Maintaining fitness after an accident

Bob Ross

Jun 22, 2006
My wife asks:

"I'm off the bike for a few weeks due to a shoulder injury from a bike accident. However, I can use the stationary bike at the gym. Is there a specific type of program I should do to maintain my fitness during recovery?"

Advice/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bob Ross said:
My wife asks:

"I'm off the bike for a few weeks due to a shoulder injury from a bike accident. However, I can use the stationary bike at the gym. Is there a specific type of program I should do to maintain my fitness during recovery?"

Advice/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I fractured my heel, so I'm not in the same boat exactly because I can still ride with little pain, but it definately does effect how often I ride because of swelling.

I'd say do whatever you can. If you can get on a stationary, then do it. I'd suggest 1.5 -2 hour rides at a comforatable tempo as often as you can.

I've had a terrible biking season this summer because Houston is hot, there was a record amount of rainy days, etc. And I still can hit 18 to 22 mph biking somewhere for transportation. Haven't done and avg speed workout in a long time. But when I start a season, after 200 miles I start having a good avg speed. so sometimes time off is no sweat.