Maintaining power on the flat

Davem

Feb 9, 2004
Been using powertap for 3 months and have noticed I can maintain 375watts average on climbs but when it comes to doing intervals on the flat I just cant seem to maintain anything over 300-325watts for anywhere near as long as i can when climbing. Any suggestions as to why this is or how to up the watts on the flat.

Davem said:
Been using powertap for 3 months and have noticed I can maintain 375watts average on climbs but when it comes to doing intervals on the flat I just cant seem to maintain anything over 300-325watts for anywhere near as long as i can when climbing. Any suggestions as to why this is or how to up the watts on the flat.
Very common problem. In fact I am sure that the only way for me to break my 1-minute power figure is to stand up sprinting uphill all the way. I would probably fall off my bike maintaining that kind of power in a flat out 1-minute max interval on a flat.

I believe its very possible to maintain the same power as on a climb, but takes a very special kind of motivation and probabnly training. In general youve got to turn a big gear at a uncomfortable high cadence and try to maintain it. So unlike climbing where the cadence is more natural and the resistance is set, for flat land high power intervals you need to make the power through rpm partially.

I believe it has something to do with the inertia load, the faster you go, the harder it is to put out *** watts. Resistance at 10mph is different than the same power at 30mph. It's odd, but everyone experiences it I'm sure. All my top power averages are on uphills too.