point: We don't have democracy in the U.K. and neither do we have freedom of expression. What we do have is a hollow arrangement of 3 political parties who make decisions on behalf of a population they have little in common with. None of them represents the working classes and all of them have leaders and an elite who come from upper class backgrounds.
Personally I'd like to see the Americans and the British go out and get themselves a democracy and stop acting like sheep (being spoon fed all this baloney from corrupt politicians about how free they're supposed to be). So free, politicians decide when and how to go to war without even a referendum.

stevebaby said:
1) Ever hear of the monroe doctrine? The doctrine of "manifest destiny"?If that isn't a prejudice that the us is superior to other nations,what is?
2)Discriminatory and abusive behaviour towards members of other race(s).The us has been meddling,interfering,corrupting,bribing,attacking,invading,robbing and generally "discriminating" against other "races" for most of its history.
I can't think of a country where the us hasn't interfered in some way.Can you?

Carrera said:
...Personally I'd like to see the Americans and the British go out and get themselves a democracy and stop acting like sheep...
So, do it to it, Pruitt. Get down from that keyboard, Carrera, and go and change your Country. If you don't, you're just being a sheep like the rest of your chums - and you know what we Kiwi's do to sheep don't you?
NZ - The World's next Superpower, bringing democracy, Ug boots and nasal vowels to the oppressed Nations of Planet Earth.