Mainland Munros that require scrambling?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Matthew Black, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?

    Tags:

  2. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On 28 Jan 2004 06:17:47 -0800, Matthew Black wrote:

    >I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?

    Define scrambling.

  3. Five Cats

    Five Cats Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Phil Cook <[email protected]
    cook.freeserveSPAMTRAP.co.uk> writes
    >On 28 Jan 2004 06:17:47 -0800, Matthew Black wrote:
    >
    >>I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?
    >
    >Define scrambling.

    Also, do you mean one which can *only* be reached by scrambling, or one which *can* be reached by
    scrambling but which has some other routes as well.

    --
    Five Cats Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

  4. Reid

    Reid Guest

    Following up to Matthew Black

    >I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?

    The Aonach Eagach, although you can approach most of it from the ends and back.
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
    etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-

  5. Jiffy

    Jiffy Guest

    There is a scramble up Stuc A' Chroin near Ben Vorlich. It can be avoided if you wish. I ran out of
    time to do it so I can't comment but a quick search on Google should give you more info.

    Cheers, Jiffy

  6. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    On 28 Jan 2004 06:17:47 -0800, [email protected] (Matthew Black)
    wrote:

    >I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?

    Ben A'an Beinn Mheadhoin both have summit tors

    Struggling after that, as all the famous ones have a non scrambling alternative to hit the peak, the
    scrambling is on ridges. (eg Aonach Eagach.

    I suppose Ruadh Stac Mor ,Beinn Eighe and Sopidean a Choire Leith )Liathach) would require some just
    to get past sandstone bands on the ascent.

    Richard Webb

  7. Graham Benny

    Graham Benny Guest

    Matthew Black wrote
    > I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?
    Only Beinn Mheadhoin and Ben Avon require scrambling to reach the actual summits - granite tors in
    both cases. You could add The Saddle but you could miss out Sgurr na Forcan and approach by a less
    standard route. Similarly Aonach Eagach's 2 Munros can be reached without traversing any of the
    ridge as can both Munros on Liathach and An Teallach.

    HTH Graham

  8. Five Cats

    Five Cats Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Ian Dainty
    <[email protected]> writes
    >"Five Cats" <[email protected][127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:[email protected][127.0.0.1]
    >
    >> Also, do you mean one which can *only* be reached by scrambling, or one which *can* be reached by
    >> scrambling but which has some other routes as well.
    >
    >Also, "It depends". Roger C once stated that the majority of Crib Goch could be walked with hands
    >in pockets.

    Yes, I've done that. Also on Striding edge. The Aonach Eagach & Curved Ridge are decidedly
    more serious.

    --
    Five Cats Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

  9. Five Cats

    Five Cats Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Reid <[email protected]> writes
    >Following up to Matthew Black
    >
    >>I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?
    >
    >The Aonach Eagach, although you can approach most of it from the ends and back.

    There are approaches from the north which I believe eliminate all scrambling to the eastern Munro,
    and possibly the western one as well.

    --
    Five Cats Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

  10. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "Five Cats" <[email protected][127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected][127.0.0.1]

    > Also, do you mean one which can *only* be reached by scrambling, or one which *can* be reached by
    > scrambling but which has some other routes as well.

    Also, "It depends". Roger C once stated that the majority of Crib Goch could be walked with hands
    in pockets.

  11. In message <[email protected]>, Matthew Black
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?

    Wouldn't a more interesting question be - which mainland mountains (sic) offer the joys of
    scrambling on the way to the summit?

    --
    Martin Richardson
    216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths')

  12. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:53:32 GMT, RJ Webb wrote:

    >On 28 Jan 2004 06:17:47 -0800, [email protected] (Matthew Black) wrote:
    >
    >>I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?
    >
    >Ben A'an Beinn Mheadhoin both have summit tors

    Forgot about the latter, but it is dead easy scrambling, not exposed at all unless there is a force
    eight blowing.

