Maintaining Speed

Right on, John!, Additionally I'll add, with time one will develop "Bentistic Musclarity" I too
can't maintain anything near the speeds I do on my recumbent on my DF.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "John Foltz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> PeterS wrote:
> > This is my second season riding my Barcroft Virginia. I am not the strongest rider out there so
> > it could just be me but... I just can't see how other recumbent riders can say they are able to
> > "smoke roadies" etc..
> >
> > While under some road circumstances I can get up to a comparable speed there seems no way that a
> > recumbent rider can maintain the same speeds. I live in Denver and ride on flat to moderately
> > hilly trails. Most are paved some bumpy some very smooth. My observations are that most
> > reasonably fit people on a road bike appear to ride along effortlessly at a much greater speed
> > than I can. (15-17 MPH)
> >
> > I'd be iterested to hear comments from other riders. What speed do you maintain and honestly,
> > are you really competetive with a good road bike?
> >

> Yes, recumbents can and will maintain respectable speeds. Tonight I rode my 'slow' bike - the
> V-Rex without a fairing - and averaged 21 mph for 29 miles. That's an overall computed
> average; cruising speed 'on the flats' ran closer to 23 mph. On my DF road bike I was strictly
> a 17 mph rider.
>
> Am I competitive with a good road bike? Yeah, I'd say so. I've been known to poseur-pass 26 mph
> pacelines. They go ballistic when I ding my bell as I go by, but they are powerless to do anything
> about it. >:)
>
> Too many people expect a recumbent to automatically make them fast, and it ain't gonna happen. The
> aero advantage doesn't even start unless you can first ride at 17 or 18 mph. And that's assuming
> you even *have* an aero advantage. Most American recumbents are only barely better than riding a
> DF on the drops, unless you add a fairing. Work on the engine: get a HR monitor and a book on HR
> training, and use them.
>
> --
>
> John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%) _________(_)`=()___________________(_)=
> (_)_____

On flat ground and slight down hills I can keep with or pass most fit (not racer) upright riders but
as soon as gravity becomes the biggest force I'm fighting not air resistance I lose ground. Hills
keep me more realistic about my fittness level. Of course I have a very aero lowracer so the
differences between me and upright riders are even more extreme. On a side note in the proper
position an upright rider can be quite aero. On one steep hill near me an upright kept within 5 mph
of me at over 50 mph. He was crouched down on the top tube and making himself as small as possible.
It didn't look very safe but it was effective. Craig Optima Baron

[email protected]_nospam (Markku Poysti) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >I'd be iterested to hear comments from other riders. What speed do you maintain and honestly, are
> >you really competetive with a good road bike?
>
> I do about 20 km/h (13.3 mph) computer average speed on a 100 km ride. (some small but steep
> hills, headwind half the time).
>
> Even that speed makes my knees hurt a little. After 5 years of riding i'm still waiting for knees
> to get better before even thinking about fast riding.
>
> I did not have computer when i had upright bike, so it is hard to compare the speed. I remember
> that my butt and ankles hurt like hell when i did a 222 km ride with it. I still have the bike,
> but never use it.

If your looking for more speed get a fairing on it Average speed to work is 21 mph Have done metric
centuries at 30 mph Average speed at the track can be as high as 37 mph Very few days per year I
don't ride Almost never without a fairing Steve "Speedy" Delaire

PeterS wrote:

> This is my second season riding my Barcroft Virginia. I am not the strongest rider out there so it
> could just be me but... I just can't see how other recumbent riders can say they are able to
> "smoke roadies" etc..
>
> While under some road circumstances I can get up to a comparable speed there seems no way that a
> recumbent rider can maintain the same speeds. I live in Denver and ride on flat to moderately
> hilly trails. Most are paved some bumpy some very smooth. My observations are that most reasonably
> fit people on a road bike appear to ride along effortlessly at a much greater speed than I can.
> (15-17 MPH)
>
> I'd be iterested to hear comments from other riders. What speed do you maintain and honestly, are
> you really competetive with a good road bike?
>
> Appreciate your reply

Originally posted by Robert Siegel
Peter, you poor soul. Your mistake is in telling the truth. Some folks on this NG have difficulty
doing that. A few of our regulars are well-conditioned, very fast riders ... but my hunch is there
are not many of them.

