maintenance books

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Casm85

Hi

..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book. I've been riding seriously for just over a year now
and feel it's about time I learned the important stuff.

Many thanks in advance.

On Mon, 12 May 2003 09:01:56 +0100, "casm85" <[email protected]> wrote:

> ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book.

www.sheldonbrown.com

Assumes the basics, but it's _much_better than any book I've seen on how to do more complex tasks,
and to do them right.

Both those sites are excellent.

If you prefer the printed page, you can also get the Park info in a printed "Tool School" manual.

It's available through Madison stockists for a little under £20 I think.

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> >> ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book.
> >
> > www.sheldonbrown.com
> >
> > Assumes the basics, but it's _much_better than any book I've seen on how to do more complex
> > tasks, and to do them right.
>
> Another useful website is: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
>
> ~PB

"casm85" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book. I've been riding
seriously
> for just over a year now and feel it's about time I learned the important stuff.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
I started with Haynes' "The Bike Book". It's clear, comprehensive, well illustrated and assumes
little prior knowledge. I'm more likely to use Sheldon Brown's website or the Park Tools site now
(and post any conflicting advice to the learned urc panel for adjudication) but sometimes I just
prefer to use a book rather than a screen. Occasionally the Haynes book is not detailed enough or
advises without giving reasons behind advice, but, before I discovered websites, newsgroups etc., I
did all my regular maintenance and even a complete winter overhaul using only it. tony R.

I'd agree with Haynes, having spent some time searching. It includes all the "new" technologies such
a vee-brakes, suspension etc which weren't covered by my oil-engrained Richard's Bicycle Book. It's
a shame the latter was never updated :-(

--
Cheers, Mark Enderby

"tony R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "casm85" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi
> >
> > ..can anyone recomend a good maintenace book. I've been riding
> seriously
> > for just over a year now and feel it's about time I learned the
important
> > stuff.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >
> I started with Haynes' "The Bike Book". It's clear, comprehensive, well illustrated and assumes
> little prior knowledge. I'm more likely to use Sheldon Brown's website or the Park Tools site now
> (and post any
conflicting
> advice to the learned urc panel for adjudication) but sometimes I just prefer to use a book rather
> than a screen.
Occasionally
> the Haynes book is not detailed enough or advises without giving reasons behind advice, but,
> before I discovered websites, newsgroups etc., I did
all
> my regular maintenance and even a complete winter overhaul using only it. tony R.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:02:07 +0100, tony R scrawled: ) I started with Haynes' "The Bike Book". It's
clear, comprehensive, well ) illustrated and assumes little prior knowledge.

Speaking of which, for those that wanted them, I can't get out of work to get to Blackwell's and get
them now, as I work in Kidlington and am away for the next few weekends. I think the Blackwell's
closing-down shop has plenty yet.

J-P
--
If God had built the snakes it would make sense, since God is wrathful. However, I understand you
claim to have built them, and so your motivation is obscure. Please clarify, by return of post.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote: ( >I think the Blackwell's closing-down
shop has ) >plenty yet. ( ) WHAT?!?! Blackwell's CLOSING DOWN?!?! Tell me it ain't so!

Taint so.

It's their closing-down shop, as opposed to the others.

Calm down, that man. They are apparently letting go of the lease on what you probably think of as
the Children's Bookshop, for that is what it was, which has been full for a while of their ex-sale
stock. They're selling it at half sale price (hence the GBP 1.49 Haynes Bike Books).

Broad Street is gradually becoming a row of empty shops.

Now, Thornton's, they have gone. Sadly. Not a place to buy a book, but just the sort of place to
meet other pwfts who swear by their tattered copy of Driff's.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 16:46:27 +0000 (UTC), "j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I think the Blackwell's closing-down shop has plenty yet.

WHAT?!?! Blackwell's CLOSING DOWN?!?! Tell me it ain't so!

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 20:03:26 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Geraint
Jones) wrote:

> ) WHAT?!?! Blackwell's CLOSING DOWN?!?! Tell me it ain't so!
>
>Taint so.

>It's their closing-down shop, as opposed to the others.

Breathes sigh of relief and goes back to browsing the Blackwell's music catalogue...

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

But beware, these are old editions and don't have things like vee-brakes. There is a new (4th?)
edition with is fully updated.

--
Cheers, Mark Enderby

"j-p.s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:02:07 +0100, tony R scrawled: ) I started with Haynes' "The Bike Book".
> It's clear, comprehensive, well ) illustrated and assumes little prior knowledge.
>
> Speaking of which, for those that wanted them, I can't get out of work to get to Blackwell's and
> get them now, as I work in Kidlington and am away for the next few weekends. I think the
> Blackwell's closing-down shop has plenty yet.
>
> J-P
> --
> If God had built the snakes it would make sense, since God is wrathful. However, I understand you
> claim to have built them, and so your motivation is obscure. Please clarify, by return of post.

Status
Not open for further replies.