Maintaning high cadence

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by xxguitarist, Jun 18, 2004.

1. xxguitarist

xxguitarist New Member

Hey all
    Any tips on keeping a cadence over 100, and still remaining somewhat smooth? Is a cadence that high completely unnessicary? I can easily enough attain cadences of aproximately 90, but was wondering about going higher for spinning up to higher speeds..
    thanks in advance

Tags:

2. Postie

Postie New Member

Hi xxguitarist.

My guess is that it's just a fitness issue. When you say that you aren't smooth at 100 rpm the only thing I can relate that too is if I'm spinning in a gear that is too low. Maybe you're not ready for 100 rpm yet.

Personally I like about 100 rpm because it allows me to be in a low enough gear that it's easier on my knees and keeps the heartbeats per minute pumping as well. Also, since I'm often in a gear that is lower then my mates, I can usually shift up a gear (to a harder one) and pour it on for fast acceleration.

Then, of course, I like to take a rest. :)

3. zperrys

zperrys New Member

I prefer to spin rather than to mash the pedals in a higher gear.

I read an article years ago that spinning was the way to go (way before Lance showed that this was the way to climb big mountain passes and win time trials). So I got on my trainer and decided that I would spin, rather than mash big gears. I've never regretted it.

So, I recommend that you get a bike computer with a cadence mount, and ride the flats (or in your living room on your trainer) to work on spinning. You'll be glad.