Maintaining and/or Building FTP during the winter?

Originally Posted by JibberJim .

So 600watts up a 10% hill in 50x20 at 80rpm means the old guy must weigh around 57kg (since the speed is known from the cadence and gearing) and up a hill that is longer than 1 mile (the shorter hill was 1mile) would take 5+ minutes, to produce 600watts for 5 minutes at 57kg gives you a 5 minute power of 10.5 w/kg Or utterly off the charts for any professional cyclist, let alone for an old guy.

"An old guy" you really should get your power meter checked out, it's not been reporting good numbers at all.
While you can do the math I think you made a reading error - neither hill was 1 mile long. In fairness, there is certainly some error in the estimate of my cadence and gearing (my weight is a bit more plus I had a bicycle).

But all in all, nice job. You understand what can be done with power numbers.

I have 2 PowerTaps. They seem to agree.

---

I consider the climb as a 1 minute climb at 300w. I quit my repeats when I take above a minute. The slope was measured by riding up the hill at 250w and watching my speed and then it is just math. (I guess that makes it 30 seconds @ 600w. Not very impressive.)

But again the point was not my ability, but the anger that comes out of the local racers when they think they are racing.

I make no claims about great ability. I get beat by guys in tennis shoes, long pants, and no toe clips.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

While you can do the math I think you made a reading error - neither hill was 1 mile long. In fairness, there is certainly some error in the estimate of my cadence and gering (my weight is a bit more plus I had a bicycle).

But all in all, nice job. You understand what can be done with power numbers.

A.O.G - No evidence or verification of your on-the-bike exploits are necessary for me - I believe your stories verbatim regardless of any alleged "error", which I don't believe you made in either omission or commission because you have no reason to embellish your ability. Your credibility is safe with me - and pooh, pooh on all you naysayers. And it should go without saying that I have full confidence in the calibration and accuracy of your power meter. Keep up the good work. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Dave's advice is always pretty solid advice. For me it has been a very long, successful race season that ended mid-August. I had one big, very difficult ride that I wanted to be in decent form for in October, so I modeled my training accordingly. Now I am just staying active and having fun on the bike, riding when I feel like it. I will slowly taper my on bike training and increase my core and strength training (yoga, P90x, some lifting, etc.). My taper will likely match the change in weather as it gets to the point where riding outdoors will not be possible. I will not do any time on the trainer until January, so if I can't get outdoors from Thanksgiving till then, so be It all of my training will be strength and core with maybe some running. My reasoning for not getting on the trainer is more from a mental aspect, I know how hard it was to train indoors last year and my training hours will be increased this year, up to 18.5 hrs during my last week of base training (hopefully I can do some of this outdoors). I don't want to burn all of my mental fortitude in December when having done so will not matter in July, what will matter is having the ability to click away as planned in the late part of the winter until the weather lifts.

With regards to intensity, I am not to afraid of throwing a couple of 20 minute intervals in once a week, even starting in January. It is the shorter, more intense intervals that I will be shying away from until it gets closer to go time, that and doing multiple days a week of 20 minute intervals (I may start two days of LT intervals as early as mid-February). These things seem to nip away at your mental desire and physical ability to make yourself hurt, if you start them too soon you will find it hard to put yourself in this place come July when it actually counts. Plus if you limit them it makes it easier to make the ones you do quality intervals as opposed to half hearted intervals just to say you did some.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to see what works for me - mentally and physically. I'm going to try to raise my FTP over the winter by following many of the pieces of advice I see here. I loathe training indoors, but I think that mainly comes from the fact I use rollers, and it's hard to watch TV, etc on rollers. All I can do is listen to music - which is fine for a while. I may need to get me a regular trainer so I can watch my recorded shows for the week or something. The North Dallas area gets cold in the winter, but it doesn't compare to what most of you probably endure. The problem here is the 30 degree temps AND the wind. It is windier than heck here. And, I hate the cold wind more than training indoors, so I guess it's inside for me.

haha, 30 degrees and wind during our winters is a nice chance to get outside if there is no snow on the ground!!

30 degrees... I remember riding in cold and rain in those temps last century. LOL

:)