I will be the first to admit that I am neither well-conditioned nor fast. I huff and puff up a hill. But, otoh, I do not lie about my speeds. After all, there is no point to lying about your speed. Who cares how fast I am? I don't.

Derek

I share your view entirely. I am just amused by those idiots who claim ridiculous "average" speeds.
I do NOT include as "idiots" the relativbe few serious riders who accurately report their truly
impressive speeds that their age, conditioning and riding habits make possible. We all know who the
really fast guys are on this NG, by the way. I do admire the fast guys but I no longer delude myself
I could possibly keep up with them. It would be hopeless.

However, knowing myself, if I were 20 years younger I would damn well try! ;-))

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Robert Siegel wrote:
> > Peter, you poor soul. Your mistake is in telling the truth. Some folks on this NG have
> > difficulty doing that. A few of our regulars are well-conditioned, very fast riders ... but my
> > hunch is there are not many of them.
>

> I will be the first to admit that I am neither well-conditioned nor fast. I huff and puff up a
> hill. But, otoh, I do not lie about my speeds. After all, there is no point to lying about your
> speed. Who cares how fast I am? I don't.
>
> Derek

I share your view entirely. I am just amused by those idiots who claim ridiculous "average" speeds.
I do NOT include as "idiots" the relatively few serious riders who accurately report their truly

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
>> But, in my case, I don't walk the walk. As in, I've never found the time to ride 100 miles a
>> week. Cletus' idea of commuting is a good one to fit in higher mileage. I'm self employed, so I
>> wake up at work.
>
> You could take 'the long way' to and from work. Since you don't have that daily commute, what do
> you do with all that extra time???

As someone else who works at home, I say "WHAT extra time??" Being self- employed means your time is
flexible -- you can work ANY 70 hours a week that you choose. :)

Add 2 little kids (5 and 7) into the mix, and I'm lucky to get time to SLEEP, let alone ride.

Gary

> I did not have computer when i had upright bike, so it is hard to compare the speed. I remember
> that my butt and ankles hurt like hell when i did a 222 km ride with it. I still have the bike,
> but never use it.

Maybe it is time to look at some of those Tour Easy clone plans that seem to abound in cyberspace.
Wring some benefit from those fine components just languishing there.

>Markku, you need to do some concentrated spinning of the cranks. Your knees should not be hurting
>to ride your bike. It makes me think that you are in too high a gear. Lower your gears and spin at
>a higher cadence. This will improve your speed. What is your cadence that you use regularly? You
>should be spinning 90 plus per minute. This will take the pressure off of your knees and increase
>your speed. Read some of the threads at this forum about cadence. Good Luck!

I don't have cadence meter, but i do spin. I also put MTB crankset to my Vision (22-32-42), which
made spinning on uphill possible. Knees seem to get achy from too much riding. For example when i
did 580 km in three days, i had to go wery slow at the end of last day because of knee pain. I'm
currently trying not to ride much for a week to be in shape for the Pirkka ride...

Re: truthful and believable "average" speeds.

See the following notice from the Gainesville Cycling Club about a ride through the moderately
rolling hills in the horse and cattle country south of Gainesville.
--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

On Saturday, June 7th, the continuing series of "No SAG, No T-Shirt, No Fee" rides
refuses to go away with the next ride visiting the scenic countryside south of
Gainesville. The speed for these rides has historically averaged in excess of 19 mph with
periods where the pace exceeds 25 mph. As a group we try to stay together and we have
been known to slow down to maintain the group.

The ride time has been changed to 7:00 am to take advantage of the lower temperatures in
the morning. We will be departing at 7:00 am, so please arrive earlier to do any setup
you might require.