    >Struggling after that, as all the famous ones have a non scrambling alternative to hit the peak,
    >the scrambling is on ridges. (eg Aonach Eagach.
    >
    >I suppose Ruadh Stac Mor ,Beinn Eighe and Spidean a Choire Leith )Liathach) would require some just
    >to get past sandstone bands on the ascent.

    Beinn Eighe's two Munros present much less of an obstacle to the non scrambler than gaining the
    ridge of Liathach to the east of Spidean a Choire Leith, though that could be got from the other end
    via the bypass path.

  13. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:04:52 +0000, Martin Richardson wrote:

    >In message <[email protected]>, Matthew Black
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?
    >
    >Wouldn't a more interesting question be - which mainland mountains (sic) offer the joys of
    >scrambling on the way to the summit?

    Ben Klibreck, when it blowing a gale.

  14. "Martin Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <[email protected]>,
    Matthew
    > Black <[email protected]> writes
    > >I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?
    >
    > Wouldn't a more interesting question be - which mainland mountains
    (sic)
    > offer the joys of scrambling on the way to the summit?

    Definitely. There are many mainland mountains where good scrambles can be found by simply taking the
    option when it is there. Most of the guidebook routes tend to avoid crags as the paths, specially on
    Munros, tend to be well defined and follow the easy route. Just keep your eyes open for
    opportunities and go for it. Even a few feet of good scrambling can add spice to any hill.

    There are of course great opportunities to scramble without hitting the summits, Northern Cairngorms
    ~ Fiacaill Ridge for example

    Try the book Classic Mountain Scrambles in Scotland by Andrew Dempster ISBN 1 85158 478 1 if you
    want some good ideas before you set out.

    Cheers Graham

  15. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    >There are approaches from the north which I believe eliminate all scrambling to the eastern Munro,
    >and possibly the western one as well.

    Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (sp!) - easy approach from the west and North.

    Richard Webb

  16. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    >Ben Klibreck, when it blowing a gale.

    Been there done that - from Loch Coire with full backpacking kit - needed it for ballast.

    Someone tried to do a Munro round once by getting a climb of some sort on every hill. Quite a
    challenge, but one wee frozen waterfall is all that it takes, just waiting for the sod to freeze is
    the fun bit.

    Bags involving climbing or skiing are highly prized.....

    Richard Webb

  17. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:02:22 +0000, Phil Cook
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:53:32 GMT, RJ Webb wrote:
    >
    >>On 28 Jan 2004 06:17:47 -0800, [email protected] (Matthew Black) wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was wondering which of the Mainland Munro's require scrambling to reach the summit?
    >>
    >>Ben A'an Beinn Mheadhoin both have summit tors
    >
    >Forgot about the latter, but it is dead easy scrambling, not exposed at all unless there is a force
    >eight blowing.

    Or its heavily rimed... I had a fun tussle. Well iced up, but flimsy stuff that would not hold an
    axe placement. My 2nd hardest Munro of my round on the day (Am Basteir was the worst, just one move
    but scary, Inn pinn was roped, so an easy climb as opposed to a gripping "walk")

    Richard Webb

  18. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (RJ Webb) writes:

    > Blimey, that lot would probably need hands just to get up Arthur's Seat. Had plenty of good
    > scrambles up there, yet to get caught.

    Get caught? You mean it's not allowed?

    I thought arthurs seat looked a lot of fun for an inner-city thing.

    --
    Nick Kew

  19. In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook <[email protected]
    cook.freeserveSPAMTRAP.co.uk> writes
    >>Wouldn't a more interesting question be - which mainland mountains (sic) offer the joys of
    >>scrambling on the way to the summit?
    >
    >Ben Klibreck, when it blowing a gale.

    When blowing a gale, all sorts of hills and mountains require scrambling. I think I required hands
    on Wansfell Pike once (before giving up at the last stile).
    --
    Stewart Robert Hinsley

  20. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Wouldn't a more interesting question be - which mainland mountains (sic) offer the joys of
    >scrambling on the way to the summit?

    In England, two of the best must be Sharp Edge (as Richard says below) and Jack's Rake to Pavey Ark.

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com