maillot jaune

Bounty Bob

Guest
Armstrong's Discovery Channel teammate and 2005 Giro d'Italia winner
Paolo Savoldelli was there for a while on the final ascent and told
Alessandra Di Stefano of RAI-TV, "We were tired when we got to the base
of the final climb. We tried to get rid of (maillot jaune) before but it
just didn't happen. On the final climb, I closed a gap on Vinokourov and
could have stayed there but Armstrong told me to back off. I wasn't even
one of the riders who were supposed to stay with (Armstrong) today. I
don't think that Lance could follow the attacks of Vinokourov because he
was so strong...today things didn't go well but that's because it was a
really fast stage (45.706 km/h avg.) with a high rhythm."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/?id=results/tour058

-----

Cmon If they were that desperate to get rid of it I'm sure Vinokourov
would have been willing to take it... but noooo.. every time he
tries they stop him!

Armstrong might not like wearing yellow at this point in this race but he
does not want it to go to TMO as that would cause them to organize and
support one GC. He would likely be happy to give it to a Zabrinski or other
non-favorite.

Ken

news:[email protected]...