This months ride variation is described by the Ride Sage as "the last 100 miles of the
600K brevet." All the advantages of riding the brevet only 440K shorter, a lot like
reading the last page in a really good novel to find out how it turns out.

I am doing the Senior Olympics 10k and 5k bike time trials 6/21 The high end of the 65 to 69 age
group. Hope to ave. 24 MPR. on my V2. Last years ave. was overall 25.2 on a DB. I will be the only
bent more than likely. Will report back. BOB MILLIGAN V2

Originally posted by Robert Siegel
I share your view entirely. I am just amused by those idiots who claim ridiculous "average" speeds.
I do NOT include as "idiots" the relatively few serious riders who accurately report their truly
impressive speeds that their age, conditioning and riding habits make possible. We all know who the
really fast guys are on this NG, by the way. I do admire the fast guys but I no longer delude myself
I could possibly keep up with them. It would be hopeless.

However, knowing myself, if I were 20 years younger I would damn well try! ;-))

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Robert Siegel wrote:
> > Peter, you poor soul. Your mistake is in telling the truth. Some folks on this NG have
> > difficulty doing that. A few of our regulars are well-conditioned, very fast riders ... but my
> > hunch is there are not many of them.
>

> I will be the first to admit that I am neither well-conditioned nor fast. I huff and puff up a
> hill. But, otoh, I do not lie about my speeds. After all, there is no point to lying about your
> speed. Who cares how fast I am? I don't.
>
> Derek

What exactly is considered a rediculous speed? I am new to recumbents, I admit that, but have not prevaricated about what I am capable of doing on my V-Rex (which is not one of the faster bikes according to this forum). I did my first century last Sunday. Here are the specifications: 109.5 miles time, elapsed 5hours and 40 minutes. What was my average speed? Maybe I don't know how to calculate it correctly. If this is the case, what is the proper formula. My cyclo computer must be off. (It was set up by the bike shop). I do know that I had a tough time maintaining 14 mph consistantly on my DF. Now on the recumbent, 19 is normal.

Quite fit 52 year old male.

kim

Have your cyclocomputer re-calibrated using the three-rollout-and-average method. After you do that,
if you average 19 mph for a century -- or any serious distance -- you are a very well conditioned,
strong rider.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

> What exactly is considered a rediculous speed? I am new to recumbents, I admit that, but have not
> prevaricated about what I am capable of doing on my V-Rex (which is not one of the faster bikes
> according to this forum). I did my first century last Sunday. Here are the specifications:
> 109.5 miles time, elapsed 5hours and 40 minutes. What was my average speed? Maybe I don't know how
> to calculate it correctly. If this is the case, what is the proper formula. My cyclo computer
> must be off. (It was set up by the bike shop). I do know that I had a tough time maintaining
> 14 mph consistantly on my DF. Now on the recumbent, 19 is normal.
>
> Quite fit 52 year old male.

I suspect that you need to seriously calibrate your wheel circumference. The roll out method
described by Bob is probably the most accurate. Not to disillusion you but I suspect the wheel size
is larger than actual. If this was an organized century, I doubt the organizers would make one that
was 109 miles. So If I assume that it was closer to 100, then that would make yours an 18 mph
century. Still pretty impressive. My last organized century in July was 103 miles at 17.5 mph.

Of course, these numbers are rolling averages using the autostart feature of the computer. These are
the numbers that you will see bounced around on this NG Even with the autostart, stopping for potty
breaks and food will drag a good average down due to having to accellerate and decelerate for rest
stops. My 17.5 mph average was 85 miles non stop and over 21 for the first 50 miles.

I would not call the V-Rex a slouch. There are recent big wheel designs that are lighter and
faster though.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

> What exactly is considered a rediculous speed? I am new to recumbents, I admit that, but have not
> prevaricated about what I am capable of doing on my V-Rex (which is not one of the faster bikes
> according to this forum). I did my first century last Sunday. Here are the specifications:
> 109.5 miles time, elapsed 5hours and 40 minutes. What was my average speed? Maybe I don't know how
> to calculate it correctly. If this is the case, what is the proper formula. My cyclo computer
> must be off. (It was set up by the bike shop). I do know that I had a tough time maintaining
> 14 mph consistantly on my DF. Now on the recumbent, 19 is normal.
>
> Quite fit 52 year old male.

