maintenance books

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Casm85, May 12, 2003.

  1. Casm85

    Casm85 Guest

    Hi

    ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book. I've been riding seriously for just over a year now
    and feel it's about time I learned the important stuff.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 09:01:56 +0100, "casm85" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book.

    www.sheldonbrown.com

    Assumes the basics, but it's _much_better than any book I've seen on how to do more complex tasks,
    and to do them right.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    >> ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book.
    >
    > www.sheldonbrown.com
    >
    > Assumes the basics, but it's _much_better than any book I've seen on how to do more complex tasks,
    > and to do them right.

    Another useful website is: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

    ~PB

  4. Mick Haddock

    Mick Haddock Guest

    Both those sites are excellent.

    If you prefer the printed page, you can also get the Park info in a printed "Tool School" manual.

    It's available through Madison stockists for a little under £20 I think.

    > >> ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book.
    > >
    > > www.sheldonbrown.com
    > >
    > > Assumes the basics, but it's _much_better than any book I've seen on how to do more complex
    > > tasks, and to do them right.
    >
    > Another useful website is: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
    >
    > ~PB

  5. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "casm85" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book. I've been riding
    seriously
    > for just over a year now and feel it's about time I learned the important stuff.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    I started with Haynes' "The Bike Book". It's clear, comprehensive, well illustrated and assumes
    little prior knowledge. I'm more likely to use Sheldon Brown's website or the Park Tools site now
    (and post any conflicting advice to the learned urc panel for adjudication) but sometimes I just
    prefer to use a book rather than a screen. Occasionally the Haynes book is not detailed enough or
    advises without giving reasons behind advice, but, before I discovered websites, newsgroups etc., I
    did all my regular maintenance and even a complete winter overhaul using only it. tony R.

  6. Mark Enderby

    Mark Enderby Guest

    I'd agree with Haynes, having spent some time searching. It includes all the "new" technologies such
    a vee-brakes, suspension etc which weren't covered by my oil-engrained Richard's Bicycle Book. It's
    a shame the latter was never updated :-(

    --
    Cheers, Mark Enderby

    "tony R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "casm85" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book. I've been riding
    > seriously
    > > for just over a year now and feel it's about time I learned the
    important
    > > stuff.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance.
    > >
    > I started with Haynes' "The Bike Book". It's clear, comprehensive, well illustrated and assumes
    > little prior knowledge. I'm more likely to use Sheldon Brown's website or the Park Tools site now
    > (and post any
    conflicting
    > advice to the learned urc panel for adjudication) but sometimes I just prefer to use a book rather
    > than a screen.
    Occasionally
    > the Haynes book is not detailed enough or advises without giving reasons behind advice, but,
    > before I discovered websites, newsgroups etc., I did
    all
    > my regular maintenance and even a complete winter overhaul using only it. tony R.

  7. J-P.S

    J-P.S Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:02:07 +0100, tony R scrawled: ) I started with Haynes' "The Bike Book". It's
    clear, comprehensive, well ) illustrated and assumes little prior knowledge.

    Speaking of which, for those that wanted them, I can't get out of work to get to Blackwell's and get
    them now, as I work in Kidlington and am away for the next few weekends. I think the Blackwell's
    closing-down shop has plenty yet.

    J-P
    --
    If God had built the snakes it would make sense, since God is wrathful. However, I understand you
    claim to have built them, and so your motivation is obscure. Please clarify, by return of post.

  8. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote: ( >I think the Blackwell's closing-down
    shop has ) >plenty yet. ( ) WHAT?!?! Blackwell's CLOSING DOWN?!?! Tell me it ain't so!

    Taint so.

    It's their closing-down shop, as opposed to the others.

    Calm down, that man. They are apparently letting go of the lease on what you probably think of as
    the Children's Bookshop, for that is what it was, which has been full for a while of their ex-sale
    stock. They're selling it at half sale price (hence the GBP 1.49 Haynes Bike Books).

    Broad Street is gradually becoming a row of empty shops.

    Now, Thornton's, they have gone. Sadly. Not a place to buy a book, but just the sort of place to
    meet other pwfts who swear by their tattered copy of Driff's.

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 16:46:27 +0000 (UTC), "j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think the Blackwell's closing-down shop has plenty yet.

    WHAT?!?! Blackwell's CLOSING DOWN?!?! Tell me it ain't so!

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 20:03:26 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Geraint
    Jones) wrote:

    > ) WHAT?!?! Blackwell's CLOSING DOWN?!?! Tell me it ain't so!
    >
    >Taint so.

    >It's their closing-down shop, as opposed to the others.

    Breathes sigh of relief and goes back to browsing the Blackwell's music catalogue...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Mark Enderby

    Mark Enderby Guest

    But beware, these are old editions and don't have things like vee-brakes. There is a new (4th?)
    edition with is fully updated.

    --
    Cheers, Mark Enderby

    news:[email protected]...