Maintaining white saddle?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kb1, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Kb1

    Kb1 Guest

    Is there any products available that will help to prolong the life/white finish on a San Marco Regal
    white saddle? I got ahold of a new one, and I plan to use it regularly, but would love to somehow
    avoid the inevitable grease stains and wear/rubbing marks...

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "kb1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there any products available that will help to prolong the life/white finish on a San Marco
    > Regal white saddle?

    Better sense in the first place?

    Bill "someone had to say it" S.

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:43:50 -0300, "kb1" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Is there any products available that will help to prolong the life/white finish on a San Marco
    >Regal white saddle? I got ahold of a new one, and I plan to use it regularly, but would love to
    >somehow avoid the inevitable grease stains and wear/rubbing marks...

    Well, I had intended to post this as a joke, but it might be worth it (once the saddle is old and
    loaded with stains):

    http://www.krylon.com/product/cd_product_detail.asp?sgID=CD03
    - Krylon latex aerosol tough paint, even says for use on bicycles and "ride-ons"

    http://www.krylon.com/product/gp_product_detail.asp?sgID=GP07
    - Krylon for plastic, ought to bond to damn near anything

    --
    Rick "Okay, it's still not a serious consideration" Onanian

  4. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    I ride with San Marco Rolls & Regal saddles, (Black) and have used this stuff for years on my saddles. It sold as a baseball glove conditioner, but it keeps my saddles looking as good as new! (One of the Rolls I own it probably 13 years old but you wouldn't know it to look at it!).

    http://www.sportsensation.com/baseball/f/Baseball_Field_Accessories/Franklin_Dr_Glove_Foam_16189.htm

    I just bought 2 cans on clearance from Wal-Mart for $1.50 each, and a can will last me at least one year and treat 4 saddles.

  5. Q.

    Q. Guest

    You know, people pay top dollar for "aged" and "vintage" guitars ... even if they are artificially
    aged. Perhaps someday you can sell it on eBay as such
    (c:

    I wonder how much my twenty year old wasoncewhitebutnowisyellow Gibson Flying V is worth, now that
    it has the proper patina.

    Sorry, just couldn't resist ...

    c.A.A.

    "kb1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there any products available that will help to prolong the life/white finish on a San Marco
    > Regal white saddle? I got ahold of a new one, and I plan to use it regularly, but would love to
    > somehow avoid the inevitable grease stains and wear/rubbing marks...
    >
    > Thanks!

  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > You know, people pay top dollar for "aged" and "vintage" guitars ... even
    if
    > they are artificially aged. Perhaps someday you can sell it on eBay as
    such
    > (c:
    >
    > I wonder how much my twenty year old wasoncewhitebutnowisyellow Gibson Flying V is worth, now that
    > it has the proper patina.
    >
    > Sorry, just couldn't resist ...
    >
    > C.Q.C.

    Ewww! It's yellow! What have you been doing on it?

    Sorry, just couldn't resist....

    Pat in TX

  7. Larry Fieman

    Larry Fieman Guest

    "> Is there any products available that will help to prolong the life/white
    > finish on a San Marco Regal white saddle?

    > Is there any products available that will help to prolong the life/white finish on a San Marco
    > Regal white saddle?

    I assume it is plastic. Rubbing alcohol and/or soap (I would try liquid dish detergent) and water
    and lots of elbow grease does a great job cleaning white plastic. Andrew Muzi restored a >50 year
    old plastic saddle on a Nottingham 3-speed with this method. Maybe he'll post a reply.

    If it has any leather on it, a little Proofride will go a long way.

    Regards, Larry

  8. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    If it's leather then perhaps shoe polish would be an easy way to restore it??????

    Dave

  9. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Wouldn't shoe polish rub off on your shorts as you were riding?

  10. John Carrier

    John Carrier Guest

    > Is there any products available that will help to prolong the life/white finish on a San Marco
    > Regal white saddle? I got ahold of a new one, and I plan to use it regularly, but would love to
    > somehow avoid the inevitable grease stains and wear/rubbing marks...

    Nope. You can keep it clean, but the white will slowly wear away ... it's not vat-dyed leather. You
    can make it look a lot better with good old-fashioned white shoe polish (liquid or cream). Make sure
    you buff all the residue or your shorts will do it for you.

    R/ John

  11. Kb1

    Kb1 Guest

    Thanks John, sounds like a decent suggestion. Not that the others weren't....um.....

    "John Carrier" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Is there any products available that will help to prolong the life/white finish on a San Marco
    > > Regal white saddle? I got ahold of a new one, and
    > > plan to use it regularly, but would love to somehow avoid the inevitable grease stains and
    > > wear/rubbing marks...
    >
    > Nope. You can keep it clean, but the white will slowly wear away ... it's not vat-dyed leather.
    > You can make it look a lot better with good old-fashioned white shoe polish (liquid or cream).
    > Make sure you buff all the residue or your shorts will do it for you.
    >
    > R/ John

  12. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    ??? I don't know. It doesn't seem to come off of shoes after it has been polished into the leather.

    Perhaps white shorts are in order??????

    Dave

  13. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Larry Fieman wrote:
    > I assume it is plastic. Rubbing alcohol and/or soap (I would try liquid dish detergent) and water
    > and lots of elbow grease does a great job cleaning white plastic. Andrew Muzi restored a >50 year
    > old plastic saddle on a Nottingham 3-speed with this method. Maybe he'll post a reply.
    >
    > If it has any leather on it, a little Proofride will go a long way.

    Yes I do use hand cleaner on things like vinyl saddles, grips, vintage white cable casing, brake
    lever covers, etc. (Bob Denton's SoyDerm is excellent, BTW. He used to frequent r.b.t.
    1.800.769.8748).

    My experience with white leather covered saddles like the Regal (yes, I once owned a white Turbo) is
    that it's easy to stain the leather. Try an aerosol spray intended for leather jackets/upholstery
    instead. I made my white turbo into a Holstein pattern with a black magic marker. That camoflaged
    the stains pretty well.

    Overall, if you ride it, it won't be pristine (like white tape) after a while. The patina of use has
    its own aesthetic appeal.

  14. Dirtroadie

    Dirtroadie Guest

    Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Well, I had intended to post this as a joke, but it might be worth it (once the saddle is old and
    > loaded with stains):
    >
    > http://www.krylon.com/product/cd_product_detail.asp?sgID=CD03
    > - Krylon latex aerosol tough paint, even says for use on bicycles and "ride-ons"
    >
    > http://www.krylon.com/product/gp_product_detail.asp?sgID=GP07
    >- Krylon for plastic, ought to bond to damn near anything

    Not as ridiculous as it sounds. But might I suggest: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinyl.html

    It works pretty well.

    DR

  15. Rick Onanian