A 36% increase in average speed just by changing from a DF to a recumbent is exceptional. And my hat
is off to you for doing your first century of 109.5 miles in an elapsed time (not riding time) of 5
hours and 40 minutes with an average of over 19 mph. I've done a few centuries and on my best day
ever I had to struggle trying to break 16 mph based on elapsed time for 100 miles. I'm usually
around 12 -13 mph elapsed time. Maybe it's all those flowers I stop to smell along the way.

Anyway I'm feeling so slow that I've gotten to where I don't replace the dead batteries on my bike
computers any more just because I don't want to know how slow I really am. But somehow still I
manage to enjoy the ride just as much if not more without doing all the detailed record keeping.

So if you're passing someone on an old blue Ryan with a dead computer say hi 'cause it's
got to be me.

skip

Cletus, you may be vertically challenged but you are one hell of a recumbent driver. Congratulations
on some impressive riding! And I do be serious!
--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

> My last organized century in July was 103 miles at 17.5 mph. My 17.5 mph average was 85 miles non
> stop and over 21 for the first 50 miles. Cletus D. Lee

Originally posted by Cletus Lee
> What exactly is considered a rediculous speed? I am new to recumbents, I admit that, but have not
> prevaricated about what I am capable of doing on my V-Rex (which is not one of the faster bikes
> according to this forum). I did my first century last Sunday. Here are the specifications:
> 109.5 miles time, elapsed 5hours and 40 minutes. What was my average speed? Maybe I don't know how
> to calculate it correctly. If this is the case, what is the proper formula. My cyclo computer
> must be off. (It was set up by the bike shop). I do know that I had a tough time maintaining
> 14 mph consistantly on my DF. Now on the recumbent, 19 is normal.
>
> Quite fit 52 year old male.

I suspect that you need to seriously calibrate your wheel circumference. The roll out method
described by Bob is probably the most accurate. Not to disillusion you but I suspect the wheel size
is larger than actual. If this was an organized century, I doubt the organizers would make one that
was 109 miles. So If I assume that it was closer to 100, then that would make yours an 18 mph
century. Still pretty impressive. My last organized century in July was 103 miles at 17.5 mph.

Of course, these numbers are rolling averages using the autostart feature of the computer. These are
the numbers that you will see bounced around on this NG Even with the autostart, stopping for potty
breaks and food will drag a good average down due to having to accellerate and decelerate for rest
stops. My 17.5 mph average was 85 miles non stop and over 21 for the first 50 miles.

I would not call the V-Rex a slouch. There are recent big wheel designs that are lighter and
faster though.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Hi Cletus, and Robert, and all who are following this thread. I appreciate your comments, but want to add that the 5 hours and 40 mins are riding time. Not elapsed time, I did not include the stopping time for potty breaks etc. This may be a point of contention about the speed. I think that I would have to add 35 to 40 mins to the overall time in order for the elapsed time to be accurate. I did not realize that you would have to include non riding time to evaluate the overall mph for the distance. In that, I am sorry. On future rides I will take elapsed time into consideration.

Regarding the calculation of the cyclo comp. I was present when the dealer taped the diameter of the front tire (20" primo comet) and he explained to me at that time why he had to measure it and how to calibrate it and did so at that time. This is a very knowledgeable LBS who carry several brands of recumbents, and lot's of 4 to 5k DF's. Lots of Cannondale's.

The roll out method huh? I will reread the thread and see if I understand the principle. If I have further questions I'll shout at ya.

Thanks guys.

kim

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I share your view entirely. I am just amused by those idiots who claim ridiculous "average"
> speeds. I do NOT include as "idiots" the relativbe few serious riders who accurately report their
> truly impressive speeds that their age, conditioning and riding habits make possible. We all know
> who the really fast guys are on this NG, by the way. I do admire the fast guys but I no longer
> delude myself I could possibly keep up with them. It would be hopeless.
>
> However, knowing myself, if I were 20 years younger I would damn well try! ;-))

I just wonder how you decide who is an "idiot", posting inflated averages, and who is not, from just
reading emails? I also wonder why every time the subject of average speeds comes up, some are so
eager to voice skepticism about fast average speeds, loudly proclaim it really doesn't matter and
only a few hardcore, elite riders can really ride fast and only then if they are young and in top
shape from extensive training? I am curious, what are the parameters you feel are necessary for one
to actually be fast as opposed to being an "idiot" and lying about it.

I ask because I am really curious as to what you feel makes it totally unrealistic to ride fast. I
have always been reluctant to post my average speeds because the few times I have, the same
scepticism always surfaces. I consider myself a fairly fast rider but am not a young man(soon to be
51}, am not a perfect physical specimen and most definitely a clydesdale, by biking standards(6'1"
and 235 lbs} and although I try to ride as much as possible, certainly do not ride nearly as much as
others who post here. Because of my profession and the weather here during the winter, my riding is
also very seasonal.

I won't tell my averages because I suspect you wouldn'y believe them, but to respond to the original
post of this thread, I am faster on my Optima Baron, on the flat to rolling terrain here in Central
Illinois, than all but the fastest DF riders on the invitational rides I do. When stiff headwind is
a factor, which is common here, I can

On 28-May-2003, [email protected] (PeterS) wrote:

> This is my second season riding my Barcroft Virginia. I am not the strongest rider out there so it
> could just be me but... I just can't see how other recumbent riders can say they are able to
> "smoke roadies" etc..
>
> While under some road circumstances I can get up to a comparable speed there seems no way that a
> recumbent rider can maintain the same speeds.

I like smoking roadies, but i find that they are hard to keep lit, at my average 13 MPH...

Daniel

Sorry, but I think I screwed up my first post and didn't finish it.

Harry

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I share your view entirely. I am just amused by those idiots who claim ridiculous "average"
> speeds. I do NOT include as "idiots" the relativbe few serious riders who accurately report their
> truly impressive speeds that their age, conditioning and riding habits make possible. We all know
> who the really fast guys are on this NG, by the way. I do admire the fast guys but I no longer
> delude myself I could possibly keep up with them. It would be hopeless.
>
> However, knowing myself, if I were 20 years younger I would damn well try! ;-))

I just wonder how you decide who is an "idiot", posting inflated averages, and who is not, from just
reading emails? I also wonder why every time the subject of average speeds comes up, some are so
eager to voice skepticism about fast average speeds, loudly proclaim it really doesn't matter and
only a few hardcore, elite riders can really ride fast and only then if they are young and in top
shape from extensive training? I am curious, what are the parameters you feel are necessary for one
to actually be fast as opposed to being an "idiot" and lying about it.

I ask because I am really curious as to what you feel makes it totally unrealistic to ride fast. I
have always been reluctant to post my average speeds because the few times I have, the same
scepticism always surfaces. I consider myself a fairly fast rider but am not a young man(soon to be
51}, am not a perfect physical specimen and most definitely a clydesdale, by biking standards(6'1"
and 235 lbs} and although I try to ride as much as possible, certainly do not ride nearly as much as
others who post here. Because of my profession and the weather here during the winter, my riding is
also very seasonal.

I won't tell my averages because I suspect you wouldn't believe them, but to respond to the original
post of this thread, I am faster on my Optima Baron, on the flat to rolling terrain here in Central
Illinois, than all but the fastest DF riders(racer types}, on the invitational rides I do. When
stiff headwind is a factor, which is common here, I can blow almost any DF rider away, pun intended.
I don't think I am extraordinary, just highly motivated to ride fast. Oh yes, I do enjoy my riding,
too, just as much when riding fast as when I ride at a more leisurely pace with others.

Harry Jiles